Is this Genuine ??

Old January 1st 05, 12:45 PM
Frank Cassidy

Default Is this Genuine ??

Does anyone know if this is genuine and if so can they point me in the
direction of more information
Many thanks

Frank
Old January 1st 05, 02:10 PM
Bill

I have heard of foreign Chinese banks doing this but not this particular
bank.
If you can find "Chinese Banknotes" by Ward D. Smith & Brian Matravers that
would probably have the answer. The following link is from someone who had a
similar question about Chinese money to yours and has links to people who
may be able to help.

http://home.netvigator.com/~ykleungn/unknown2.htm

Bill

Old January 1st 05, 02:58 PM
Frank Cassidy

Bill

Thanks for the information. Why I queried it really was the fact that
the seller claimed these were used during a banknote shortage, I for the
life of me fail to see how sticking to halves of different notes
together would solve a shortage problem. Stick the other two together
and you still have two notes.

I think I'll e-mail the seller and ask him, it's really got my
curiosity.

Cheers
Frank
Old January 2nd 05, 01:37 PM
Bill

Frank

Let us know if you get an answer

I think the notes were obsolete when reissued and "cut up" to make them
unique.
from their original issue

Some Chinese Banks allowed notes to be cut in half and circulate (with
counter signing) to cover there shortages when the crisis was over the notes
were rejoined and still circulated for example almost all of the National
and Commercial savings Bank's issue of 1924 that still exist today are 2
halves joined together.

Cheers

Old January 2nd 05, 03:59 PM
Frank

Here is the answer I got.

I view of the previous answer about notes cut in half and after the
shortage was over glued back together again I suppose it sounds
reasonable

Thanks to you all for responding

Frank
The write up I gave with this listing was supplied with the notes by
R.E. Bob Wallace, a long time numismatist dealer who died in 1999. He
was very knowledgeable and was well known among dealers and collectors
alike. I purchased the notes from his widow. I searched both Pick and
Smith/Matravers and found no clue about these notes. I too fail to see
how these notes helped a shortage. They were printed by the American
Bank Note Company and issued by the National City Bank Of New York for
20
years. Sincerely,