Card storage

Old November 2nd 04, 02:12 PM
Lynne Stewart

Funny thing is, this never touch our cards mentality (which I have as well,
by the way)
will likely keep our cards from being all that valuable in the future The
stuff from a few decades ago are rarer cause they were stored in rubber
bands, in attics, on biles, used in notebooks....!!!

"BH" wrote in message
news1Dhd.4554$RA4.1074@trnddc06...
Hi Lynne,

I store my cards in a variety of ways. Most all my commons get stored in
5,000 count boxes. Complete sets get stored in plastic boxes (at least
all the ones that I am keeping, the rest also get stored in boxes). Chase
are split: More common chase get stored in plastic pages in binders.
More rare chase get stored in top loaders. Then all of them are stored in
a metal storage locker in my garage. Its cool in their all year long and
I don't have to worry about sun damage. The only thing I have found that
was bad for cards was handling them. I try to do as little as possible of
that.

Barry

Lynne Stewart wrote:

How does everyone keep their cards safe?
Do you consider the lifespan of pages to be an issue? I swapped out all my
pages about 5 years or so aga as I was worried about the quality. Wonder
if I should swap out again soemtime so they don't cause age issues.
Anyone lose a good card to sun fading?
Anyone find something that was BAD for cards (I lost cards to 3-ring
binder dents)?
Do you like cards in binders or protected in toploaders? or Snapdowns?
Which binder gets grabbed in a fire?

Old November 2nd 04, 10:41 PM

Ahh, but there's value, then there's value L.

I figure I'll enjoy mine for the next 20 years in the nice condition
they're in
(not counting the years I've already been collecting as an 'adult').

Never got 20 years worth of enjoyment out of the ones I collected as a
kid..'outgrew' 'em, and my mother threw them out at some point. So, say
what...8-10 years worth out of those, maybe.

Figure I'll be ahead of the game in 'value' :+)

Byrna

Old November 3rd 04, 01:04 AM
Mark H. Kusz

I try to keep most cards in sheets & binders... it's probably the most
economical. Cards that like to curl, I put into soft sleeves and then into a
semi-rigid top load. When possible, I try to keep the card binder in plastic
storage cases to prevent water damage if my basement were to ever flood.

I have had two bad experiences with storing cards. I had a hologram that
deteriorated in a snap card holder. I also had cards deteriorate in plastic
sheets. The sheets were built into the "offical binder" that came with the
cards. If you store cards in plastic, you need to make sure that they are
PVC-free.

Mark

Old November 4th 04, 01:40 PM
Lynne Stewart

If I were rich (!!!!), I would love to buy a bookcase that displays all
binders lying on their sides, each one in it's own little niche. Then glass
doors to shut it off to dust....