Shows vs E-bay

Old November 18th 04, 05:16 AM
MIKZCARDZ

Subject: Shows vs E-bay
From: Jon Doyle
Date: 11/17/04 5:47 PM Eastern Standard Time

Hi Jon -- I can tell you that it is VERY true that I sell higher dollar

inserts
on eBay and leftovers (unsold) do make it to the shows.

But saying that aren't you just admitting that the stuff you have at
shows isn't as desireable as what you've sold on eBay? Perhaps that's
why you're not making as many sales at shows.

I guess you really have to determine what is desireable??? I do not carry autos
or other higher dollar inserts very often at shows mainly because they sell
almost immediately on ebay. As a seller/dealer, my first goal is to recoup my
expenses and to make a profit. Both of these things I accomplish, period. I do
not understand your comment about my sales at shows? I could bring gold and
sell it for 1/2 off the market price and if there are no customers, who am I to
sell it to? I rarely lose money doing a show, but any dealer will tell you --
it sometimes happens.

I keep really good books on what I sell at shows...and newer product is *not*
what I mainly sell. Promotional Cards/sheets account for a large percentage of
my sales. Followed by what I consider "blow-out" set sales...to unopened boxes
(new and old) and then vintage cards when I have them.

Recouping your wholesale cost is a priority! Waiting for the right customer

buy that particular sketch card could take many months. Have you ever seen

near-empty Auto Card binder (or glass case) at any given show? Stuff sits
around.

Back to the previous point -- the stuff that doesn't sell on eBay sits
around. I've been to plenty of shows where all the dealers have
autograph cases packed with the same cards. Few dealers stock anything
out of the ordinary, and few have harder to find cards on their tables
(unless it just happens to be a set that just came out).

That said when I do find a table with stuff on it that I haven't been
looking at all day I stop and look a little harder -- I know there is
potential for me to find something cool on their table.

You would be amazed at the number of people that flip through the first couple
of pages of my insert books and then move on. My insert books are filled with
inserts from many many sets (new and old)...and I constantly ask people what
they might be looking for since I actually know what is in those binders. You
can't find treasures unless you look..or ask. You say that you walk by a table
that you feel will have the same ol' thing...I wonder if you miss
opportunities...maybe not...maybe so...many dealers keep product off the table
top to save on space/fees. I might be preaching to the choir here...

As far as different product...that's why I bring older product whenever
possible. But, It's really hard to determine what people might buy at any

given
show.

It may be difficult to figure out what people want to buy, but as a
dealer it's your job to know what you can sell.

One thing I can say is that there is safety in numbers -- the more you bring -
the more chance you have to sell something - If the people are there...and
they are there 24/7 on eBay (not at every show I've set up at). I have NO idea
what might sell, I'm not a mind reader.

As a collector I do my part-- when I find a dealer selling stuff I like
I make sure to email them what I'm looking for before I go to a show
they are selling at.

How would you know what they would bring? Your sentence does not make much
sense, unless you are talking about buying something from a certain dealer in
the past and contacting them for a future show, correct? I love
pre-orders...nothing like knowing that you will have guaranteed sales

As far as selling at a show is concerned, I think dealers need to
differenciate themselves . . . make yourself stand out in a crowd of
people all hawking the same goods.

Jon

Actually -- I notice many differences between dealers that maybe you do not
see. There is no chance that every dealer would have the exact inventory.

HERE's an Idea everyone -- CONTACT ME or any sellers coming to Philly in the
spring and send a list of what you are looking for. I'll be happy to bring it
and will not list the items on eBay since I have a RL sale in the works...I
usually price my card inventory at 1/2 off NSU price listings. I only blow out
sets that I have 20,30,40 of the same title.

I think all collectors would find that dealers are more than willing to work
with any customer in the real world (shows) -- we save on eBay transaction
fees.

Mike Surratt
www.mikzcardz.com
Old November 18th 04, 05:41 AM
Mars53

Mall shows in Virginia for any type of collectible are not hard to find, hard
for a promoter to get vendors.

