First time FP buyer/user

Old April 21st 04, 03:00 AM
Patrick Lamb

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:37:42 -0500, Patrick Lamb
wrote:

Rotring Freeway; slimmer and lighter than the Phileas, but still
comfortable;

A Phileas (which I don't have) is heavier than a Freeway (which I do)?

What are they made of ? Depleted uranium?!

Naw, lead bricks.

Seriously, the Phileas has a larger girth, so there's more brass
underneath the plastic.

--
Apologies to those easily confused. Address is spam-resistant.
Correct email address like pdlamb 'round-about comcast point net.
Old April 21st 04, 05:30 PM
morten

ArmsTom wrote in message ...
Wow, what a response. Thanks everyone for your input. I will have to try
out a couple of the pens suggested (I'd like to try them all). I'll let
you guys know what I decide on going with (for those of you curious).

Arms

I'm curious why no one have recommeded my first (and still trustiest)
FP - the Sheaffer Prelude??? Has it fallen out of favour?
Old April 26th 04, 01:37 AM
Fredrik Nordström

"Prashant Singh" wrote in message e.edu...
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 05:48:18 +0000, Bluesea wrote:

I bought a Sheaffer Javelin for $15 only yesterday so, it's too soon for me
to say how I like it. The converter is extra.

Once you've had a chance to decide about the Javelin, please post your
thoughts. I'm considering getting a Javelin or a Rotring Freeway.

Where did you find it for $15? I've mostly seen $20.

Thanks,
prashant.

I have tried both the Sheaffer Javelin (which I own) and the Rotring
Freeway (have owned) and my choice would be the Javelin. Both are nice
pens, but the Rotring is a bit scratchy and not at all as smooth as
the Javelin, which is smoother than your average pen in this price
range. The only downside with the Javelin may be that the pen isn't
very comfy to hold and write with when the cap is posted. Maybe this
is just me, but i never write with my Javelin's cap posted. My Javelin
was the first fountain pen i bought and it's still one of my
favourites.

Hope this will help!

Best,
Fredrik
Old April 26th 04, 11:21 AM
Prashant Singh

What were the nib sizes (M, F, EF, etc.) for these pens?

I'm looking for something a little finer than my Sheaffer School F, but
of course I'd also like it to be smooth. I'm not sure if the Freeway even
comes in anything but medium, which may rule it out. Too bad, though. I
liked the way it looked.

My school pen has issues with ink getting onto the top of the nib. I
guess this is because the nib is not well polished. Does the Javelin have
any problems like that?

Thanks,
prashant.

Old April 26th 04, 04:22 PM
Fredrik Nordstr?m

It has been a while since i had my Javelin inked, but what i can
remember i haven't had any problem with ink getting ontop of the nib.
Even if it may have happened it hasn't been so frequent that i will
consider it an issue. One thing i have noticed though is that ink
sometimes stay on the pen body after removal of the posted cap. This
may be an issue since you, naturally, either have to wipe it clean or
get ink on your hand...

Best,
Fredrik

Old May 10th 04, 12:52 PM
Paul A. Hoadley

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 00:51:15 GMT, ArmsTom wrote:

I've grown tired of the "5 for $3.97" pens you buy at WalMart and
thought I'd give a fountain pen a go. I'm a college student, so
cost is a factor.

I'll definitely second the votes for the LAMY Safari. Cheap, nice
looking (I like black), nib writes nice and smooth.

--
Paul.

Logic Squad -- Technical Publishing with XML -- http://logicsquad.net/
Old May 10th 04, 06:29 PM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

Paul A. Hoadley wrote:
I'll definitely second the votes for the LAMY Safari. Cheap, nice
looking (I like black), nib writes nice and smooth.

Actually, I truly hated my Lamy Safari. I wrote with it 3-4 times, then
gave it away.

--
_Deirdre http://deirdre.net
"Ideally pacing should look like the stock market for the year 1999, up
Old May 10th 04, 09:24 PM
Garglemonster

On Mon, 10 May 2004 10:29:17 -0700, Deirdre Saoirse Moen said:

Deirdre Paul A. Hoadley wrote:
I'll definitely second the votes for the LAMY Safari. Cheap,
nice looking (I like black), nib writes nice and smooth.

Deirdre Actually, I truly hated my Lamy Safari. I wrote with it
Deirdre 3-4 times, then gave it away.

me too. there aren't many pens that i really hated, but that's one of
them. i like the core better even if it's an ergonomic disaster. it
comes down to the core having a nicer nib.

--

I feel like I am sharing a ``CORN-DOG'' with NIKITA KHRUSCHEV ...
Old May 11th 04, 05:59 AM
morten

I'll definitely second the votes for the LAMY Safari. Cheap, nice
looking (I like black), nib writes nice and smooth.

Actually, I truly hated my Lamy Safari. I wrote with it 3-4 times, then
gave it away.

Wow, another critic. Good to hear. Worst pen I own. Won't start.
Squeaks on any paper. Bad ergonomics. Nib size (been through 3 - at
no cost to me) doesn't have any relation to actual line size.
Safari's suck.
Old May 11th 04, 07:57 AM
Prashant Singh

On Mon, 10 May 2004 23:59:26 -0500, morten wrote:

Wow, another critic. Good to hear. Worst pen I own. Won't start.
Squeaks on any paper. Bad ergonomics. Nib size (been through 3 - at no
cost to me) doesn't have any relation to actual line size. Safari's
suck.

Do you know if the Vista shares these traits? I was considering getting
an XF Vista, but now that a Sheaffer Triumph Imperial is on the way, I'll
probably just have that switched to an XF.

Thanks,
prashant.