WARNING: Noodler's Inks

Old May 28th 06, 11:26 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

Default WARNING: Noodler's Inks

In article , "~****-magnet~" wrote:
[snip] ink-flow but I hesitate to load it into a Pelican since someone
complained to me that Noodler's totally ruined his Pelikan and lead to
replacement. He didn't say what nib he was using but I heeded his

[snip]

may be i'm lucky.
i have been using Noodler in 3 Pelikans without problem. but they're all
median nibs.

i do agree that they're highly pigmented. & it make changing ink colors quite
tedious. (have to more times than other inks)

regards,

==========
Pam @ Home

Cort Furniture Rental and Honesty are two mutually exclusive concepts.
Old May 29th 06, 02:52 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

During the previous 20 years, my pens have gone sometimes ninety days+
without activity and never dried out. Rather than facing the time
consuming ritual of purging the ink in anticipation of an extended
holiday, I just won't use Noodles ink in my medium nibbed pens. A good
suggestion - be vigil of Noodler+medium/fine point+time-period
scenario. Mikey, you're a lucky guy having the correct combination of
pen and time schedule. I love the ink otherwise; I'll continue to use
the unadulterated product in my MB. I don't think concrete could clogg
that device!

"mge" wrote in message
9 days left sitting with ink in any pen.........will cause a

problem. I can
only ditto Mr. Swisher here on Noodler's and BTW, it would be easier

for me
to list the Noodler's colors and inks that I don't have vs. the ones

that I
do, much easier.

"~****-magnet~" wrote in message
. com...

"Chuck Swisher" wrote in message
****-magnet wrote:

These inks may not be the best for medium and/or fine nibbed

pens.
have experienced drying and clogging of both a Waterman and

Romet
medium, both newer pens. Because the higher concentration of

pigment
in Noodlers, the stroke-line looks better when used with fine

and
medium nibs but be prepared for problems. Using the same two

Noodler's
inks in a broad-nib MB seems to be no problem with it's

generous
ink-flow but I hesitate to load it into a Pelican since someone
complained to me that Noodler's totally ruined his Pelikan and

lead to
replacement. He didn't say what nib he was using but I heeded

his
warning.

Noodler's inks are so striking in appearance so it is very
disappointing. It is certainly an opposite to the more watery

Pelican
inks so perhaps there is a reason.

Hello ****-magnet,

Just curious, what exactly was it that Noodler's supposedly did

this
Pelikan? I would love to see proof that Noodler's ink caused any

damage to
this pen. I've been using Noodler's inks in my Pelikans (both

vintage and
modern) since it first hit the market and I've had no problems

whatsoever
with ink flow in any of my Pelikans nor has it caused any damage

any of
these pens. I do agree that it doesn't flow the greatest in pens

that have
very fine feed channels but this can be adjusted by adding a

little
distilled water to the ink.

Chuck Swisher

I haven't used it in my Pelican and I won't. It works fine in my

MB.
As for the Waterman and Romet, both pens would not flow after

sitting
nine days. What kind of "proof" do you want? The ink is

concentrated
and leaves a beautiful mark but I will not use it is any pen that
doesn't have a generous flow (namely fine or medium nibs.) You are
suggesting that I dilute it. I will draw 5 ml of ink and add 10

drops
of dist h2o. I like the midnight blue with the finer medium nib

and am
willing to try it again. I have a 3 oz bottle and wouldn't want it

go to waste. Besides, after a little effort, both pens did seem to
unclog w/o perm damage. I must still emphasize that it is a good

idea
to remove the ink from such pens if they aren't going to be used

for a
while. Another collector/dealer advised me that the ink ruined his

pen
to a point where after he unclogged it, it still never worked

right
and subsequently he had to replace the nib. If that happened to

me,
I'd ask the ink mfg to pay for a new nib. If they refused, I'd
penalize them by some other gradifying method. I'll post in a few
weeks and advise if the dilution helps.

Old May 29th 06, 02:59 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

"Tetractys" wrote in message
news
~****-magnet~ wrote:

... someone complained to me that Noodler's
totally ruined his Pelikan and lead to replacement. ...

Friend of a friend? Humbug, I say. I have used
a Swisher-bought Pelikan 600 with a fine nib loaded
with Noodler's black quite carelessly with no ill
effect whatever. I leave it in the pen for weeks at
a time, pick it up and write with it without so much
as a fraction of a millimeter skippage. No clogging,
no ruination, no tilting of the Earth on its axis.

Perhaps your FOAF's Pelly was ruinated by
injudicious loanage?

I've had the Pelly about a month. I'll never loan it to anyone. Once I
let a bank officer use my MB briefly. She held it upside-down and made
a feathery scratch that squirted ink across the doc. It was actually
funny. Fortunately the pen wasn't harmed. The majority of people
haven't ever seen a FP let alone knowing how to use one.

Old May 29th 06, 03:03 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

"Gordon Mattingly" wrote in message
The combination of pen and ink writers choose is as personal as

their
handwriting and so their resulting experience will vary.

This is simply a response for the consideration of other readers.

