Pelikan M1000 - How many drops does your barrel hold?

Old March 16th 07, 01:58 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Curtis L. Russell

Default Pelikan M1000 - How many drops does your barrel hold?

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 05:49:18 -0500, "LarryW"
wrote:

The M1000 reminds me of the old American Crysler autos - tiny engine
boxed in a big package. It seems that Pelikan should pay more
attention to such details because a detail such as this really does
matter.

Well. I won't argue your memory of the old Chryslers that, in the
1950s and 1960s included the first muscle cars, starting with the
mid-50s hemis and, in general, in my area of Texas were not considered
underpowered. My dad's police highway interceptor was a Plymouth hemi,
a Chrysler product. Even the Chrysler Travelor 8 wasn't all that
underpowered, from the 1940s. Then, again, the car I plan to buy is a
Saab 96, so what do I know about power...

That aside, I don't think it is a detail that matters. First of all,
it isn't like the Pelikan is the smallest reservoir out there. Getting
past that, the only pens that are consistently larger are the eyedrop
fillers. The next time you are in the pen store and are spending
around $ 500, the 1000 is likely to be one of the two largest
reservoir pens available and you aren't going to find an eyedrop
filler.

And with many of the pens being cartridge pens with generally very
small convertors as the ink reservoir, I don't think this detail
should keep the Pelikan people up nights. I know it doesn't worry me
much. Just my opinion...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old March 16th 07, 02:59 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
BL

LarryW wrote:

Using a hypodemic syringe, I am getting 17 ml from
M1000 (and 13 ml from MB149 - control)
-LarryW

17 ml?!?!?!?!?!? That's over 22 converters full. I think you mean 1.7
and 1.3 ml. A few years back I did similar measurements on a bunch of
different pens and found that the M800 and M400 hold about 1.5 ml or
two converters full (similar to the Aurora Optima). The Paragon-style
pens from OMAS (the previous design, not the current design) hold
about 2.25 ml, same as the old Pelikan 100N and cir. 1950s Pelikan
400. The converters I measured varied between .65 and .75 ml
capacity. I do not have a M1000 here, but I would not be surprised if
they hold just a bit more than the 400 and 800 or about 1.7 ml as you
say above. If Pelikan wanted to increase the ink capacity of their
pens, they'd use a telescoping mechanism (you know, like the one
Montblanc invented) but nobody uses these anymore (including MB)
because the cost to manufacture them and they're less durable. How
long does it take you to write out your M1000? -- B

Old March 17th 07, 01:48 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Paul G

....and *that* my Fabian friend is what make the 1000 so amazing

"j. fabian" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul G" wrote:

...there's probably a few drops stuck in that wonderful wet feed on
the
1000
regards,
pelikanyo paul

Not probably -- absolutely! after all the "drops" were expelled that
comb feed was still super saturated, with a page or so worth of water
(if I wrote with water, that is...)

j f

--
well, it looked good on paper

Old March 17th 07, 01:54 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Paul G

Very good and true Jon.
Pelikan thinks about more than you realize...for example, keeping the
ink capacity "not too big" in a barrel piston filler assists flow.
Yup...the heat from your hand will actually heat the chamber, and
produce a little "push" to the ink. As in any pen of this design, the
bigger the chamber, the less the "benefit" from this. These are all
thoughts that are part of their design.

Pelikanyo

"j. fabian" wrote in message
In article ,
"LarryW" wrote:

I also have a MB149. It releases 15 drops (ink or filtered H2O) as
compared to my M1000 that holds 20. When comparing chamber sizes,
there seems to be a lot of empty space not being used by the Pelikan.
Another private correspondent reported getting 29 drops from his
M1000
until he dropped it and is getting much less.

The M1000 reminds me of the old American Crysler autos - tiny engine
boxed in a big package. It seems that Pelikan should pay more
attention to such details because a detail such as this really does
matter.
-LarryW

What exactly is it that you would have Pelikan do? Number or drops
expelled while (hopefully) holding the pen vertically, tip down, over
something to catch the ink, is hardly a real-world test. How about
just
writing with your pen? Does it write-out too fast? What nib size are
you
using?

I own 4 Montblanc 149s. Each one expels a different number of drops
after filling. Each one also has a different width nib -- from Extra
Fine to Oblique Double Broad. All hold exactly the same volume of ink,
however. I have about ten Pelikan 100/100N pens, vintage and
reproduction. The ones with broad or oblique broad nibs produce larger
drops than the extra fines. Big surprise.

