Zimbabwe

Old December 8th 07, 10:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

Default Zimbabwe

A Zimbabwe tourist promoter is facing a year in jail for overprinting 10
cent banknotes as business cards at a tourism fair in London, he is being
accused of insulting behaviour.

One matchstick costs Z$3,000 and a bag of sugar Z$3,000,000.

Officially inflation in Zimbabwe is 8,000% but the true figure is closer to
90,000% and is expected to reach 100,000% by the end of the year. Billy

Old December 8th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Padraic Brown

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 10:18:29 GMT, "note.boy"
wrote:

A Zimbabwe tourist promoter is facing a year in jail for overprinting 10
cent banknotes as business cards at a tourism fair in London, he is being
accused of insulting behaviour.

One matchstick costs Z$3,000 and a bag of sugar Z$3,000,000.

Officially inflation in Zimbabwe is 8,000% but the true figure is closer to
90,000% and is expected to reach 100,000% by the end of the year. Billy

With prices like that, what do they do with a 10c note? I guess you
can buy about a grain of sugar with it!

Is it illegal to overprint banknotes, even worthless things like Z$,
in the UK?

Padraic

Old December 9th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Ukraina Dvi

wrote:

A Zimbabwe tourist promoter is facing a year in jail for overprinting 10
cent banknotes as business cards at a tourism fair in London, he is being
accused of insulting behaviour.

One matchstick costs Z$3,000 and a bag of sugar Z$3,000,000.

Officially inflation in Zimbabwe is 8,000% but the true figure is closer
90,000% and is expected to reach 100,000% by the end of the year. Billy

With prices like that, what do they do with a 10c note? I guess you
can buy about a grain of sugar with it!

Is it illegal to overprint banknotes, even worthless things like Z$,
in the UK?

Padraic

This is a case where a Zimbabwean businessman overprinted them probably in
Zimbabwe but distributed them in the UK. But even if he did it in the UK, I
am sure Mugabe would find a way to still take exception to it. Fact is the
country is led by a nutcase.

Old December 9th 07, 09:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

wrote:

A Zimbabwe tourist promoter is facing a year in jail for overprinting 10
cent banknotes as business cards at a tourism fair in London, he is being
accused of insulting behaviour.

One matchstick costs Z$3,000 and a bag of sugar Z$3,000,000.

Officially inflation in Zimbabwe is 8,000% but the true figure is closer
90,000% and is expected to reach 100,000% by the end of the year. Billy

With prices like that, what do they do with a 10c note? I guess you
can buy about a grain of sugar with it!

Is it illegal to overprint banknotes, even worthless things like Z$,
in the UK?

Padraic

He had the problem when he got back to Zimbabwe, it would not be illegal to
overprint on non UK notes in the UK, I suppose.

I have a small collection of advertising notes, small because they don't
turn up very often, some are reproductions of the current English £1 note of
the time and their use ranges from political to advertising a bar in Spain.

Some are German inflation notes from 1923 overprinted with adverts ranging
from cinemas to garages, and political. Billy

Old December 9th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Padraic Brown

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 09:50:50 GMT, "note.boy"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

A Zimbabwe tourist promoter is facing a year in jail for overprinting 10
cent banknotes as business cards at a tourism fair in London, he is being
accused of insulting behaviour.

One matchstick costs Z$3,000 and a bag of sugar Z$3,000,000.

Officially inflation in Zimbabwe is 8,000% but the true figure is closer
90,000% and is expected to reach 100,000% by the end of the year. Billy

With prices like that, what do they do with a 10c note? I guess you
can buy about a grain of sugar with it!

Is it illegal to overprint banknotes, even worthless things like Z$,
in the UK?

Padraic

He had the problem when he got back to Zimbabwe, it would not be illegal to
overprint on non UK notes in the UK, I suppose.

Is it illegal to overprint UK notes?

I have a small collection of advertising notes, small because they don't
turn up very often, some are reproductions of the current English £1 note of
the time and their use ranges from political to advertising a bar in Spain.

Interesting! I wonder why bars in Spain would use reproduction UK
notes to advertise?

Some are German inflation notes from 1923 overprinted with adverts ranging
from cinemas to garages, and political. Billy

I've seen some of those, too. Over here, we also get adverts on the
backs of repro CSA notes from time to time.

And Ukrainia Dvi wrote:

Fact is the country (Zimbabwe) is led by a nutcase.

That is certainly true!

Padraic

Old December 9th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Ukraina Dvi

"Padraic Brown" wrote in message
Interesting! I wonder why bars in Spain would use reproduction UK
notes to advertise?

Because a lot of their customers are UK tourists escaping the cold weather
of the UK for sunny Iberia. Whole cities in Spain and Portugal are English
speaking now, many many expats there.

Old December 10th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

When handed to UK tourists in Spain they would at first think that they were
being given a genuine £1 note but when looked at again the back bears an
advert for the bar. Billy

Old December 11th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
[email protected]

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Some religious organisations print a picture of part of a
banknote on their pamphlets. So, if they just leave it in a
public place, then passersby might pick it up, thinking it is a
real note. Sometimes there is a snarky bit of text about how
eternal salvation is worth more than the ten bucks the reader was
hoping to have found.

I think it's really tacky.

--
Earn Money With Your Web Site