Not published with dust jacket??

Old August 20th 03, 01:26 PM
Anne

Default Not published with dust jacket??

I have a copy of "Sid Says" by John M. Sidall, 1917. When I go to
various sites (AddALL, abebooks, alibris) to check prices and other
editions, most of the descriptions state "Not published with dust
jacket." However, my copy does have a dust jacket, so these
descriptions must (?) be incorrect.

How does this happen? I wonder sometimes if descriptions are
"borrowed" from other descriptions -- i.e., a seller doesn't write
his/her own but counts on previous descriptions being correct or at
least "good enough." And what effect would the presence of a dust
jacket have on the price if I were to sell this book?

As may be obvious, I'm a relative newbie to this field, though a
lifelong reader and lover of books. Thanks in advance for any
comments!

Anne
Old August 20th 03, 06:12 PM
Anne

You're right, none of the listings for the 1917 version state "not
published with dust jacket."

You'd probably get half of this at most, if you sold. So I stand to
be corrected on this - possibly this is one of the most sought after
books ever - but I'd be surprises if it raised more than say - $100
tops?

Yeah... that's about what I would have said, actually, though I guess
we can hope it's an underestimate!

Anne
Old August 21st 03, 04:22 AM
Mike Berro

However, I have found DJs for books that everyone (including me) assumed
didn't have them. Once a dealer lists a book in a certain way, the
description is apt to propagate.

---Mike
http://www.booktouronline.com

om...