Shows vs E-bay

Old November 22nd 04, 02:58 AM
BH

So why cant NSU put on a show out here in Southern Cal once or twice a yer?

Barry

kevin le pore wrote:

Hey Mike ,

Yeah , New Yorks land of the Taxes , Gas is expensive , over $2.20 a
gallon

NYC is even Worse , I've been there twice this month and everythings
high priced , Especially the collectables market..

the Shows cost alomost 3 times as much to get in to ( admission $15.oo a
head ) and buying Tables @ shows is around $300.oo a 6 foot table , If
you set up & don't make table space $ you've basicly given your stuff
away by the time you get done , the crowds are usually good @ the shows,
but everyones looking for deals and alot of the $$ changing hands is
between dealers buying off each other..very little trading going on..

I like the smaller 1 day shows in upstate New York alot better , less
travel , better prices on tables
and provided the promoters advertise the show theres usually a decent
crowd attending

So Far theres been a couple shows that cancelled here in Upstate ,( 1
Star Trek Convention & 1-2 smaller shows ) either due to poor
management by promoters or not enuff dealers buying tables to make it
worth setting up@

I went to 1 show last weekend , 80% Crafts & baked goods , 20%
collectables , Almost no advrtiseing for this show except word of mouth
, and it was in a new locatioon which alot of people had trouble finding
,

I love going to the shows , (as a collector ) and i always bring some
boxes of stuff to try and trade with other dealers , but it's getting
harder to travel for the shows with gas prices high , cost of rooms ,
tolls , plus traveling 400 + miles to & from a show gets old quick...

the only good "card related" shows I've been to in the last couple years
have been the NSU Shows , Theres Always alot of Great Card Dealers to
shop from and trade with there..

Theres another big convention this coming weekend in NYC , the Big Apple
National Comic Convention, i'll be there hunting around for cards &
comics and checking out the artists tables , And theres also the NYC
Movie Memobilia con Sunday Nov 21st @ the Hotel Pennsylvnia
401 Seventh Ave @ 33rd st , So if your in the NYC Area , theres 2 shows
to check out this weekend ,

Hope to see you all @ the Next NSU show
and it's nice to see some interesting discussions on this site...

Best Regards , Kevin

P.S. Anyone interested in TRADES , Check out my 2 webpages , Thanks ,
Kevin

Kevin C. LePore
12 Sebastion Drive
Rochester , New York
U.S.A. 14625

http://community.webtv.net/kevinlepo...insComicsCards

http://community.webtv.net/kevinlepore/KevinscardList

Old November 22nd 04, 03:14 AM
BH

I really feel deprived living out here in Southern Cal. We have no
shows except Comicon. You guys back east have card shows all year long.

Barry

Subject: Shows vs E-bay
From: (B and B)
Date: 11/18/04 10:28 AM Eastern Standard Time

snip

I'll not quite understand why anyone who lives within driving distance
(and we drove 6 hours each way to set up in Secaucus) doesn't attend.
It is so much fun, seeing product in advance..seeing everything 'live'
up close and personal. Being able to shop for everything and anything
in one place..and do comparison shopping by walking up and down the
aisles of 75 tables full of nothing but nonsports cards.
Like being a kid in a candy store again.

Nothing like buying on eBay. Now I'm not knocking buying on eBay.
Heck, I do it myself. But shows to me are what this 'hobby' is
about...not only sitting isolated in a room and reading auction after
auction, but interacting with other collectors, sharing the joy and
excitement..finding those cards I've wanted for a long time and being
surrounded by other folks who can appreciate that!!! ...forming ongoing
relationships with collectors and dealers alike.

In my mind, nothing will ever replace that.
E-Bay may add to that...but never, never replace that.

Byrna
B&B Grrrl AF & Cards

WELL SAID - When I have attended the Philly Show -- I am the kid in the candy
store. Before I started setting up a table there, I came anyway to buy product
-- mostly for ME.

I think the most interesting thing about this topic is the apparent "bad
feelings" that some collectors have about dealers selling anything before
*they* get the chance to buy it?

