Ebay ended our CGA currency auctions

Old November 4th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Frank Provasek

Default Ebay ended our CGA currency auctions

Ebay apparently does not consider CGA a reputable grading service for
currency. They ended our listings and sent our bidders a notice that
we had violated eBay policy against selling counterfeits!!

Dear Frank,

Thank you for writing eBay in regard to your currency listings being
removed.

Your listings were removed because they violated our Coins policy in
regard to the sale of raw and uncertified currency. A raw or
uncertified coin is defined as any coin not graded by one of the five
authorized grading companies noted below. Sellers are permitted to
list
these items on eBay under the following conditions:

* A numeric grade is not included in the title of the listing,
such
as MS-65, VF-25, etc. A numeric grade may only be included in the
description of the listing.
* The grading company or price guide is not referenced in the
title
or description.
* A dollar value (even if personal opinion) is not included in
the
title or description.

This policy extends to paper money also. Any uncertified currency
must
follow this policy.

To list a certified currency, the currency must be certified by one of
the
following authorized grading companies:

* Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC)
* Numismatic Conservation Services (NCS)
* Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS)
* Independent Coin Grading (ICG)
* ANACS

In addition, listings for certified coins:

* Must be assigned the appropriate grading attributes in each
listing. Sellers must select the appropriate grading attributes
within
the Sell Your Item form, including "Grading Company," "Grade" and
"Serial Number" provided with that grading.
* The listing must include an image of the item, showing the coin
in
its graded holder, front and back.

Please see the following page for eBay's policies regarding the sale
of
coins:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-coins.html

Please see the following page for eBay's Code Of Conduct for selling
currency items:
http://pages.ebay.com/coins_code_of_conduct/

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Reine

Old November 5th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

I consider the slabbing of papermoney to be shameful and those who sell
them.

The selling of slabbed notes should be banned totally by ebay as it's near
impossible to detect cleaning and ironing once a note is slabbed. Billy

ps.com...

Old November 6th 07, 11:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Harvey

For that exact reason we use grading companies. They are expert at
detecting cleaning and ironing. People much prefer the security of graded
notes.

Old November 7th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

Judging from some of the slabbed Scottish notes I've seen on ebay that are
in alleged MS66 or some such nonsense they are NOT expert at detecting
cleaning and ironing. Why? I hear you ask.

Some of the notes slabbed as MS66 etc. do NOT exist in these grades as they
were folded by the bank before being issued so any that are "MS66" must have
been ironed.

This does not prevent the less informed collector paying silly money for a
"grade rarity" and this is the danger of slabbing coins or notes, some
collectors think that the grading companies are infallible, but we know
differently don't we.

My advice remains, never ever ever buy a slabbed note from anywhere. Billy

Old November 11th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Frank Provasek

We have seen numerous references to notes which appeared 20 years ago
in auction catalogs graded XF with
obvious light folds, pinholes or other minor defects somehow
miraculously healed and offered now as certified
Gem CU 65 notes WITH THE SAME SERIAL NUMBER. It's pretty damning
evidence that doctored notes are
being certified by companies which think their expertise in coins
automatically makes them experts in
banknotes.

----
Frank Provasek Rare Coins
http://www.frankcoins.com Ebay FRANKCOINS
Member ANA, Texas Numismatic Assoc, Texas Coin Dealers Assoc,
PCGS dealer, Full Time Dealer since 1991, Texas Auctioneer Lic 11259

Old November 12th 07, 10:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

Thank you for that information Frank, can you give any examples that could
be forwarded to the note slabbers?

Photos would be great if they were illustrated in the original auction
catalogues.

I find it astounding that some note collectors can believe that so many
genuine MSwhatever notes can exist. Billy

ups.com...

Old December 24th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Frank Provasek

On Nov 12, 4:38*am, "note.boy" wrote:
Thank you for that information Frank, can you give any examples that could
be forwarded to the note slabbers?

United States Paper Money Records by Martin Gengerke, (also in CD-ROM
format) tells collectors how many times a particular note has appeared
in auctions or in dealer price lists, and the grade of each note.
Old December 24th 07, 11:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

"Frank Provasek" wrote in message
On Nov 12, 4:38 am, "note.boy" wrote:
Thank you for that information Frank, can you give any examples that could
be forwarded to the note slabbers?

United States Paper Money Records by Martin Gengerke, (also in CD-ROM
format) tells collectors how many times a particular note has appeared
in auctions or in dealer price lists, and the grade of each note.

That must be a very interesting read, does the grade of a note change over
time? Billy