1944s dime date doubled?

Old March 25th 06, 07:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default 1944s dime date doubled?

Yeah, here I am again, guys.

Today's 2 hours on the microscope looking over more Mercs yielded a
surprise, one that I haven't found covered in any books: a 1944s with
full date doubled. While the doubling is obvious under 50x, I'm not
sure it's going to be obvious under 10x.

Anyone else heard of a full date doubled-die 1944s?

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Old March 25th 06, 07:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:

Yeah, here I am again, guys.

Today's 2 hours on the microscope looking over more Mercs yielded a
surprise, one that I haven't found covered in any books: a 1944s with
full date doubled. While the doubling is obvious under 50x, I'm not
sure it's going to be obvious under 10x.

Anyone else heard of a full date doubled-die 1944s?

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Before you start declaring any slight doubling you see at 50X
magnificatiom to be a "doubled die", perhaps you should take a real
good look at Ken Potter's web page titled "Doubling: Worthless Or
Valuable? A Collectors Guide"

http://koinpro.tripod.com/Articles/O...OfDoubling.htm

Bookmark it and refer to it often.

Old March 25th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

While not exact, the closest of the doubled varieties listed in Ken
Potter's sit is a "Hub Doubling". My coin is different. All 4 numerals
in the date are doubled, all on the same side. Looking at other parts
of the coin under 50x, I didn't see any other apparent doubling in
effect.

My question remains: has anyone else heard of a 4-numeral doubled date
in an 1944s dime?

I recognize I should probably just take an digital photo of the coin
and post it somewhere. Never done that before. Suggestions on where to
post digpic?

Daniel B. Wheeler

Old March 25th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Thanks for the suggestion, Eric. I think it is time to start doing a
little camera work.

The coins is _not_ in good shape. I probably found it several years ago
with the metal detector, and there are scratches/gouges where the probe
went. But the date is unaffected, at least by the probe.

Daniel B. Wheeler

Old March 25th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote in message
oups.com...
Suggestions on where to post digpic?

alt.binaries.pictures.numismatic

Old March 25th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Per Eric's suggestion, have taken digital pic of 1944s dime (date
doubling) for your perusal.G

Look at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/548897089iecZRy

Double-click the image for a larger image.

Daniel B. Wheeler

Old March 26th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Thanks for the link, Phil. There are other sites as well that show the same
effect and we have visited this topic on several occasions. Usually Flat
Field Doubling (FFD) or Machine Damage Doubling (MDD) can be easily seen
under 8X and there are some extreme examples available. Wexler and Flynn
explain the various types of true Hub Doubled dies in their book "Treasure
Hunting Mercury Dimes" that apply to all types of Hubs, not just Mercs. It
is a very comprehensive discussion.
It is interesting to note that MMD's are generally avoided by experienced
collectors but sometimes get quite a premium on eBay. I keep a couple
examples around as reference but won't pay anything extra for one. They are
pretty easy to find if you look. I guess the bottom line is collect what
you like.
Cheers!
Wolf-==-