Long-term storage of ballpoints

Old March 4th 09, 09:27 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

Default Long-term storage of ballpoints

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
"Bluesea" writes:

I can't think of anything for your Mont Blanc at this time. Because
the
refills are proprietary and the pen's too nice to take to the field,
your
options are limited.

I wonder what kind of field work we are talking about? I have to admit
to living dangerously with my MontBlanc. It's just that I like writing
with it so much that I prefer to take it out to the "field" (which is
just my University and in a backpack). Ironically, the one time I did
damage it wasn't because of the field work, but because I left it in
my
pocket once and it went through the dryer. That wasn't a pretty thing
see, though most of the pen was just fine.

Ouch! Did it cost a fortune to get it fixed up?

By "field", I just mean using it outside. I carry my favourite Sailor fp
everywhere in my shirt pocket, but if I want to write myself a reminder
in the street, or write on public transport (for example), I use the
ballpoint. It's more practical, and it will probably survive being
dropped.

--
Alan

Old March 4th 09, 11:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_3_]

"Bluesea" writes:
"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
I have to admit to living dangerously with my MontBlanc. It's just
that I like writing with it so much that I prefer to take it out to
the "field" (which is just my University and in a backpack).

Sorry, IMO, school is too civilized to qualify as "the field." More dirt,
rocks, rough terrain and the possibility of walking in mud past your ankles
or thigh-high grass would qualify.

Yeah, I would tend to agree with you there, which is why I wondered
what kind of environment would be too dangerous for use of a pen?

Ironically, the one time I did damage it wasn't because of the field
work, but because I left it in my pocket once and it went through the
dryer. That wasn't a pretty thing to see, though most of the pen was
just fine.

OUCH! How did your clothes come out? Blue?

Um, I wasn't looking at the clothes, I can tell you that. The pen's
resin was fine, as were all the actions, but the nib had melted into
what looked like the wicked witch's shoes. Not pretty, and not cheap to
fix either.
--
Aaron W. Hsu | http://www.sacrideo.us
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to
Old March 4th 09, 11:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_3_]

"Jimmy" writes:
"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
Ironically, the one time I did damage it wasn't because of the field
work, but because I left it in my pocket once and it went through
the dryer. That wasn't a pretty thing to see, though most of the pen
was just fine.

Ouch! Did it cost a fortune to get it fixed up?

Hehe...well, the repair was certainly cheaper than buying a whole new
pen, but it wasn't cheap. The cheapest parts to repair were actually
just fine, but the most expensive part -- the nib -- was basically
toast, so I had to pay what I assume was top dollar (if cheaper than the
whole pen) for a new nib. I'm just glad I did not have to buy a new pen,
considering how much I like this one.

By "field", I just mean using it outside. I carry my favourite Sailor fp
everywhere in my shirt pocket, but if I want to write myself a reminder
in the street, or write on public transport (for example), I use the
ballpoint. It's more practical, and it will probably survive being
dropped.

Aah, I see. Yeah, if you are afraid of dropping it in those spots, I
guess you wouldn't want your MontBlanc to be used. But, then again, if
you are careful....

(Famous last words.)
Old March 6th 09, 02:03 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
"Bluesea" writes:
"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
I have to admit to living dangerously with my MontBlanc. It's just
that I like writing with it so much that I prefer to take it out to
the "field" (which is just my University and in a backpack).

Sorry, IMO, school is too civilized to qualify as "the field." More dirt,
rocks, rough terrain and the possibility of walking in mud past your
ankles
or thigh-high grass would qualify.

Yeah, I would tend to agree with you there, which is why I wondered
what kind of environment would be too dangerous for use of a pen?

I don't think it's so much "a pen" as much as it's a MB, being expensive and
with a reputation of relative fragility.

Ironically, the one time I did damage it wasn't because of the field
work, but because I left it in my pocket once and it went through the
dryer. That wasn't a pretty thing to see, though most of the pen was
just fine.

OUCH! How did your clothes come out? Blue?

Um, I wasn't looking at the clothes, I can tell you that. The pen's
resin was fine, as were all the actions, but the nib had melted into
what looked like the wicked witch's shoes. Not pretty, and not cheap to
fix either.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought your clothing "wasn't a pretty sight to
see" and that your pen suffered little. Glad you were able to get it
repaired even though it cost.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old March 6th 09, 02:03 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
"Bluesea" writes:

I can't think of anything for your Mont Blanc at this time. Because the
refills are proprietary and the pen's too nice to take to the field, your
options are limited.

I wonder what kind of field work we are talking about? I have to admit
to living dangerously with my MontBlanc. It's just that I like writing
with it so much that I prefer to take it out to the "field" (which is
just my University and in a backpack). Ironically, the one time I did
damage it wasn't because of the field work, but because I left it in my
pocket once and it went through the dryer. That wasn't a pretty thing to
see, though most of the pen was just fine.

Ouch! Did it cost a fortune to get it fixed up?

By "field", I just mean using it outside. I carry my favourite Sailor fp
everywhere in my shirt pocket, but if I want to write myself a reminder in
the street, or write on public transport (for example), I use the
ballpoint. It's more practical, and it will probably survive being
dropped.

Thanks for the clarification.

Old March 6th 09, 02:03 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"Bluesea" wrote in message

snip thread back-story
Maybe I should try a Space Pen again. I've not seen the Eversharp, only
the Fisher models over here.

I also got a Montblanc ballpoint a year or so ago. I had low
expectations, but it's really very good - no blobbing (yet), and
relaxing, easy writing. It is far too fancy to use in the field, though,
and I have not managed to fit or force the refills into anything else.
Any ideas?

