Wow - bibliographies!

Old October 12th 03, 05:06 AM
Tom L-M

Default Wow - bibliographies!

I finally took the plunge and bought my first bibliography, the new O'Brian:
T.E Lawrence, new, for a bargain price of 36 pounds. At a whopping 894 pages
it contains oodles of information - I love it, have found books that I own,
but didnt have in my Lawrence collection have references too him!

Anyway, I have had a taste and am tempted to purchase another for either my
Greene collection, or perahaps my new topic of Middle Eastern Travel. So,
can anyone recomend an edition of either of the above?

Many thanks,

Tom L-M

Old October 12th 03, 05:15 PM
Jerry Morris

(Tom=A0L-M) wrote:
I finally took the plunge and bought my first bibliography, the new
O'Brian: T.E Lawrence, new, for a bargain price of 36 pounds. At a
whopping 894 pages it contains oodles of information - I love it, have
found books that I own, but didnt have in my Lawrence collection have
references too him!
Anyway, I have had a taste and am tempted to purchase another for either
my Greene collection, or perahaps my new topic of Middle Eastern Travel.
So, can anyone recomend an edition of either of the above?
Many thanks,
Tom L-M

Tom,

Welcome to my world, the world of books about books!

I'm a little confused here. There's a bookseller on abebooks who has a
1998 Graham Greene bibliography listed for $190; however, the same
bibliography, by the same author (Brennen), and with the same number of
pages (380), is listed on the Oxford University Press website for sixty
quid, but it isn't due out until January,2004. Go figger.

Scarecrow Press published a bibliography on Graham Greene in 1981 which
is 401 pages long and is relatively inexpensive. Since Graham Greene
was a Catholic Convert, perhaps Bill Klimon might be aware of the
usefulness of this bibliography. The fact that Scarecrow Press was the
publisher already says something good about the book.

Another source is the 1996 Sotheby's Graham Greene Auction Catalogue and
Bibliography, featuring 226 lots of the collection of Charles Ives
Sullyan Jr..
http://www.canoe.ca/JamBooksFeatures/greene_graham.html

I recently acquired the Autobiographical Sketch...and Bibliography
of..Edwin Wolf 2nd, Philadelphia,1991, from Colophon Bookshop. I wanted
it because I was impressed with his biography of Rosenbach, and wanted
more. In his autobiography, Wolf mentions that Oxford University Press
was supposed to be the publisher of the biography. Wolf personally typed
1200 pages, but Oxford said it was too long. He turned in 800 typed
pages, and Oxford still said it was too long. He had such people as
Donald and Mary Hyde, and Frederick Adams read portions of it; they told
him not to abridge it any further. Somehow, William Targ, at World
Publishing got wind of it, and the rest is history.
The published version, incidentally, had 618 pages.

I mention the anecdote above because Oxford's Graham Greene bibliography
has less pages than the Scarecow Press edition which was published over
twenty years ago. Are the Oxford editors misers when it comes to the
amount of pages? In defense of Oxford, this policy may not apply to
bibliographies. They did not spare the ink when they publsihed
Fleeman's Bibliogaphy of the Works of Samuel Johnson in 2000. There are
a total of 1972 page in the two massive volumes.

Middle Eastern Travel

Are you collecting modern editions of Middle Eastern Travel or
antiquarian editions?

JerryMorris

Welcome to Moi's Books About Books: http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7
My Sentimental Library http://www.picturetrail.com/mylibrary and
moislibrary.com http://www.tinyurl.com/hisn

Old October 12th 03, 08:23 PM
Tom L-M

Thanks for the great info Jerry. I will look into the scarecrow Greene
bibliography soon.

Mid East Travel

I am collection antiquarian editiosn, like Arabia Deserta, with the Arabs in
tent and twon etc.

Cheers,

Tom L-M

(Writing an essay on Frankenstein, hence short reply)

Old October 13th 03, 12:28 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

Jerry Morris wrote:

I recently acquired the Autobiographical Sketch...and Bibliography
of..Edwin Wolf 2nd, Philadelphia,1991, from Colophon Bookshop...

