warped boards

Old December 30th 06, 08:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
my-wings

Default warped boards

Is there any cure for warped boards? I just bought a book that's got a badly
warped back board, probably water damage. I'm not very optimistic that just
putting it under a heavy weight will fix the problem, and in fact, it might
put too much of a strain on the joint.

Any suggestions?

Alice

--
Book collecting terms illustrated. Occasional books for sale.
http://www.mywingsbooks.com/

Old December 30th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
John R. Yamamoto-Wilson

my-wings wrote:

Is there any cure for warped boards? I just bought a book that's got a badly
warped back board, probably water damage. I'm not very optimistic that just
putting it under a heavy weight will fix the problem, and in fact, it might
put too much of a strain on the joint.

Any suggestions?

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byfor.../msg00069.html
http://www.bookologist.com/cab/abu/y203/m05/bk0004/s04

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Old December 31st 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
my-wings

"John R. Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote in message
ups.com...
my-wings wrote:

Is there any cure for warped boards? I just bought a book that's got a
badly
warped back board, probably water damage. I'm not very optimistic that
just
putting it under a heavy weight will fix the problem, and in fact, it
might
put too much of a strain on the joint.

Any suggestions?

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byfor.../msg00069.html
http://www.bookologist.com/cab/abu/y203/m05/bk0004/s04

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Thanks, John! I'm off to add clamps to my tool kit!

Alice

Old December 31st 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter

my-wings wrote:

Is there any cure for warped boards? I just bought a book that's got a
badly
warped back board, probably water damage. I'm not very optimistic that
just
putting it under a heavy weight will fix the problem, and in fact, it
might
put too much of a strain on the joint.

Any suggestions?

http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byfor.../msg00069.html
http://www.bookologist.com/cab/abu/y203/m05/bk0004/s04

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Thanks, John! I'm off to add clamps to my tool kit!

Alice

Hi Alice,

There is an old saying among woodworkers:

You can never have too many clamps.

I must have sixty C-clamps, and sometimes I use all of them. Then there are the
pipe clamps, etc. etc. I have even recently used a very heavy, very large drill
press clamp to rigidly hold a book while I was working on its spine.

Francis A. Miniter