I didn't like the Eversharp pen because it was heavier than I like. The
refills, though, cost less than the Fisher refills. The discount store
that carried the Eversharps closed a couple of years ago so they're no
longer available in my town, either.

Since you didn't like the Fisher before, if you're thinking of buying a
new pen to try it again, I suggest that you buy a Parker Jotter or
another less-expensive-than-a-Fisher-Space pen that uses Parker-style
refills and a separate Fisher refill which comes with a white plastic
adapter for Parker pens. That way, if the Fisher doesn't work out for
you, you can still use the pen with the original refill which is fairly
universal and wouldn't have wasted the cost of a Fisher pen.

I can't think of anything for your Mont Blanc at this time. Because the
refills are proprietary and the pen's too nice to take to the field, your
options are limited. I keep a Parker Jotter with a Fisher refill in my
car and the Fisher X-750 in my Day-Timer. The Telescoping pen is my carry
pen when I don't take a fp. Other than that, I use fps which I also use
with my Day-Timer. Supposing that you take your planner and/or journal to
the field, that leaves your car, your desk at home, or dress-up occasions
for your MB. I wouldn't leave it in my desk at the office, if I were you,
unless your desk has a good lock.

Well, I just got a Fisher Space Pen refill. I already had a metal Parker
body handy, so I put it in that, with the adaptor, like you suggested.

I got it cheap (half-price), but for a bad reason. One of the two local
pen shops is closing down, and trying to get rid of stock. I snapped up
two bottles of Diamine ink (Royal Blue and Scarlet) as well. The blue
looks like a good alternative to Noodler's plain blue.

The Space Pen feels loose and easy to roll. I'll try it instead of the
Papermate for a bit, and see how it shapes up.

It's sad to hear about the store's closing. However, if the refill works out
for you, perhaps the store will remain open long enough for you to get more
refills at the lesser price.

Old March 6th 09, 11:19 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
"Jimmy" writes:
"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
Ironically, the one time I did damage it wasn't because of the field
work, but because I left it in my pocket once and it went through
the dryer. That wasn't a pretty thing to see, though most of the
pen
was just fine.

Ouch! Did it cost a fortune to get it fixed up?

Hehe...well, the repair was certainly cheaper than buying a whole new
pen, but it wasn't cheap. The cheapest parts to repair were actually
just fine, but the most expensive part -- the nib -- was basically
toast, so I had to pay what I assume was top dollar (if cheaper than
the
whole pen) for a new nib. I'm just glad I did not have to buy a new
pen,
considering how much I like this one.

It's good to find one that suits you. I'm quite pleased with the way the
Sailor 14K one is working out. I even bought a spare while they were
cheap. (The exchange rate is a deterrent now.)

By "field", I just mean using it outside. I carry my favourite Sailor
fp
everywhere in my shirt pocket, but if I want to write myself a
reminder
in the street, or write on public transport (for example), I use the
ballpoint. It's more practical, and it will probably survive being
dropped.

Aah, I see. Yeah, if you are afraid of dropping it in those spots, I
guess you wouldn't want your MontBlanc to be used. But, then again, if
you are careful....

(Famous last words.)

There's an idea germinating here - "ruggedised" fountain pens. Think of
the pen equivalent of sports watches. I wonder if you can make a nib out
of tungsten carbide.

--
Alan

Old March 7th 09, 12:09 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message

snip back story
Well, I just got a Fisher Space Pen refill. I already had a metal
Parker body handy, so I put it in that, with the adaptor, like you
suggested.

I got it cheap (half-price), but for a bad reason. One of the two
local pen shops is closing down, and trying to get rid of stock. I
snapped up two bottles of Diamine ink (Royal Blue and Scarlet) as
well. The blue looks like a good alternative to Noodler's plain blue.

The Space Pen feels loose and easy to roll. I'll try it instead of
the Papermate for a bit, and see how it shapes up.

It's sad to hear about the store's closing. However, if the refill
works out for you, perhaps the store will remain open long enough for
you to get more refills at the lesser price.

It was a healthy but cyclical business, that always made its real money
in the summer, from the tourist trade. The bank refused to keep it
afloat, apparently. [The usenet management elves have elided bad
language here].

I like the Space Pen, but I'm not convinced it's better than the
Papermate.
I'll snap up another refill if they are still open. Space Pens are not
too bad, even full price, compared with ebaying fps. I've been a saint
this year; no new fps so far, just ink.

How many fps have you got? I have about 30 altogether; I haven't counted
recently.

--
Alan

Old March 7th 09, 01:51 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_3_]

"Jimmy" writes:

There's an idea germinating here - "ruggedised" fountain pens. Think of
the pen equivalent of sports watches. I wonder if you can make a nib out
of tungsten carbide.

How flexible is the nib? :-) That's my biggest complaint on a lot of
modern pens. They don't have a soft or springy enough give to make
writing nice. They all feel like writing with chisels, or at least, most
do.
Old March 8th 09, 12:06 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
"Jimmy" writes:

There's an idea germinating here - "ruggedised" fountain pens. Think
of
the pen equivalent of sports watches. I wonder if you can make a nib
out
of tungsten carbide.

How flexible is the nib? :-) That's my biggest complaint on a lot of
modern pens. They don't have a soft or springy enough give to make
writing nice. They all feel like writing with chisels, or at least,
most
do.

Although some of my pens have flexible nibs, I don't have the skill to
use them well. Hard-as-nails, glassy smooth nibs can be a lot of fun,
though. I tried a Waterman Carene, and loved it, but not its price-tag.

Fascinating, all this metallurgy stuff in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tungsten_carbide

Maybe the "ruggedised" pen needs to have acceleration sensors, that will
retract a conventional nib promptly when it experiences gravity's 10
m/s/s.

I've heard you can get springy titanium nibs - have you experimented?

--
Alan