I don't have much to say about that, except that it caught my eye because
the most valuable book in my collection
(http://pweb.sophia.ac.jp/~j-yamamo/Hours/index.html) has Wolf's "EW2" on
the front free endpaper.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old October 13th 03, 02:05 AM
Jerry Morris

Tom wrote and I snipped:
I am collection antiquarian editiosn, like Arabia Deserta, with the

Arabs in tent and twon etc.
Cheers,
Tom L-M

Tom,

Sonnenschein's Best Books recommends the following bibliography that was
first published in 1875, and reprinted in 1998. It contains listings of
3696 books pertaining to Africa and Arabia. I hope you can read the
French text, though. You can find some bibliographies in English by
searching the words travel, bibliography, and arabia on abebooks.

=A0Gay Jean=A0Bibliographie des Ouvrages Relatifs a L'Afrique et a
L'Arabie Catalogue Methodique de tous les ouvrages francais & des
principaux en langues etrangeres traitant de la Geographie, de
l'Histoire, du Commerce, des Lettres & des Arts de l'Afrique & de
l'Arabie.
.................................................. .

(John=A0Yamamoto-Wilson)

(
http://pweb.sophia.ac.jp/~j-yamamo/Hours/index.html) has Wolf's "EW2"
on the front free endpaper.
--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

John,

A hell of a provenance! After spending thirty years with the Library
Company, not to mention his years with Rosenbach before that, ee
prabably had an awesome library; yet, he makes no mention of his own
books in his autobiography.

Another EW2 anecdote from his autobiography! As World War II was
winding down, Wolf found himself in Gulda, Germany as a Special Agent
in the Counter-Intelligence Corps (American Gestapo). Being a bookman,
he decided to see if Gulda's Gutenberg Bible and its Illuminated
manuscripts from the twelth-century had survived the bombings. Although
the library had been hit, the librarian told Wolf that the treasures had
been dispersed to the vicars in the villages for safekeeping. He
convinced the librarian that the books would be safer in a bank vault,
was told where the books were hidden, and deposited them in the bank
vault. In 1982 he returned to Fulda and saw many of the books he had
recovered on display in their exhibition cases. A local reporter called
him "Der Retter' der Gutenberg-Bibel."

..........too bad, we didn't have an EW2 in Iraq eh?

Old October 13th 03, 08:00 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

Jerry Morris wrote:

A hell of a provenance!

Yes, indeed. He apparently bought it in the 1930s from a London dealer named
Simpson (if my memory serves me right). I've often wondered what he paid for
it. There is a price on the front pastedown of what looks like one pound
fifteen shillings, but it's very faded and hard to tell for sure. But even
in the 1930s a book of hours would surely have cost more than that!

The book has marks indicating it was part of at least two library
collections. One - on a title page that (although it is on vellum like the
rest of the book) postdates the book itself by hundreds of years - reads,
"A.3615" followed by "A45: No. 2." These may be two separate library
catalogue numbers, though they are both written in black ink in a similar
hand, perhaps the same hand that wrote the title page itself and added the
page numberings throughout the book.

My guess - based in part on manuscript additions to the text - is that this
book of hours had a long working life and actually remained in use as a book
of devotion until not long before it was rebound in 1733. These catalogue
entries and page numbers may date from the time when it was rebound. The
vellum leaf used to write the title page may have previously been an
endpaper, and there is another vellum leaf at the back, partly printed
(indicating the date & other details in French) and partly handwritten (in
French & Latin). Unfortunately, part of the text was cut away during the
binding, making it hard to decipher. There is also a library catalogue entry
on the second front free endpaper. It reads "846 si.zz 1878".

Those catalogue numbers might give a hint as to the earlier provenance of
the book, but darned if I know how to crack it!

BTW, this was my first attempt at creating some web pages about a book I
own, and it's badly in need of updating. I did it on Microsoft Publisher,
which converts the image files into bitmap files that cannot then be
reconverted into jpg files and compressed. It's all so long ago I no longer
have my original scans, so I'm going to have to take a whole new set of
digital images. With so many *other* things on my plate, I guess I'm not
going to get round to this for a while. Apologies to those who do not have a
broadband internet connection!

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com