Most malls have the idea that shows are below their customer base. If you want
shows in your local malls tell the management. Than you have to support the
shows too.

The malls want more money for their space and the vendors can't afford to pay
more, without the collectors coming to the shows.

This past weekend I sent a representive to a show in Maryland. The dealer room
had ten tables. A few were the promoters who was selling off there collection.
The cost for tables was cheap, but the autographs were out in left field
somewhere.

Again, if you want shows in your area, support the shows that you have now. If
your malls don't have any show ask them why not?

Agin, my 2 cents.
Old November 18th 04, 04:28 PM
B and B

There's so many issues, and so many differing viewpoints that have been
expressed in this thread...

Many dealers don't sell on eBay very much..we don't. If hard to find
cards are sold before a show, it's more likely to our regular customers
who buy from us all year round. But even with that, we keep an ongoing
inventory..and always have lots of higher end cards available at shows.

The other comment I have about this is, dealers have customers year
round, and they may set up at many shows. Of course what 'you' see at a
show is what is remaining.. We set up at 14-16 shows a year on average.
Hopefully we've sold alot at those shows!! No telling where you might
meet up with us within that schedule..and what we'll have.

I think this issue speaks more to customers developing an ongoing
relationship with a dealer or two..so we'll stock what 'you' need and
have it with us.

My experience, both as a dealer and as a collector, does not match some
of the comments I've read. Maybe it's because I'm on the East Coast,
and we have the Philly Nonsport Show twice a year..and now the Secaucus
Nonsport Show once a year...where there is nothing but nonsport card
dealers, and PLENTY of everything to choose from.

I suggest that folks here take a look at Nonsport Update's website, and
read their Card Talk Forum. Plenty of trading goes on at these
shows..collector to collector, dealer to dealer, and collector to
dealer.
(and thru the Talk Board Trading section as well).
We traded all weekend long at the Secaucus NJ show. Obviously,we're
only looking for cards we need..but still, trading was fruitful.

At the Talk Board you can find 6 pages of pictures of the Secaucus Show.

http://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve...851034 47&p=1

It was very well run, great exhibits by manufacturers Inkworks and
RIttenhouse,
a few celebrity guests, a group of well-known sketch artists, space for
trading, free parking, $5 admission..constant raffles with great prizes,
lots of comraderie..
an incredible variety of dealers set up there....with a ton of product
in all forms, binders, sets, singles, boxes, inserts, costumes,
autographs....vintage to current.

And there is another thread on Talk Board where folks who attended the
show are talking about it..with pretty solid positve reviews.

I'll not quite understand why anyone who lives within driving distance
(and we drove 6 hours each way to set up in Secaucus) doesn't attend.
It is so much fun, seeing product in advance..seeing everything 'live'
up close and personal. Being able to shop for everything and anything
in one place..and do comparison shopping by walking up and down the
aisles of 75 tables full of nothing but nonsports cards.
Like being a kid in a candy store again.

Nothing like buying on eBay. Now I'm not knocking buying on eBay.
Heck, I do it myself. But shows to me are what this 'hobby' is
about...not only sitting isolated in a room and reading auction after
auction, but interacting with other collectors, sharing the joy and
excitement..finding those cards I've wanted for a long time and being
surrounded by other folks who can appreciate that!!! ...forming ongoing
relationships with collectors and dealers alike.

In my mind, nothing will ever replace that.
E-Bay may add to that...but never, never replace that.

Byrna
B&B Grrrl AF & Cards

Old November 18th 04, 07:13 PM
MIKZCARDZ

From: (B and B)
Date: 11/18/04 10:28 AM Eastern Standard Time
snip

[...]

WELL SAID - When I have attended the Philly Show -- I am the kid in the candy
store. Before I started setting up a table there, I came anyway to buy product
-- mostly for ME.

I think the most interesting thing about this topic is the apparent "bad
feelings" that some collectors have about dealers selling anything before
*they* get the chance to buy it?

