I can't afford to collect anymore.... how about you?

Old November 2nd 10, 06:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
R. Hall

Default I can't afford to collect anymore.... how about you?

I've been very busy this year and hadn't purchased any Mint products yet.
After looking at the cost for One Mint Set, One Proof Set, and One Silver
Proof set to add to my collection(s), ($125.00) I've decided to quit
collecting. I used to have fun collecting coins but with the cost of just
adding the yearly coins needed for my collections it's just not affordable
anymore. I'm sure many collectors drop $1000's of Dollars into their
collections each year so $125 isn't much for them, but for us "Little Guys"
it's just too much. Any one know of a honest Dealer in the
Michigan/Ohio/Indiana area?

Old November 2nd 10, 12:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Nov 2, 1:29*am, "R. Hall" wrote:
I've been very busy this year and hadn't purchased any Mint products yet.
After looking at the cost for One Mint Set, One Proof Set, and One Silver
Proof set to add to my collection(s), ($125.00) I've decided to quit
collecting. *I used to have fun collecting coins but with the cost of just
adding the yearly coins needed for my collections it's just not affordable
anymore. *I'm sure many collectors drop $1000's of Dollars into their
collections each year so $125 isn't much for them, but for us "Little Guys"
it's just too much. *Any one know of a honest Dealer in the
Michigan/Ohio/Indiana area?

I can't help you on the dealer question, but I can answer your subject
question. And it is... I CAN afford to continue to collect. I've
recently decided to get back to my collecting roots. As I did as a
young 'un about mumble-mumble-mumble years ago, I'm collecting the
cents I find in the street and sidewalks. Am I cataloging them? No,
I'm encouraging my 6 y/o YN daughter by putting them into her bank.

Jerry
Don't bitch; VOTE!
Old November 3rd 10, 03:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
JHL

come to the MSNS (michigan state) convention and relight the passion.
who says buying mint sets is the only way to go? www.michigancoinclub.org

Old November 3rd 10, 03:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message JHL wrote:

come to the MSNS (michigan state) convention and relight the passion.
who says buying mint sets is the only way to go? www.michigancoinclub.org

You do not need to sell unless you really want to.

In addition, you can acquire an interesting collection by
lowering your standards to just VF or EF condition, or
try world coins from dealers' junk boxes.

I have had great fun just trying to get all the States
quarters FROM CIRCULATION! Mind you, I failed to get
them all in the three weeks I was over there.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old November 6th 10, 04:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Provasek

I haven't ordered any of the current US mint junk in years. $100 can
buy a lot more interesting variety of coins at almost any shop or show.
Old November 6th 10, 09:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
celtex

"R. Hall" wrote in message
I've been very busy this year and hadn't purchased any Mint products yet.
After looking at the cost for One Mint Set, One Proof Set, and One Silver
Proof set to add to my collection(s), ($125.00) I've decided to quit
collecting. I used to have fun collecting coins but with the cost of just
adding the yearly coins needed for my collections it's just not affordable
anymore. I'm sure many collectors drop $1000's of Dollars into their
collections each year so $125 isn't much for them, but for us "Little
Guys" it's just too much. Any one know of a honest Dealer in the
Michigan/Ohio/Indiana area?

I am a metal detectorist and that is how I am building my modest collection.
Most in the about good to good being they were in circulation and in the
ground so long. Not valuable but fun and you never know...

Old November 7th 10, 01:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bremick

"celtex" wrote in message

"R. Hall" wrote in message
I've been very busy this year and hadn't purchased any Mint products yet.
After looking at the cost for One Mint Set, One Proof Set, and One Silver
Proof set to add to my collection(s), ($125.00) I've decided to quit
collecting. I used to have fun collecting coins but with the cost of
just adding the yearly coins needed for my collections it's just not
affordable anymore. I'm sure many collectors drop $1000's of Dollars
into their collections each year so $125 isn't much for them, but for us
"Little Guys" it's just too much. Any one know of a honest Dealer in the
Michigan/Ohio/Indiana area?

I am a metal detectorist and that is how I am building my modest
collection. Most in the about good to good being they were in circulation
and in the ground so long. Not valuable but fun and you never know...

And the price is right, too, assuming you didn't buy a high end device just
for coin searching.

Old November 7th 10, 07:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

On 11/2/2010 1:29 AM, R. Hall wrote:
I've been very busy this year and hadn't purchased any Mint products
yet. After looking at the cost for One Mint Set, One Proof Set, and One
Silver Proof set to add to my collection(s), ($125.00) I've decided to

As others have pointed out, there are other choices between U.S. Mint
proof sets that you find too expensive and quitting collecting. Along
with collecting from pocket change -- relatively recent coins -- you can
go in the opposite direction and collect the oldest coins -- ancient
coins -- very inexpensively. Fourth century AD Roman bronzes (not the
oldest of ancients, but very old nonetheless) in decent shape can be had
for $10 each, or less, and there are lots of emperors and varieties to
explore, and lots of fun things to learn about the relevant history. Or
you can go wide, collecting current world coins, with lots of collectors
around the world looking to trade currently circulating coins with other
collectors, and with other ways as well to obtain such material cheaply.
Lots of fun things to learn here too, about other countries.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom