Looking For an Ink Recommendation

Old July 15th 04, 10:28 PM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

Jeremy wrote:
As black is the color of choice for all formal correspondence

Maybe in your universe. I don't use black *anything* (or brown, for that
matter). Thus, all my "formal" correspondence is blue.

--
_Deirdre http://deirdre.net
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
Old July 15th 04, 10:51 PM
so what

thinking of buying orange ink one day and no further than that.

What?? Have you no orange ink, m'boy? QUICK!!! Send me your address!!!!

Look, orange ink can't be so bad. Someone on the 4Pens list said he purchased
paper made with elephant dung (do I know????). I suggested using *that* to
correspond with IRS.

satrap
wondering if john cline ii likes that Shah Rose ink.
Old July 15th 04, 11:26 PM
Dave

satrap wrote:

What?? Have you no orange ink, m'boy? QUICK!!! Send me your address!!!!

My address is 127.0.0.1.

Please send whatever you can.

Thanks!
David
Old July 15th 04, 11:30 PM
Dave

satrap wrote:

Someone on the 4Pens list said he purchased
paper made with elephant dung (do I know????).

What good is organic paper if it doesn't *smell* organic!

I've asked around, though, and apparently that paper is pretty crappy.

David
(who may be in deep ...ummm... *paper*, after people read this)
Old July 15th 04, 11:50 PM
Bluesea

"Jeremy" wrote in message
link.net...

"Bluesea" wrote in message

You're using OE, right? Are you aware that if you go to Tools -

Options -
Read and check the box next to Read all messages in plain text, it will
prevent any html-borne nasties from working?

I have, from necessity, become quite the advanced amateur when it comes to
malware, spyware and viruses.

snipped reassuring stuff

Yes, IMO, give me a flex nib and Noodler's black or other contract ink.

Unfortunately, I've yet to figure out how to email or post Usenet messages
that way.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old July 16th 04, 12:28 AM
john cline ii

"so what" wrote in part:

| satrap
| wondering if john cline ii likes that Shah Rose ink.

Shot who?

Seriously, I am a huge green freak (now don't read THAT the wrong
way!), and am awaiting the arrival of two bottles of waterproof green
Noodler's from Chuck!

Also, some Dakota Red and Black Magic Blue from Sam at Pendemonium, and
something else I do not remember, but I know darn well it was NOT
orange! (Actually I think it was some modern incarnation of Persian
Rose from PR...)

john cline ii, still a HUGE fan of Aurora Black, thank you very much!

Old July 16th 04, 12:42 AM
Tim McNamara

"Jeremy" writes:

"Bluesea" wrote in message

You're using OE, right? Are you aware that if you go to Tools -
Options - Read and check the box next to Read all messages in plain
text, it will prevent any html-borne nasties from working?

I have, from necessity, become quite the advanced amateur when it
comes to malware, spyware and viruses.

Bummer. Back in 1986 when I bought my first computer, I bought a Mac.
That's all I use now, although I have one Mac running NetBSD just for
variety. As far as I can tell, Windows is simply a personal security
risk and I don't need the headaches. Life is too short.

I have set up my Security Zone to maximum, for IE6, OE and Outlook
2000. All of my emails are in text only--no html.

As they should be- not for security but for maximum compatibility with
the computers your recipients may be using.

I run several different types of spyware/malware scanners: SpyBot
Search & Destroy, AdAware, A-Square, Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster,
CWShredder. I run AVG Anti-Virus and I update the signatures at
least once daily. My email server at EarthLink also scans all
incoming emails with Symantec Anti-Virus and anything containing a
virus doesn't get into my email box.

I have spam control turned on, and BrightMail provides the spam
signatures. I have encrypted all of my data files, using
professional encryption software from PC Guardian.

I use ZoneAlarm as my personal firewall, and I have it set to close
all ports whenever my screensaver activates (after 10 minutes of no
activity), just to be sure that nothing gets by me if I leave my
computer for a break.

Wow. I use ipfw (which is standard with OS X) configured with
BrickHouse. It runs in the background and I never think about it. If
I'm feeling suspicious I run snort. Mail for OS X has built-in
Bayesian filtering so I rarely see spam in my Inbox; my ISP uses
Postini on the server side which is pretty good at isolating spam and
viruses.

I use dial-up internet, not broadband, so I don't have an "always
on" connection.

I use DSL and host four Web sites from my computer (OS X comes with
apache). I've had literally tens of thousands of attacks from script
kiddies and the like, so far nothing has gotten past ipfw and
snort. My computer has been always-on on the Internet for nearly 4
years with nary a problem so far- not to say that someone won't come
along and successfully attack. One thing about the future is that it
is always changing.

Finally, I use the Anonymizer cloaking service, to strip out all
JavaScript, ActiveX Controls, Cookies, pop-ups a,d all my browsing
is via SSH encryption. Even my ISP can't see where I browse,
because everything goes through the Anonymizer proxy.

Huh. Have you tried the current security recommendation which is to
use any browser other than Internet Explorer? FireFox works well; I
prefer Camino for OS X (an offshoot of Mozilla) or Safari.

My computer is so protected against intruders that one third of my
system resources are used up just running all that junk in the
background!

"Find the cost of freedom..." ;-)

And, you know what? I STILL get an occasional browser hijack or
spyware applet deposited on my hard drive (Stay away from the New
York Times web site--they always put spyware onto your
computer--read their privacy policy!).

No spyware from them on my computer. Are you sure about this?

When I got my first PC in 1990 (DOS 3.3), I embraced the prospect of
sophisticated technology. Now all I get are headaches when I try to
use my computer.

Well, there are many alternative solutions to this. There are dozens
of GNU/Linux options which are excellent, as well as BSD options which
are also excellent. They'll run on your computer so you don't have to
buy new hardware, unlike switching to a Mac. Although if I was going
to do that, I'd install that stuff on a second hard drive and boot
from that until I was sure I liked the way it works.

It seems like everyone thinks they have the right to control my
computer remotely. And the big internet sites--the ones you would
not ordinarily suspect of abuse--are the worst ones of all.

Even Western Union is now SELLING your financial information--your
bank account number, dates and amounts of transactions, names of
your payees--when you use their funds transfer services to pay your
car payment or send money to relatives! Their disclosure statement
says that they reserve the right to sell the info to "neighborhood
merchants, florists, stock brokers and insurance salesmen."

I reserve the right not to use their services. And I have told them
so. More consumers need to do this, of course. Once they get the
message that these policies cost them money, they might look at
changing them.

That $.37 stamp doesn't look so expensive by comparison anymore.

I've always thought that the USPS was a great deal.
Old July 16th 04, 01:53 AM
Jeremy

"Deirdre Saoirse Moen" wrote in message
Jeremy wrote:
As black is the color of choice for all formal correspondence

Maybe in your universe. I don't use black *anything* (or brown, for that
matter). Thus, all my "formal" correspondence is blue.

--
_Deirdre http://deirdre.net
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"

I don't write the etiquette books, I just read 'em. Although, to be frank,
I doubt that 99%+ of today's adults would even know that black is considered
the only ink color for formal correspondence, so it is somewhat a moot
point.

Old July 16th 04, 02:06 AM
Jeremy

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message

Bummer. Back in 1986 when I bought my first computer, I bought a Mac.
That's all I use now, although I have one Mac running NetBSD just for
variety. As far as I can tell, Windows is simply a personal security
risk and I don't need the headaches. Life is too short.

My business software is only available in Windows, so switching to another
OS is not an option in my case. I have to make the best of what I have.

Huh. Have you tried the current security recommendation which is to
use any browser other than Internet Explorer? FireFox works well; I
prefer Camino for OS X (an offshoot of Mozilla) or Safari.

I'm pretty safe running IE6 with security setting set to the highest level
and the Anonymizer running. My problem is that I occasionally forget to
turn on the Anonymizer, and that's when I run the risk of spyware
infections.

Cotse has some neat cloaking, too, and they also protect your mail server
and Usenet server. Cost is something like $7/month. Beats having all those
malware problems.

My computer is so protected against intruders that one third of my
system resources are used up just running all that junk in the
background!

"Find the cost of freedom..." ;-)

But I am weary of having to play computer cop every time I go on the
Internet.

spyware applet deposited on my hard drive (Stay away from the New
York Times web site--they always put spyware onto your
computer--read their privacy policy!).

No spyware from them on my computer. Are you sure about this?

Yep. It tries to download something called "Avenue A" onto my hard drive
whenever I log on without going through the Anonymizer. SpyBot Search &
Destroy always picks it up, and a warning screen pops up, giving me the
option to reject the download. Read the NYT privacy policy--they
acknowledge this activity.

Even Western Union is now SELLING your financial information--your
bank account number, dates and amounts of transactions, names of
your payees--when you use their funds transfer services to pay your
car payment or send money to relatives! Their disclosure statement
says that they reserve the right to sell the info to "neighborhood
merchants, florists, stock brokers and insurance salesmen."

I reserve the right not to use their services. And I have told them
so. More consumers need to do this, of course. Once they get the
message that these policies cost them money, they might look at
changing them.

Yes, but you don't find out until AFTER you've done a transaction and then
their confirmation letter arrives in the mail several days later. Then you
have to call them and opt out. They know that few consumers will take the
time to read the legalese in the disclosure statement, much less opt out.
Here is another instance where a well-known, and presumably an honorable
company is taking liberties with your financial information. And who knows
how well they protect the information on their own storage system? The
consumer does not even KNOW that they've appropriated his bank info, and
some kid in their IT department could be selling it out the back door!

That $.37 stamp doesn't look so expensive by comparison anymore.

I've always thought that the USPS was a great deal.

Looking better every day!

Old July 16th 04, 02:39 AM
KCat

"john cline ii" wrote in message

"so what" wrote in part:

| satrap
| wondering if john cline ii likes that Shah Rose ink.

Shot who?

Seriously, I am a huge green freak (now don't read THAT the wrong
way!),

I love green inks. well - I like dark green inks. Don't care for the
bright ones like WM.

Also, some Dakota Red and Black Magic Blue from Sam at Pendemonium,

please report on BMB if you can. best, kcat