Ebay is great to move product -- a Show is great to find something you haven't
seen in a long long while or that you even new existed.

Come on collectors -- back away from the keyboards and go to any show in your
area...

Speaking of which - I attend many sports shows and do find many nonsport cards
hiding out in athletic land.

All in All - It is FANTASTIC seeing so many responses to this thread!

Mike Surratt
www.mikzcardz.com

Old November 19th 04, 01:14 AM
Jon Doyle

But saying that aren't you just admitting that the stuff you have at
shows isn't as desireable as what you've sold on eBay? Perhaps that's
why you're not making as many sales at shows.

I guess you really have to determine what is desireable??? I do not carry autos
or other higher dollar inserts very often at shows mainly because they sell
almost immediately on ebay.

But what I'm saying is that is it fair for you to say "The internet
has taken a very big bite out of "Real World" retail..." when you admit
that you sell your best cards on eBay? Perhaps the bite out of 'real
world' retail (for you) would not be so big if you had your best cards
at shows.

Just a thought -- I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, just
pointing out that not everyone is comparing apples to apples here.

Jon

Old November 19th 04, 01:44 AM
DavesTIB

Jon,

I've resisted selling my good stuff on e-bay, but people just aren't coming to
shows with money. If you don't take credit cards you don't sell high priced
cards. I've gone to letting people paypal me after the show to sell the cards.
I make them leave a deposit and have the rest paypaled to me later. It's just
the wonderful economy that we have now. So you either put it up on e-bay and
get money back or wait for your customers to pay their bills and pay over time.
Most dealers need the money to pay for the next overpriced undervalued
product.

Dave
Old November 19th 04, 05:28 AM
Jon Doyle

It's not that I don't feel for you guys. . . and it isn't like one
dealer can change everything, but it's a big picture thing at this point
-- in my opinion.

Since many dealers do sell their best stuff on eBay (I like buying in
person -- you know that, Dave :-) ) it has become the place to go to
buy the high end stuff. . . and when someone is looking for high end
stuff on eBay they often come across the other stuff they are looking
for. The only way to change what is happening online is to change it on
a dealer by dealer level. . . you aren't going to beat eBay -- it's just
not going to happen, so dealers need to focus on customers, and give
people a reason to stop at their tables -- ie. Dave -- he knows some of
the things that I like and I know that he has interesting stuff so his
table has become one that I plan on spending money at. At the last show
I attended Dave was the only person at the entire show to sell me loose
cards -- it's not because I ran out of money, or was being picky about
what I bought -- it's because he was the only one that had what I was
looking for.

Unfortunately I am forced to do shopping on eBay 9 months out of the
year as there are no dealers around here. Luckily there are a handful
of decent shows during the summer . . . actually it's probably good a
dealer like Dave isn't set up around here as I'm sure I'd end up
spending many times what I currently spend on cards.

In that same vein. . . it surprises me how few dealers direct market to
people. . . if someone were to send me lists of things I was interested
in I'm sure I'd be buying a lot more than I have been -- plus they
wouldn't be paying eBay fees, or table fees, and they'd be building a
relationship with a customer. . . the only thing I ever get from dealers
are press releases on new products.

Jon

Old November 19th 04, 02:48 PM
MIKZCARDZ

From: Jon Doyle
Date: 11/18/04 11:28 PM Eastern Standard Time
[...]

Hi Jon, actually, I have a non-ebay internet customer base. It is not a large
one, but, people do buy directly from me every now and then...even from this
newsgroup..

Mike
www.mikzcardz.com
Old November 19th 04, 07:24 PM
Lynne Stewart

Why not accept credit cards? It's alot easier now then it was when I got my
merchant account and I don't regret it a bit. And I imagine it'd be easier
now since most people have cel phones so calling into the merchant's host to
get a credit card authorization is alot easier then before when phones at
shows were near impossible. If you take paypal, you're already having fees
removed, so it's pretty much the same as a CC account.
Lynne