Recommended mechanical pencil

Old March 29th 07, 03:56 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Covad

Default Recommended mechanical pencil

Please provide your recommendations of the best mechanical pencils in the
$10 - $50 price range. I'm tired of pencils breaking down.

Thanks!
Elliot Berlin

Old March 29th 07, 05:59 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
BL

"Covad" wrote:
Please provide your recommendations of the
best mechanical pencils in the $10 - $50
price range. I'm tired of pencils breaking
down.

Thanks!
Elliot Berlin

If you don't mind one that takes .9mm lead, buy an old Parker 51 mechanical
pencil---one of the later ones, 1948 or after. -- B

Old March 29th 07, 09:28 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
pavane

"BL" wrote in message

"Covad" wrote:
Please provide your recommendations of the
best mechanical pencils in the $10 - $50
price range. I'm tired of pencils breaking
down.

Thanks!
Elliot Berlin

If you don't mind one that takes .9mm lead, buy an old Parker 51
mechanical pencil---one of the later ones, 1948 or after. -- B

Second that choice, superb instruments.

pavane

Old March 30th 07, 08:37 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
yland45[_2_]

"Covad" wrote:
Please provide your recommendations of the
best mechanical pencils in the $10 - $50
price range. I'm tired of pencils breaking
down.

Thanks!
Elliot Berlin

If you don't mind one that takes .9mm lead, buy an old Parker 51
mechanical pencil---one of the later ones, 1948 or after. -- B

Second that choice, superb instruments.

pavane

lamy scibble reliable, comfortable. 0.7

Old March 30th 07, 03:40 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Harry F. Leopold

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:28:47 -0500, pavane wrote
(in article ):

"Covad" wrote:
Please provide your recommendations of the
best mechanical pencils in the $10 - $50
price range. I'm tired of pencils breaking
down.

Thanks!
Elliot Berlin

If you don't mind one that takes .9mm lead, buy an old Parker 51
mechanical pencil---one of the later ones, 1948 or after. -- B

Second that choice, superb instruments.

I just got my Parker 51 two weeks ago, the pen was made in 1950 and the
pencil was made in 1949. I really like both, very well made and very smooth
nib, the pencil is very solid and well made.

BTW - thanks BL for mentioning the size of lead it uses, looks like I need to
take a trip to my supplier for the proper size this weekend.

I am glad I decided to go ahead and get both the 51 and the Pelikan 140, I
got the black model Pelikan and a dark gray 51. They have become two of my
favorite pens since I got them. The Pelikan nib is a nicely flexible near
medium, just a touch scratchy compared to the 51, but it sure writes purty.

--
Harry F. Leopold
The Prints of Darkness

³We don't just borrow words; on occasion English has pursued other languages
down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new
vocabulary."-James D. Nicoll

Old March 30th 07, 04:29 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Mark

On Mar 29, 3:56 pm, "Covad" wrote:
Please provide your recommendations of the best mechanical pencils in the
$10 - $50 price range. I'm tired of pencils breaking down.

Thanks!
Elliot Berlin

Every single day of my life I use a Faber-Castell Grip 2011 and I
can't recommend it enough. It also looks (and feels) really funky with
the raised rubber dots on the 'grip zone'. There is an eraser under
the top lid (twists to extend a little) and if you pull that off there
is a place to store spare leads. But it's the look and feel of this
surprisingly inexpensive mechanical pencil which surprises me. It's
actually plastic but when I first saw it I really thought it was matt
aluminium metal (I use the 'silver' one but it also comes in grey
('anthracite') and black. In the UK it's priced at £8.95 incl. VAT. UK
postage at PensFromHeaven.com is £4.50 incl. VAT. Outside the UK and
Europe, the pen is cheaper because you don't pay the VAT but the
shipping is rather more expensive (more than the pencil in fact). If
you do think about getting one, be warned, everyone will love it and
will probably 'borrow' it. 0.7mm lead by the way and unusually soft to
write with (soft-ish leads and cushioned - lovely to write and sketch
with).

More info at a href="http://www.pilotdesign.info/pens_designer_Faber-
Castell_grip_2011.htm#silver"PensFromHeaven.com/a

I confess - that is my site so OK I have a vested interest. But I mean
every word of the above. I could have tried to sell you some of the
MUCH more expensive pencils I have on the site ... this is actually
one of the cheapest but I really do recommend it wholeheartedly,
particularly in the colour I use (silver).

Old March 30th 07, 04:33 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Mark

On Mar 30, 4:29 pm, "Mark" wrote:
On Mar 29, 3:56 pm, "Covad" wrote:

[...]

Sorry - that Faber-Castell Grip 2011 link above split over two lines
so try this:
http://www.pilotdesign.info/pens_des..._grip_2011.htm

Old March 31st 07, 03:06 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
[email protected]

Koh-I-Noor Rapidomatic MP - $10
Rotring 600 Old Style MP
Lamy 2000 MP - under $50
Pentel P series - under $5!
And some vintage with 1.1mm are incredible

Old March 31st 07, 11:44 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
mp3

Koh-I-Noor Rapidomatic - $12
Rotring 600 Old Style - depending on the size of the lead should be
under $50
Lamy 2000 - under $50
Pentel P series - $4 - superb

Old March 31st 07, 05:20 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea

"Covad" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Please provide your recommendations of the best mechanical pencils in the
$10 - $50 price range. I'm tired of pencils breaking down.

What is your preferred lead size?

--
~~Bluesea~~