Fountain Pens. What's the attraction?

Old November 19th 07, 05:00 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Barutan Seijin

Default Fountain Pens. What's the attraction?

Outside of their appeal as pretty little objects, i like the smoothness
of a properly adjusted fountain pen. When i use a fountain pen, my hand
doesn't get tired. Ballpoints require too much pressure and i end up
with cramps. I like having a variety of lines, and there are all sorts
of fountain pen nibs that give different sort of lines. I do like
playing with old flexible nibs, and that's something that a ballpoint or
rollerball just can't duplicate. I like the choice of ink (and truth be
told, i also like fussing with them.) Finally, my handwriting is much
better with fountain pens than with ball points. In sum, with fountain
pens, the process of writing is more pleasant and the output much
prettier. It's a no-brainer.

I also like that FPs are reusable. FP use alone will not save the
earth, but all the same, it does bug me to throw things away when there
are reusable alternatives.

Old November 28th 07, 12:30 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Visitor

Google wrote:

My Big Red is captivating... no skinny BIC is gonna attract goils.
Actually is the fountain pen ink, the pheromones of Peman Emerald
Green attracts virgins... Omas Vespucci Red pheromones attracts hussys.

Well this information will send me out shopping!!!

Old December 9th 07, 06:36 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
phk[_5_]

In article om, JimL wrote:
[snip] time to develop. Finally, I know it's a bit of showmanship, but for
the office visitor waiting through this uncapping and writing ritual,

[snip] If I want to be even more "impressive," I open up a leather folder
with a pad or single sheets of nice paper.
I know, it's theater, image, [snip]
Plus the time this takes slows down the negotiating time.

haha. the "theatre" also works in a meeting for me. :-)

regards,

Pam's Ode to Spammers & Telemarketers

May all spammers & telemarketers die an agonizing death; have no
burial places; their souls be chased by demons in Gehenna from one
room to another for 1000 years.
Old April 5th 08, 07:07 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 12:13:13 -0500, MatthewK
wrote:

* The Visitor wrote:
Okay guys, I'm curious if anybody will share their reason for liking
fountain pens.

After getting into fountain pens my penmenship improved as well as
muscle fatigue decreasing.

Why am I willing to put up with non-perfect pens? It's old-timey and
says a lot about perfection. I suppose I like the anachronist nature
of being a FP user.

Unfortunately, a lot of the people who are in it for the "anachronist
nature" are assholes. Fortunately, most of these assholes don't have
computers and so we don't have to endure their displays of rank
stupidity here or on FPN. The few we've got here and on FPN are more
than enough.

The stupidest reason to use fountain pens is because they're "old
timey".
Old April 5th 08, 08:23 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

wrote:

Why am I willing to put up with non-perfect pens? It's old-timey and
says a lot about perfection. I suppose I like the anachronist nature
of being a FP user.

Unfortunately, a lot of the people who are in it for the "anachronist
nature" are assholes. Fortunately, most of these assholes don't have
computers and so we don't have to endure their displays of rank
stupidity here or on FPN. The few we've got here and on FPN are more
than enough.

Whats your excuse for bein an asshole then? Did FPN kick you out or
something.

The stupidest reason to use fountain pens is because they're "old
timey".

What are your reasons for fp use?

matthew
ohio
Old April 5th 08, 11:57 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord

wrote:

Why am I willing to put up with non-perfect pens? It's old-timey and
says a lot about perfection. I suppose I like the anachronist nature
of being a FP user.

Unfortunately, a lot of the people who are in it for the "anachronist
nature" are assholes. Fortunately, most of these assholes don't have
computers and so we don't have to endure their displays of rank
stupidity here or on FPN. The few we've got here and on FPN are more
than enough.

Whats your excuse for bein an asshole then? Did FPN kick you out or
something.

I'm sure I'd be banned if I posted there what I've posted here. It's
probably bad manners on my part to do it here even, but if you've been
there, you know what I'm talking about.

But most all of the anachronistic assholes in question not only don't
know which end is up, but they've never heard of the usenet.

The stupidest reason to use fountain pens is because they're "old
timey".

What are your reasons for fp use?

I like the different color inks you can get from PR and Noodler's. If
I wasn't into fine jewelry, why the hell else would I use a fountain
pen?
Old April 6th 08, 02:31 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

wrote:

I'm sure I'd be banned if I posted there what I've posted here. It's
probably bad manners on my part to do it here even, but if you've been
there, you know what I'm talking about.

But most all of the anachronistic assholes in question not only don't
know which end is up, but they've never heard of the usenet.

Good to see you have a sense of humor. I'm registered at FPN but
haven't been there in months....I rarely get along with forumites in any
venue. It's too much like the highly-censored mailing lists back before
forums became popular. You have a small group of posters that dictate
all content.

matthew
ohio

Old April 6th 08, 06:57 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord

wrote:

I'm sure I'd be banned if I posted there what I've posted here. It's
probably bad manners on my part to do it here even, but if you've been
there, you know what I'm talking about.

But most all of the anachronistic assholes in question not only don't
know which end is up, but they've never heard of the usenet.

Good to see you have a sense of humor. I'm registered at FPN but
haven't been there in months....I rarely get along with forumites in any
venue. It's too much like the highly-censored mailing lists back before
forums became popular. You have a small group of posters that dictate
all content.

So you've seen that FPN is a bunch of dip****s and assholes, and not
very interesting dip****s and assholes either--but rather, mostly
idiots.

There is really no nice way to put it.

That guy, SamCapote--he'd have his ass laughed off the usenet in no
time. But on FPN, see, the administrators and the moderators are
idiots and they have to protect their fellow idiots, such as people
like SamCapote, who type about how Baystate Blue "permanently" stained
his bathroom sink and then goes on to explain how his wife removed the
"permanent" stain. In the same post.

No telling how many people they censored for making fun of that simp.
But I doubt I was the only one laughing his ass off at that stupidity.

I read FPN every few months or so, as much of it as I can stand, to
pick up on new inks and crap like that. And Nathan Tardif posts there
sometimes. Nathan is a kook, but not an idiot. He used to post here,
but I guess he's got a bigger audience on FPN, even if they are idiots
like SamCapote.

I just read FPN a couple of weeks ago and found out about Baystate
Blue. Otherwise I don't know when I'd have found out about it.

There are a few people on FPN who know which end is up, but most
everybody, including the moderators and the administrators, are a
bunch of dip****s.
Old April 6th 08, 04:16 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
MatthewK

wrote:

* The Drunken Lord wrote:
On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 15:23:28 -0400, MatthewK

So you've seen that FPN is a bunch of dip****s and assholes, and not
very interesting dip****s and assholes either--but rather, mostly
idiots.

There is really no nice way to put it.

I just read the "baystate blue post" and can't believe it. Any research
on inks at all will lead one to learn high dye content inks often stain
pens. So far, the only noodlers I've had luck with is hunter green...and
it stained my hero. I expected that though and will be refilling that
pen soon.

I think the last thread I contributed on was correcting someone that was
blaming the ink instead of a cheap pen construction. One of the fountain
pen "iron galls" that has been used for years in many pens was blamed
for almost instant corrosion...other people knew it was cheap pen
materials too.

One of my problems with fpn and other forums is they tend to promote
rampant comsumerism. There is always a pen or notebook of the day.

matthew