uncollected Salinger and his ravening lawyers

Old November 11th 07, 12:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default uncollected Salinger and his ravening lawyers

We (i.e. the charity shop I work for) have been given a copy of the
second printing of The Complete Uncollected Stories of J.D. Salinger.
Fine condition. Probably worth us sending it for auction (we don't
do EBay for corporate reasons) - if an auction house will take it.
It isn't all that rare, but do bad legal things happen to people who
try to sell copies?

Old November 16th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Scot Kamins

wrote:
We (i.e. the charity shop I work for) have been given a copy of the
second printing of The Complete Uncollected Stories of J.D. Salinger.
Fine condition. Probably worth us sending it for auction (we don't
do EBay for corporate reasons) - if an auction house will take it.
It isn't all that rare, but do bad legal things happen to people who
try to sell copies?

Why should they?

Maybe by "copy" he means a xerox.

OP, what do you mean?

--
Scot Kamins
Maintaining the Modern Library collectors website
Old November 16th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
RF

On Nov 16, 3:49 pm, Scot Kamins wrote:
In article .com,

wrote:
We (i.e. the charity shop I work for) have been given a copy of the
second printing of The Complete Uncollected Stories of J.D. Salinger.
Fine condition. Probably worth us sending it for auction (we don't
do EBay for corporate reasons) - if an auction house will take it.
It isn't all that rare, but do bad legal things happen to people who
try to sell copies?

Why should they?

Maybe by "copy" he means a xerox.

Why would he describe the condition as "fine" or say it is "not rare"
if a Xerox?
Old November 16th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jack Campin - bogus address

We (i.e. the charity shop I work for) have been given a copy of the
second printing of The Complete Uncollected Stories of J.D. Salinger.
Fine condition. Probably worth us sending it for auction (we don't
do EBay for corporate reasons) - if an auction house will take it.
It isn't all that rare, but do bad legal things happen to people who
try to sell copies?

Why should they?

Because Salinger didn't want this material republished, ever; he
has every legal right to prevent it; and he's a litigious SOB.

Maybe by "copy" he means a xerox.
OP, what do you mean?

No I don't mean a xerox (not that Salinger would be any happier
about somebody selling that).

We had a very early pirate edition of the first Harry Potter book
too. Probably worth something to collectors of the pathological
end of the book business (everything about it was crappy, from the
paper and the typeface to the out-of-register cover with its home
lamination) - that one we just got pulped, couldn't imagine it was
worth the hassle. But the Salinger does fetch a decent price for
dealers willing to sell it.

Old November 17th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
RF

On Nov 16, 5:49 pm, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:
We (i.e. the charity shop I work for) have been given a copy of the
second printing of The Complete Uncollected Stories of J.D. Salinger.
Fine condition. Probably worth us sending it for auction (we don't
do EBay for corporate reasons) - if an auction house will take it.
It isn't all that rare, but do bad legal things happen to people who
try to sell copies?
Why should they?

Because Salinger didn't want this material republished, ever; he
has every legal right to prevent it; and he's a litigious SOB.

Seems to me that you are being absurd.

Old November 17th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Scot Kamins

In article
,
RF wrote:

Why would he describe the condition as "fine" or say it is "not rare"
if a Xerox?

Donno, Bob. Just trying to understand, is all.

Old November 17th 07, 04:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
foad[_3_]

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
We (i.e. the charity shop I work for) have been given a copy of the
second printing of The Complete Uncollected Stories of J.D. Salinger.
Fine condition. Probably worth us sending it for auction (we don't
do EBay for corporate reasons) - if an auction house will take it.
It isn't all that rare, but do bad legal things happen to people who
try to sell copies?
Why should they?

Because Salinger didn't want this material republished, ever; he
has every legal right to prevent it; and he's a litigious SOB.

Yeah, probably 90 year old JD Salinger living in seclusion in NH is going to
hear about your charity shop's $100 auction 8000 miles away and he's got
nothing better to do than sue you. You certainly have your finger on the
pulse.

Maybe by "copy" he means a xerox.
OP, what do you mean?

No I don't mean a xerox (not that Salinger would be any happier
about somebody selling that).

We had a very early pirate edition of the first Harry Potter book
too. Probably worth something to collectors of the pathological
end of the book business (everything about it was crappy, from the
paper and the typeface to the out-of-register cover with its home
lamination) - that one we just got pulped, couldn't imagine it was
worth the hassle. But the Salinger does fetch a decent price for
dealers willing to sell it.

Good point, there's only 21 brave souls on ABE who are brave enough to sell
them, they've slipped under the radar there.

If I were you I'd probably burn that copy and just to be safe scatter the
ashes in the ocean. Salinger can't swim very well, he'd never find them
there.

============== j-c ====== @ ====== purr . demon . co . uk
==============
Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660
4760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/ for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554
975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739
557

Old November 18th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
John R. Yamamoto-Wilson

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

Salinger didn't want this material republished, ever; he has
every legal right to prevent it; and he's a litigious SOB.

It's true that in 1974 he took legal action (against the publisher and
against bookstores) to prevent these stories from circulating, but
perhaps he's past caring now. As someone else has pointed out, they are
being sold on ABE, and someone has even (quite illegally) made pretty
much all of his work - including these stories - available online:

http://www.terebess.hu/english/salinger.html

If he, or any appointed agents, were even half-interested in protecting
his legal rights, surely they'd come down on that site like a ton of
bricks. The fact that they don't suggests that he's not monitoring
copyright infringement, etc., and isn't employing anyone else to do so
on his behalf.

John
Old November 20th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Scot Kamins

In article ,
"John R. Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote:

It's true that in 1974 he took legal action (against the publisher and
against bookstores) to prevent these stories from circulating, but
perhaps he's past caring now. As someone else has pointed out, they are
being sold on ABE, and someone has even (quite illegally) made pretty
much all of his work - including these stories - available online:

http://www.terebess.hu/english/salinger.html

This whole thing brings up the question if whether any individual or
business can be sued for selling any published book.