Weird Remainder Mark

Old July 13th 03, 07:52 PM
my-wings

Default Weird Remainder Mark

I picked up some fantasy books at my local thrift shop and several of them
had a big, black, magic-marker "B" on the page edges. At first I assumed
that it was an idiosyncrasy of the former owner ("Bob" perhaps?) but then I
found the same title on ABE with a description of the same mark on the
bottom page edges.

The books are _The Gate of the Cat_ by Andre Norton and _The City In the
Autumn Stars_ by Michael Moorcock. Both are first editions published by Ace
Fantasy.

I've got this identified as a remainder mark on my Visual Aids page, but I'm
wondering how common this actually is. Does anyone know anything about this
mark? ("B" for "bad book!" perhaps? Or "B-list"? Or "Boot it out!"?)

Thanks.

Alice

Old July 13th 03, 09:00 PM
MindElec

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:52:54 GMT, "my-wings"
declared:

I picked up some fantasy books at my local thrift shop and several of them
had a big, black, magic-marker "B" on the page edges. At first I assumed
that it was an idiosyncrasy of the former owner ("Bob" perhaps?) but then I
found the same title on ABE with a description of the same mark on the
bottom page edges.

The books are _The Gate of the Cat_ by Andre Norton and _The City In the
Autumn Stars_ by Michael Moorcock. Both are first editions published by Ace
Fantasy.

I've got this identified as a remainder mark on my Visual Aids page, but I'm
wondering how common this actually is. Does anyone know anything about this
mark? ("B" for "bad book!" perhaps? Or "B-list"? Or "Boot it out!"?)

dunno the reason, but i have also seen it on many science fiction
books. specifically ones published by "ace" iirc.

robert

"I've been long, a long way from here
Put on a poncho, played for mosquitos,
And drank til I was thirsty again
We went searching through thrift store jungles
Found Geronimo's rifle, Marilyn's shampoo
And Benny Goodman's corset and pen"
Old July 13th 03, 09:30 PM
John

In message , MindElec
writes

I've got this identified as a remainder mark on my Visual Aids page, but I'm
wondering how common this actually is. Does anyone know anything about this
mark? ("B" for "bad book!" perhaps? Or "B-list"? Or "Boot it out!"?)

dunno the reason, but i have also seen it on many science fiction
books. specifically ones published by "ace" iirc.

Possibly a way of identifying books in a job lot at auction to buy the
remainders or something similar ?

--
John
Old July 14th 03, 10:52 AM
Mark

Have you tried emailing the publisher? They might find it funny that their
remainder mark is creating so much confusion.

"my-wings" wrote in message
[...]

mark hammill signing in new york Barefootmk Autographs 3 April 7th 04 06:12 PM
Mark Metcalf success Kris Autographs 3 February 20th 04 02:48 PM
Mark Hamill in person report dahoov2 Autographs 21 December 12th 03 08:44 PM
Mark Goodman - MTV VJ? Beverwyk Autographs 5 November 27th 03 12:50 AM
FS: MINT Rage Red Parker 51 Mark III mp3 Pens & Pencils 0 August 16th 03 03:27 PM