multi-color mechanical pencil....

Old September 11th 04, 12:48 AM
slag

Default multi-color mechanical pencil....

Does anyone make a multicolor mechanical pencil? Like the old 4 color
bic pens in a pencil?

Rob

Old September 11th 04, 05:29 AM
Dave

slag wrote:

Does anyone make a multicolor mechanical pencil? Like the old 4 color
bic pens in a pencil?

I tried to arrange one of these by asking if I could buy a couple more
of the little pencil mechanisms they make for the inside of a Rotring
600 tri-pen, because they seem to be made to fit into the same size
opening as the little pen refills. The store here told me they weren't
available separately at that time - but maybe you could get them somehow.

I don't know, but I assume there are other multi-pen-&-pencil gadgets
that are built in a similar way.

Note: All the coloured leads I've seen are 0.7 or bigger - I think the
0.5 and smaller sizes break too easily and so are not made.

David
Old September 11th 04, 03:50 PM
PSCHLOTTHAUER

Pentel does make 0.5 red and blue leads. I tried using them when I was working
as a book editor, but there are a few problems. As stated below, they are
indeed very soft and were constantly breaking--even the 0.7 sizes aren't that
strong compared to black lead. But also, whether 0.5 or 0.7, they are very
difficult to erase, which kind of goes against the rationale for using pencil.
I've always wondered why the properties of colored lead can't be made
comparable to black, but I suppose there's a good reason.

I can't remember the manufacturer (it might have been Pentel), but I did once
buy a multi-color mechanical pencil that had about a dozen different colors of
lead in it--naturally it was a big, fat, round pencil! But the leads were so
thick they were almost impossible to write with. I think they were meant more
for drawing.

Paul

Old September 11th 04, 10:45 PM
Dave

PSCHLOTTHAUER wrote:

Pentel does make 0.5 red and blue leads. I tried using them when I was
working as a book editor, but there are a few problems. As stated below, they
are indeed very soft and were constantly breaking--even the 0.7 sizes aren't
that strong compared to black lead. But also, whether 0.5 or 0.7, they are
very difficult to erase, which kind of goes against the rationale for using
pencil. I've always wondered why the properties of colored lead can't be made
comparable to black, but I suppose there's a good reason.

I can't remember the manufacturer (it might have been Pentel), but I did once
buy a multi-color mechanical pencil that had about a dozen different colors
of lead in it--naturally it was a big, fat, round pencil! But the leads were
so thick they were almost impossible to write with. I think they were meant
more for drawing.

Thanks for that information. I have here some "Col-erase" hexagonal
wooden pencils in several colours, made by Sanford. One-day-old marks I
made with them leave very distinct shadows when erased. I think they
erase a bit more cleanly when erased right away, but maybe that's just
superstition on my part.
Anyway, those exist, but then they aren't a mechanical multi-pencil like
the O.P. asked for. Just a similar experience with poor erasability.

David
Old September 12th 04, 01:40 AM
Garglemonster

I've always wondered why the properties of colored lead can't
be made comparable to black, but I suppose there's a good
reason.

the black stuff is graphite, but the coloured stuff is something else:
pigment and some substrate, wax, clay, chalk, or a combination
thereof.

--

You mean you don't want to watch WRESTLING from ATLANTA?
Old September 12th 04, 05:38 AM
slag

slag wrote:
Does anyone make a multicolor mechanical pencil? Like the old 4 color
bic pens in a pencil?

Rob

Actually heres a better idea, who makes a multi-color ERASABLE pen?
That would work wonderfully.

Rob

Old September 12th 04, 06:41 PM
LL

Garglemonster wrote in message ...
I've always wondered why the properties of colored lead can't
be made comparable to black, but I suppose there's a good
reason.

the black stuff is graphite, but the coloured stuff is something else:
pigment and some substrate, wax, clay, chalk, or a combination
thereof.

There used to be Norma 4-color mechanical pencils about 40-50 years
ago; we all had them in medical school to draw those complicated
diagrams. Just found one at an antique sale - memories.

LL
Old September 12th 04, 07:34 PM
Dave

In article ,
"slag" wrote:

Actually heres a better idea, who makes a multi-color ERASABLE pen?
That would work wonderfully.

The pen isn't the problem. Anybody who invents good erasable ink has
solved this one, because multi-tip pens are common. But I've never seen
erasable ink that really worked, and the semi-erasable stuff I've come
across (I mean Paper-Mate "erasable" ballpoints) was always blue. (maybe
they made other colours and I just never had one.)

Note that there is fountain pen ink that will come out of paper with an
ink remover chemical, but the remover basically ruins the paper, so that
ordinary ink won't work on that spot anymore. Not a solution for real
erasability.

David
Old September 13th 04, 08:13 AM
Free Citizen

I think rotring doesn't make this anymore but I have a tri-pencil of 0.35,
0.5 and 0.7. They now make quarto pens. In the past, I have seen besides
rotring, Staedler and Faber-Castell use to make coloured leads. But they are
mainly 0.5 I think. You could replace those multi coloured pens with a
mechanical pencil. But you say it isn't sold separately. But I think if you
could contact the distributor, they may be able to help.

--
Best regards,
Free Citizen