Card storage

Old October 30th 04, 02:26 PM
Lynne Stewart

Default Card storage

How does everyone keep their cards safe?
Do you consider the lifespan of pages to be an issue? I swapped out all my
pages about 5 years or so aga as I was worried about the quality. Wonder if
I should swap out again soemtime so they don't cause age issues.
Anyone lose a good card to sun fading?
Anyone find something that was BAD for cards (I lost cards to 3-ring binder
dents)?
Do you like cards in binders or protected in toploaders? or Snapdowns?
Which binder gets grabbed in a fire?

Old October 30th 04, 04:20 PM
Brian

Lynne Stewart wrote:

Which binder gets grabbed in a fire?

Depends on what the firefighter is a fan of! :-)

Old October 30th 04, 07:26 PM
Lynne Stewart

I have consideed putting all my impossilbe to replace cards in one easy to
grab binder, but really hate to sacrafice the diplsaying of cards for
paranoia...

Old October 30th 04, 10:38 PM

For those that have a lot of cards (especially high level chase cards), this
is my solution to storage and protection of my collection:

I place my cards in soft-sleeves with the top of the card going in first so
that the opening of the soft sleeve is at the bottom of the card. Then I
insert them into an Ultra-pro pages, so that they cards are pretty much
sealed (the opening of the soft-sleeve is at the bottom of the ultra-pro
pocket). The pages then go into binders, and I place my binders into a fire
resistant safe. I purchased a Browning gun safe (Bridger model) which is
fire resistant. The safe measures 5 feet tall, 2 feet wide and 18 inches
deep. I built shelves for the inside of the safe to place my binders on.
The safe is tall enough to house 4 rows of binders. I know the price tag
might sound a bit steep, as the safe cost me around $1000, but I figured it
was well worth it considering the alternatives, and it was going to cost me
a couple hundred dollars anyway, for an unprotected rack or shelf system to
house my collection.

Dan Carleton

Old October 31st 04, 05:12 AM
Jen Badham

i just use the ultra-pro pages in normal binders for my standard cards and
other common sizes. my A4 sized uncut cards, sell sheets, foreign (generally
cardboard) albums and other odd sized stuff is much more of a problem. some
of them i can fit in comics sleeves, which i then place in a normal plastic
A4 binder sleeve and then insert in the binder. i have also noticed the
'ring damage' problem, particularly for these odd shaped items that i also
used to put in the front of the binder. the binders are stored in the bottom
of a display cabinet where i keep my statues etc.

i also collect comics, which take up a lot more space than cards. i have
installed a compactus in the rumpus room and have some of that space devoted
to my cards 'extras' (eg spares, things i have picked up that i actually
don't collect etc).

i really don't worry about fire etc. i don't know if it's the same
elsewhere, but in australia any collection worth more than $3000 must be
properly valued to be insured. as this is both difficult and expensive, i
haven't bothered to insure my comics, cards etc. a thief would have to know
what they were looking for to get anything valuable, and a fire would have
to pretty much destroy the house - i would then be buying everything from
scratch and, given the difficulty in finding a lot of this stuff in
australia, i would probably focus my collecting better and not really worry
about replacing what i had lost.

jen

Old October 31st 04, 11:45 AM
Paul B.

I generally use 4 'D' ring ringbinders and whatever 9 pocket pages I can get
that fit. I DO have some (not many) 'Official' set binders, but I can't
afford to buy a new one every time there is a new set - besides, I picked up
a load of binders at my local Office World (they were having a clearout sale
just before they became Staples)

'High Value' chases get put in soft sleeves before being put into the
pockets (except for some of the memorabilia cards which only just fit into
the pockets, let alone a sleeve!)
Au Res.,
Paul (Just off tot he Basildon SciFi show!)

--
http://www.efbenson.co.uk/
http://www.paulbines.co.uk

Old November 1st 04, 05:28 AM
kevin le pore

i use binders with 9 pocket pages
with 1 pocket pages in between with a mylar board to keep the pages firm
, mostly for promo cards , and misc stuff..stickers , Etc..
I lik to replace any pages that get yellow or brittle ,

for sets i like using the clear plastic boxes
they hold up well and don't cost much..
for singles i use 2500 count boxes

for inserts and higher end cards , they all get toploaders , the
costumes , sketches & autos all get screwdowns and sorted into 2500
count boxes

I've also got around a dozen Rubbermaid Totes for carrying stuff to
shows , and for storage around the house

"Also for Fire Safety , an old refrigrator or upright freezer works real
good in place of a gun safe"

Kevin

Kevin C. LePore
12 Sebastion Drive
Rochester , New York
U.S.A. 14625

http://community.webtv.net/kevinlepo...insComicsCards

http://community.webtv.net/kevinlepore/KevinscardList

Old November 1st 04, 01:35 PM
Lynne Stewart

Interesting, I didn't know fridges were fireseafe
My coca-cola stash is safe

Old November 2nd 04, 04:19 AM
BH

Hi Lynne,

I store my cards in a variety of ways. Most all my commons get stored
in 5,000 count boxes. Complete sets get stored in plastic boxes (at
least all the ones that I am keeping, the rest also get stored in
boxes). Chase are split: More common chase get stored in plastic pages
in binders. More rare chase get stored in top loaders. Then all of
them are stored in a metal storage locker in my garage. Its cool in
their all year long and I don't have to worry about sun damage. The
only thing I have found that was bad for cards was handling them. I try
to do as little as possible of that.

Barry