new nickel oddity?

Old March 22nd 04, 03:39 AM
Fred

Default new nickel oddity?

I was searching a few rolls of the new nickels and I noticed that quite a
few of them had extra metal in the "C" of AMERICA.

Any thoughts??

Fred

Old March 22nd 04, 03:51 AM
J. Craton

Fred wrote:

I was searching a few rolls of the new nickels and I noticed that quite a
few of them had extra metal in the "C" of AMERICA.

Any thoughts??

Fred

I'd say most likely a chipped die.

--
Jason Craton ---- CONECA N-3407 --- WINS #5
---------------------------

Nick is a DICK!
Reid is a troglodyte!

Old March 22nd 04, 03:57 AM
Bill Krummel

"Fred" wrote in message
I was searching a few rolls of the new nickels and I noticed that quite a
few of them had extra metal in the "C" of AMERICA.

Any thoughts??

Fred

Chipped die, right? I just looked at 5, and all the Cs are clean. I did
notice that the strike varies a lot. Look at the eagle on the sleeve. A
couple of mine have very little feather detail, one has super detail and the
other two are in between. Bill

Old March 22nd 04, 11:40 AM
Fred

Right, hmmmm, a chipped die?

So exactly how does this happen?

Fred

Old March 22nd 04, 06:43 PM
Joe Fischer

On Mon, "Fred" wrote:

Right, hmmmm, a chipped die?

So exactly how does this happen?

A piece of the die breaks off. :-)

Usually it is the part that sticks up in the middle
of letters or numbers, but can be any part of the die.

I have some cents with cracked skull die cracks
where a piece of the die broke next to the crack,
causing what looks like something oozing out.

I suspect accidents also happen, I have some
1995P cents with what looks like a file cut on the curve
inside the rim, this sticks up on the coin, and cannot
be faked, it identifies the obverse die positively.
Prior to 1990 the date on some coins may have
been cut into the working die or the intermediate
hub, and it is likely that some hand work was done
on the working dies, making accidents possible,
and some variations in shape of date, which might
have created a part of the die sticking up that was
too small to be strong enough to not break with
many strikes.

Die cracks or chips always stick up on coins,
defective planchets usually have a depression or
a loose part that may bent upwards.
The working hub(s) look identical to the
coin, and being they are also hubbed from a
master hub that looks like a working die, there
is the possibility that small problems could occur
on them, but they are probably inspected better,
and redone if the problem is big enough to notice.

The Margolis book on error coins has pictures
and descriptions of how hubs and dies are made,
it is advertised in some coin magazines.

Joe Fischer

Old March 23rd 04, 03:26 AM
Richard L. Hall

Want to see some other coins (cents) with chipped dies check my error pages
below.

Minor Errors: http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins/Errors//Errors.htm
http://home.netcom.com/~richlh/Coins...s//Errors2.htm

--