Will First Spouse gold retain its value???

Old October 7th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

Default Will First Spouse gold retain its value???

Will 20,000 proofs and 20,000 BUs of each type satisfy the needs of
the collecting community?
When gold goes back down below $500/oz again in a year or two, will
that depress prices?
I see slabbed MS/PR70 examples selling for around $600 on eBay (not a
bad quick profit).
So my question is: whither 1st Spouse values???

Old October 13th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Slime Lowlife

Your guess is as good as anyone else's. The Mint certainly thought
that the 40,000-mintage (divided between uncs & proofs) was appropriate
for the US market, & they're certainly in line with other commems & the
1/2oz bullion pieces. But sometimes certain coins just catch our fancy
& the demand takes off.

At least part of what we're seeing now is the initial enthusiasm for
the Presibux series; it's still an open question if this interest will
be sustained over the 10-12 years of the program. There have been
quite a few coins & series that saw great initial enthusiasm (& prices)
that faded away over time.

Back in 1986 the Statue of Liberty gold piece sold like hotcakes, & for
a couple of years had a hefty price. But then it gradually declined
during the 1990s till it was largely a bullion piece. I kind of doubt
that the First Spouse coins will fall that far (unless bullion *really*
tanks), but I think that in 4-5 years, after we reach Mrs. Garfield or
so, there'll be far fewer collectors trying to keep up with the series.
Prices for the earlier Spouses will probably drift downwards till they
approximate the issue price, or bullion value (whichever is greater).

Bullion prices will probably be a big factor in the First Spouse series
of coins. Currently they seem to be going for a little less than twice
bullion; this is a good markup. But if gold goes to $1,000, & these
coins stay at $600, then we've still seen a drop in collector interest.
It's my opinion that gold is much more likely to hit $1,000/oz than
$500 in the next few years, so the downside risk of these things isn't
as great as it could be.

Again, this is all just my opinion, but do remember that despite all
the speculative hoopla & wild bullion booms we've seen, the numismatic
hobby is best seen as a hobby, & not an investment program or scheme.
Sure, there's a good chance that a First Spouse coin will go for $1,000
in a few years, but that would be mostly because of the gold it's made
of-- not because there's tremendous collector demand.