New Books With Rough Page Edges

Old June 16th 07, 06:58 AM posted to rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
John

Default New Books With Rough Page Edges

Hope my subject described this correctly. What is it about books being made
that have "rough" page edges, as if they're supposed to look all old &
ancient right off the shelf? When I was younger, I used to think that this
was cool -- made me feel sort of erudite. Now that I read much more, I find
it quite annoying when I turn pages.

By the way, is there a word for this?

Old June 16th 07, 07:08 AM posted to rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
michael

John wrote:
Hope my subject described this correctly. What is it about books being made
that have "rough" page edges, as if they're supposed to look all old &
ancient right off the shelf? When I was younger, I used to think that this
was cool -- made me feel sort of erudite. Now that I read much more, I find
it quite annoying when I turn pages.

By the way, is there a word for this?

petty? irascible? princess-and-the-pea-ish?

michael
Old June 16th 07, 07:20 AM posted to rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
prosphora

michael wrote:
John wrote:
Hope my subject described this correctly. What is it about books
being made that have "rough" page edges, as if they're supposed to
look all old & ancient right off the shelf? When I was younger, I
used to think that this was cool -- made me feel sort of erudite. Now
that I read much more, I find it quite annoying when I turn pages.

By the way, is there a word for this?

petty? irascible? princess-and-the-pea-ish?

michael

I often think the production of new books is useless when there are so
many old unread books.

Old June 16th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

John,

The book collecting term for "rough" page edges is "uncut;" however,
it might be wiser to say that the edges are "untrimmed." Quite
often, the term "uncut" is confused with the term "unopened." which
means that the pages of a signature have not been "separated."

best,
Jerry Morris

Old June 16th 07, 10:50 PM posted to rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
jadel

On Jun 16, 1:58 am, "John" wrote:
Hope my subject described this correctly. What is it about books being made
that have "rough" page edges, as if they're supposed to look all old &
ancient right off the shelf? When I was younger, I used to think that this
was cool -- made me feel sort of erudite. Now that I read much more, I find
it quite annoying when I turn pages.

By the way, is there a word for this?

Silly?

It's a deckle edge. Photofinishers used to make prints with deckle
edges; you'd probably dislike them, too.

J. Del Col

Old June 17th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
my-wings

"jadel" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 16, 1:58 am, "John" wrote:
Hope my subject described this correctly. What is it about books being
made
that have "rough" page edges, as if they're supposed to look all old &
ancient right off the shelf? When I was younger, I used to think that
this
was cool -- made me feel sort of erudite. Now that I read much more, I
find
it quite annoying when I turn pages.

By the way, is there a word for this?

Silly?

It's a deckle edge. Photofinishers used to make prints with deckle
edges; you'd probably dislike them, too.

J. Del Col

A true deckle edge is an artifact of the process of hand making paper. It is
the untrimmed edge of the paper at the sides of the mold, next to the
deckle. The deckle was a removable part of the mold, a kind of wooden rim,
that served to keep the paper fibers from washing off the screen-like bed of
the mold. Deckle edge could also be used to describe modern paper produced
with an artificial deckle edge, and perhaps that's in the eye of the
beholder. I personally wouldn't use "deckle edge" except for the real thing,
but maybe I've never seen a manufactured deckle edge that comes close enough
to the real thing to qualify, in my opinion.

Jerry Morris, in another post, was correct as far as standard book
descriptions go: "cut" means smoothly trimmed; "trimmed" at one time meant
more roughly finished, but has now acquired nearly the same meaning as
"uncut" used to have, possibly because of the confusion of "uncut" with
"unopened." According to John Carter, in *ABC For Book Collectors*, the term
"rough trimmed" is sometimes used for edges not cut smooth.

I have examples of several edge trims on my website, including a true deckle
edge. http://www.mywingsbooks.com/coll-terms/edg02_.shtml

Alice

Old June 17th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
Barbara Bailey

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 01:23:08 GMT, "my-wings"
wrote:

"jadel" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Jun 16, 1:58 am, "John" wrote:
[...]

Alice, that page is incredibly helpful! The differences between the
examples are clear, and both the photography and the explanations are
beautiful.

Thank you.

Old June 18th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
jadel

On Jun 16, 9:23 pm, "my-wings" wrote:
"jadel" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jun 16, 1:58 am, "John" wrote:
[...]

Too bad. Except to pedants, it's a deckle edge--pseudo or not.

J. Del Col

Old June 18th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books
Scot Kamins

In article ,
Barbara Bailey wrote:

Alice, that page is incredibly helpful! The differences between the
examples are clear, and both the photography and the explanations are
beautiful.

I agree. Thanks for doing this, Alice. I may have to post a link to your
whole "book terms" section on ModernLib. :-D

--
Scot Kamins
Maintaining the Modern Library collectors website

Rough Page ends?? [email protected] Books 2 February 8th 06 11:30 PM
Straight edges Ralphael1 General Discussion 11 July 30th 05 02:14 AM
coin edges again beekeep Coins 2 January 28th 05 10:31 PM
What's it called? Non-spine edges Michael Redman Books 5 March 12th 04 08:29 PM
Visual Aids - Page edges my-wings Books 2 September 14th 03 02:50 PM