Storing fountain pens with ink in them?

Old December 14th 06, 08:53 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
virgiliopoeta

Default Gold Value in FP Nibs WAS Storing fountain pens with ink in them?

jon fabian a écrit :

In article . com,
"virgiliopoeta" wrote:

I note with approval that the absurd business of nibs weighing only
1/20 or 1/10 gram is now abandoned by all - though with very bad grace
(as usual) by BL. One has only to calculate the relative specific
gravities and surface areas of nibs relative to say, a copper penny,
then compare their thickness to a penny, and if necessary to a razor
blade (flatter than a nib and easier to compare), to know that a gold
nib can scarcely weigh much less than half a gram, and can easily weigh
much more. Only a very thin, small flexible gold nib can be got out at
less than half a gram or so.

Try to babooozle 'em with bull**** all you want, Vergie, but I actually
took the trouble of weighing a few nibs:

So did I - many years ago when I was a child. I am puzzled by your
aggressive tone. After first making a fool of yourself by asserting
that gold nibs weigh little more than feathers, your later results are
now in rough agreement with the figures I have given, which are well
known to penmeisters. I would not place too much reliance on even your
later results however, for you do not seem to understand scales very
well. If you will reread my post, the figures I gave are for medium,
open nibs, not small, hooded nibs.

At all periods, even before the advent of the stainless steel nib, the
vast majority of nibs have been made of steel, not gold. Anyone so
ignorant of pens as to dispute this need not be taken seriously.

I make it a practice of replying only _once_ to aggressive, ignorant or
insulting correspondants. I make an exception only when the fellow
seems to have something to contribute, or when I am in a fey mood. You
deserve _one_ reply merely for your endless - although somewhat
unreliable - weighing of nibs.

Old December 14th 06, 10:48 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
BL

virgiliopoeta wrote:

If you will reread my post, the figures I gave
are for medium, open nibs, not small, hooded
nibs.

Verge... Jon weighed six of his Waterman #2 nibs and reported the
results. By saying "...the figures I gave are for medium, open nibs,
not small, hooded nibs," you seem to be implying that Waterman #2 nibs
are small, hooded nibs. Have you ever seen a Waterman #2 nib?

At all periods, even before the advent of the
stainless steel nib, the vast majority of nibs
have been made of steel, not gold. Anyone so
ignorant of pens as to dispute this need not be
taken seriously.

Jon mentioned, and you elected to ignore, some verifiable facts (this
appears to be one of your modi operandorum). I, too, have in front of
me Andreas Lambrou's Fountain Pens of World published in 1995 by
Classic Pens (London). As Jon mentioned, the following appears on page
39: "Waterman had dominated the market at the turn of century, when
seven out of ten fountain pens bore the company's trademark."

I'm sitting here with copies of old catalogs, Verge. Anyone can buy or
borrow copies (or dig up originals) and verify the following:

Number of steel-nibbed pens offered by Waterman in 1895, 1925, and
1933 = 0

Number of steel-nibbed pens offered by Conklin in 1909 and 1913 = 0

Number of steel-nibbed pens offered by Parker in 1921, 1938, 1939,
1940, and 1941 = 0

Number of steel-nibbed pens offered by Sheaffer in 1941 = 0

Number of steel-nibbed pens offered by Wahl in 1925 and 1929 = 0

And here's and excerpt from an article by Floyd Stuart that appears on
Richard Binder's site:

"As the world moved inexorably toward the next global conflict, an
irony appears involving fountain pens and gold. Today one rarely finds
a Japanese fountain pen made in the late 1930s or the 1940s that has
its original gold nib, even though during this period throughout the
world most nibs were made of a gold alloy."

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=re...war_and_fp.htm

Mr. Stuart's e-mail address is available in a link preceding the
article. You might want to contact him and let him know that he has
his facts wrong.

Seriously, Verge, the evidence is mounting and it ain't tilting in
your favor. Surely you must have some verifiable evidence of your own
to back up your claim that "At all periods ... the vast majority of
nibs have been made of steel, not gold." Now, I've provided verifiable
evidence that the company that dominated the fountain pen market at
the turn of the century didn't make steel-nibbed pens. Neither did
Conklin, Sheaffer, Parker, or Eversharp. Please tell us who was making
steel nibbed fountain pens during the late 1800s - early 1900s?

I make it a practice of replying only _once_ to
aggressive, ignorant or insulting correspondants.
I make an exception only when the fellow seems to
have something to contribute, or when I am in a
fey mood. You deserve _one_ reply merely for your
endless - although somewhat unreliable - weighing
of nibs.

You know, Verge, if you keep this up, we're going to have to start
charging you tuition. -- Cheers! B