I keep a dozen pens charged at any given time: Pelikans, Kawecos

(one
vintage), Parker 51's, a Lamy, Namiki and Sheaffer, most with fine

or extra
fine nibs and all but one are filled with various formulations of

Noodler's
ink. My most frequently utilized pen is a Pelikan M400 in EF loaded

with
Noodler's Air Corps blue-black. I have never experienced any

mechanical
problems or damage that I would attribute to the ink. I am not a

chemist,
nor an engineer, but I fail to see, short of a corrosive effect on

the pen
itself, how any water soluble ink can "ruin" a pen.

Gordon Mattingly

I don't know what the criteria is. I've personally never had any ink
ruin any pen either. I'd like to keep it that way.

Old May 29th 06, 03:05 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

"Terry McGinty" wrote in message
news
"~****-magnet~"

Methinks your name has everything to do with your problems, and
nothing to
so with pens and ink.
I've used Noodler's inks in my fine nibbed pens for some time with

nary a
problem.

luck-magnet

Temporarily I am using someone else's account and have not disturbed
his settings. "****-magnet" or any name that appears is no more
relevant than any other. I appreciate your positive overture!

wrote in message
. com...
[...]

-T

Old May 29th 06, 03:08 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

"John B. Egger" wrote in message
Terry McGinty wrote:
"~****-magnet~"

Methinks your name has everything to do with your problems, and

nothing to
so with pens and ink.
I've used Noodler's inks in my fine nibbed pens for some time with

nary a
problem.

luck-magnet

wrote in message
. com...

[...]

The name's the thing, IMHO. It's a real puzzle how someone using

this as
a screen name could wind up on a civilized list like one dealing

with
fountain pens. As a college teacher I hear a lot of that kind of
language, and even see it printed on students' T-shirts... but I've
never associated it with fountain-pen users! Something weird is

going on
here.

Like others, I've used Noodlers inks extensively and left it in pens
that sat unused for weeks. No clogging problems.

--
--John
Registered Linux User #291592

I explained the "handle" in a previous post, as if I really needed to
explain. You're welcome to use it as a diversion from the real issue
if you like. It isn't relevant.

Old May 29th 06, 03:16 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

****-magnet wrote:

[...]

Tell you what, ask your friend to send that damaged nib to one of

the folks
listed on our Vintage Pen Repair page to have it repaired. If they

will
contact me and confirm that the nib was in fact damaged beyond

repair from
the use of any Noodler's ink, I will buy your friend a replacement

nib for
that Pelikan. The only way Noodler's ink could have clogged up a

nib and
feed to the point where it was impossible to clean is if it were

mixed with
another ink. Noodler's inks are made from the same materials as the

other
water based fountain pen inks are made, there is no shellac or

anything else
in this ink that would gum up a feed to where it couldn't be cleaned

with a
little water or water mixed with ammonia if allowed to dry out

completely in
a pen. Here is the link to our Vintage Pen Repair page:

http://www.swisherpens.com/repairs.html

Let me know if this person is willing to take me up on this offer.

He could
also send the pen directly to Mr. Tardif (who just happens to know a

little
about repairs himself) to have that nib looked at. Let me know and

I'll
give you his address.

Best regards,

Chuck Swisher -

Swisher Pens, Inc. -
www.swisherpens.com

Tele: (757) 539-2209, TF: 1-888-340-7367, Fax: (757) 925-2787

I'm sure he is a regular in here and has been longer than I. He'll see
your generous offer and I need not act as agent. BTW, I want to tell
you that your permanent cobalt-blue ink is one of the most beautiful
colors I have ever seen and it is impervious to any reasonable assult
I can apply, including an overnight soak in water. It drys and does
not appear it has even been wet. Bravo! Still I'll never use it in
any medium or fine-nibbed instrument (the truth, the whole truth and
nothing but.)

Old May 29th 06, 03:19 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

"JP" wrote in message

"~****-magnet~" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

My preference is vintage fine point. Since the mad inkmeister

concocted
the Noodler blend I've used it exclusively. My Auroras, Quinks,

Skrips,
Watermans,
Pelicans, even my vintage Parkers, (I'm talking black inks) sit

unused.
While the nib may dry out a after a few weeks it starts writing with

a bit
of pressure.
Never had a clog. I've used it in my Mottishaw enhanced Pelican-no
problems.
My favorite pen, a 100 year plus waterman eyedropper #12, likewise.

Funny to find an anonymous warning about Noodlers in this group

after all
this time
and after all the input a.c.p-p the group provided Nathan during its
development.
Admittedly I'm a cynical and suspicious New Yorker but I smell an

agenda.

JP

If there is an "agenda," it isn't coming from this end. Good idea,
I'm as suspicious as you are about what I read. In the aggregate of it
all, how can one not be?

Old May 29th 06, 03:25 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils

"phk" wrote in message
In article ,

"~****-magnet~" wrote:
[snip] ink-flow but I hesitate to load it into a Pelican since

someone
complained to me that Noodler's totally ruined his Pelikan and lead

replacement. He didn't say what nib he was using but I heeded his

[snip]

may be i'm lucky.
i have been using Noodler in 3 Pelikans without problem. but they're

all
median nibs.

i do agree that they're highly pigmented. & it make changing ink

colors quite
tedious. (have to more times than other inks)

regards,

Pam @ Home

Cort Furniture Rental and Honesty are two mutually exclusive

concepts.

I love the heavy pigment. I use a sonic gyrate to clean my pens, a
device designed for the jewelry industry. It does take several water
changes.