Ebay is great to move product -- a Show is great to find something you haven't
seen in a long long while or that you even new existed.

Come on collectors -- back away from the keyboards and go to any show in your
area...

Speaking of which - I attend many sports shows and do find many nonsport cards
hiding out in athletic land.

All in All - It is FANTASTIC seeing so many responses to this thread!

Mike Surratt
www.mikzcardz.com

Old November 22nd 04, 02:59 PM
DavesTIB

Just did another 2 day show this weekend. luckily I lived 20 minuted away and
had no hotel costs. Show was okay, but as with every show this fall the people
were not spending money on cards or toys.

Lots of people buying autographed photos(like I believe you can get real autos
of some of these people for $15-50).

The big money was spent on Boot legged videos. There were at least 8 dealers
for a total of about 22-25 tables of merchandise. I can't tell you how many
dealers I saw with movies that haven't even been released to the theaters yet.
I could get Shrek 2 Movie 2 months ago for $10. Now I understand that people
are mad are Hollywood for charging $30-$50 for DVDs, but buying these movies
from dealers for $15 that cost them maybe $2 and then complaining about the
cost of sets or chase cards when we are paying $50 plus per box and are barely
breaking even.

Anyway time to go post on e-bay. All the good stuff that I didn't sell this
weekend.

Dave

Old November 22nd 04, 11:10 PM
Beamer

To specifically answer your final point: The SDCC & WW Chicago show are
almost all comic related dealers. Not non-sport card dealers. Philly
and Dee's show are non-sports card shows, There are a handful of
non-sport dealers at the cons compared to the hundreds of other comic
related dealers This is what we are talking about. The state of non
sports cards, not comics and other crap.

My final point -- if the internet is causing such a poor turnout at
shows why are both San Diego and Wizard World Chicago reporting record
attendance every year? Clearly people are willing to go to shows . . .
but that question is rhetorical.

Jon

Old November 23rd 04, 12:49 AM
DavesTIB

Mike,

The Big shows are drawing in people who are buying Non-sports as well. I've
sold a lot of TV and Movie related card sets at the Wizard World shows. Sets
that I couldn't sell at a Non-sport show will sell at Wizard World. I know at
least 8 Non-sport dealers that do Wizard World and almost all have been happy
at the shows. I wouldn't drive 18 hours each way if it wasn't profitable.

Dave

Old November 23rd 04, 01:35 AM
Jon Doyle

I can't speak about Philly or Dee's show as they are both on the East
Coast (and since they are both on one coast they aren't exactly
representative of the entire industry). . .

But as Dave said there are generally as many tables selling Non-Sport
cards at WW and San Diego as there are at other strictly Non-Sport Shows
like The Chicago Non-Sport Card Expo.

As Dave said -- if the dealer couldn't make back their $800+ table fees
at Wizard they wouldn't be setting up. Since the WW table fee is more
than twice that of the smaller shows (to my knowledge) clearly it is
advantageous for people to set up at shows like that -- clearly people
are going there buying non-sport cards. . . why doesn't that equate to
anything in your 'State of Non-Sport cards?'

Jon

Old November 23rd 04, 11:06 PM
Mars53

Are they selling non-sports set and inserts by what the marketplace can handle
or just giving them away to cover costs?

I'm one that believe that sets should still sell for more than what they do on
ebay. Which has made me change how I do business now.

One can't purchase a box of cards wholesale at lets say $50.00. Than make two
common sets and a hand full of inserts. You look at the going priece on ebay
and the sets are going for $3 -$10 and the insert are doing much better.

I'll set on my sets until I can get a fair market value for them and he inserts
too.

So you understand me, I include with each set a promo card and the retailers ad
sheet while they last. The set is hand collated into pages ready for a binder.

I have now started ordering more binders and less cards. At least I know that I
can make a few dollars at selling the binder starting at $20.00. That is a fair
price.

Just me to cents. Mall show are hard selling shows for non-sport, the
convention are the way to go.