It's simply a matter of physics -- an Oblique Double Broad nib to fit
Montblanc 149 (their biggest nib on their biggest pen) has a huge
surface area for the ink/water to stick to before gravity overcomes
surface tension. Would you expect an Extra Fine to be able to hold the
same size "drop"?

The M1000 and M1050 were introduced ten years ago. Had there been a
groundswell of dissatisfaction with their capacity it would be common
knowledge by now.

Until you raised the idea of counting drops I had never given any
thought to any of my pens' capacities -- unless they were sorely
lacking
as evidenced by me having to refill too often. I only counted drops
when
following the instructions on filling a piston-fill pen and expelling
four drops to let a little air back in to combat thermal expansion.

I have been using MBs and Pelikans since the late '70s and have never
even thought of complaining to either company about _anything_,
including capacity.

And as for your view of Chryslers, a better pen to compare would be
the
Waterman Edson. That huge, obese body has a tiny little Waterman
standard converter rattling around inside it. It's a good thing they
write like crap and easily fall apart or people might start
complaining.

j f

--
well, it looked good on paper

Old March 17th 07, 01:56 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Paul G

Remember...there's a lot of "dead space" in that feed befor ink hits the
chamber.
If the pen is dry, it's not going to fill completely on the first draw.

"Stephen Hust" wrote in message
"j. fabian" wrote:

That being said, I have a Pelikan M1000 with an Oblique Medium
nib. After filling it with _water_ (it isn't in my current
rotation), it produces 15 very large drops. "Very large" is not
an exact quantity. I have never thought it lacking in capacity.

Does your pen fill all the way up on the first try, or do you have
to repeat the filling process once or twice (keeping the nib and
part of the section submerged in the ink)?

--
Steve

My e-mail address works as is.

Old March 17th 07, 03:35 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
BL

j. fabian wrote:

... Does it write-out too fast?

This is the key question.

And as for your view of Chryslers, a better pen to
compare would be the Waterman Edson. That huge,
obese body has a tiny little Waterman standard
converter rattling around inside it. ...

Yep... The Waterman converter holds .65 ml of ink or roughly 72% less
than the M1000. -- B

Old March 17th 07, 09:00 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Juhapekka Tolvanen

"LarryW" writes:

If I draw ink v e r y s l o w l y, my M1000 will release up to 20
drops, but the average is more like 17.

Please, remember that after that there is still plenty of ink inside
that (gripping) section. Just try out, how much you can write with it.

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"Du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt. Willst du bis der Tod euch
Old March 18th 07, 04:20 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Paul G

again...remember you're filling the feed as well
this is normal

"j. fabian" wrote:

That being said, I have a Pelikan M1000 with an Oblique Medium
nib. After filling it with _water_ (it isn't in my current
rotation), it produces 15 very large drops. "Very large" is not
an exact quantity. I have never thought it lacking in capacity.

Does your pen fill all the way up on the first try, or do you have
to repeat the filling process once or twice (keeping the nib and
part of the section submerged in the ink)?

--
Steve

The 1000 never fills all the way, 1st, second or even 3rd try. I have
even submerged the pen beyond the nib. I think that slightly less that
1/4 of the capacity is filled. I can just see the ink against a bright
light slosh back and forth.
--LarryW

Old March 18th 07, 04:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
LarryW[_3_]

"BL" wrote in message

LarryW wrote:

[...]

The hypo-syringe is a 3 cc; cc measurement in right column, m in left.
16m=1cc.) I talked to Abby at Charpak. She said that the entire nib
was replaced initially to address the dry flow. She said they didn't
have expert techs onsight so all they do is replace parts. She told me
to return it and she would replace the nib (again) and also replace
the barrel. With a loop, I noticed that the tines are not symetrical
as they should be. One tine is slighly narrower and shorter than the
other. It tends to resemble an oblique slightly. Anyway, I'll return
it. Truthfully I can't really tell how much writing I get out of a
fill. I just thought that it should look filled through the window
similar to the MB. The MB's chamber completely fills whereas the M1000
you can not visually see the ink. It's possible that the overall size
of the M1000 does not gurantee it will hold any more in than the
smaller pens. Right now, my greatest concern is to get a nice smooth
glide. My letters rarely exceed 3 pages and I haven't run dry yet.
-LarryW

Old March 18th 07, 04:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
LarryW[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I'm not all that worried either. It holds at least as many drops as
the MB does and I never ran out of in unexpectedly.
-LarryW