Sometimes I just have to shake my head

Old February 21st 08, 11:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default Sometimes I just have to shake my head

I have commented on this phenomenon before, as it applied to coin shipments
that have gone astray on their way to me. I received a letter (not
coin-related, thank goodness!), originally sent from a post office 15 miles
away, on 10-17-07, but which arrived only today, stamped with an explanation
in bright red of where it has been all this time:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...sedlyEmpty.jpg

I'm trying to understand how this can happen, but fail every time I try.
This was not mailed in an outdoor mailbox, or even in a slot somewhere, but
carried to the post office in a company's mail crate. Doesn't anyone ever
look at this "equipment" to verify that it is indeed empty? I mean, for a
period of over four months it escaped detection?

James

Old February 21st 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave[_8_]

Mr. Jaggers wrote:
I have commented on this phenomenon before, as it applied to coin shipments
that have gone astray on their way to me. I received a letter (not
coin-related, thank goodness!), originally sent from a post office 15 miles
away, on 10-17-07, but which arrived only today, stamped with an explanation
in bright red of where it has been all this time:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...sedlyEmpty.jpg

I'm trying to understand how this can happen, but fail every time I try.
This was not mailed in an outdoor mailbox, or even in a slot somewhere, but
carried to the post office in a company's mail crate. Doesn't anyone ever
look at this "equipment" to verify that it is indeed empty? I mean, for a
period of over four months it escaped detection?

James

or that stamp was the closest one at hand and had nothing to do with the
real cause

How about:

"Mail found on supposedly clean floor"

/dave a
Old February 22nd 08, 06:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Feb 21, 11:36*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com
wrote:
I have commented on this phenomenon before, as it applied to coin shipments
that have gone astray on their way to me. *I received a letter (not
coin-related, thank goodness!), originally sent from a post office 15 miles
away, on 10-17-07, but which arrived only today, stamped with an explanation
in bright red of where it has been all this time:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...sedlyEmpty.jpg

I'm trying to understand how this can happen, but fail every time I try.
This was not mailed in an outdoor mailbox, or even in a slot somewhere, but
carried to the post office in a company's mail crate. *Doesn't anyone ever
look at this "equipment" to verify that it is indeed empty? *I mean, for a
period of over four months it escaped detection?

James

Your're lucky to live in the USA where the post office is so much
better!
Old February 22nd 08, 07:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:
[...]

----------------------------------

I've always considered myself lucky to live in the USA regardless. That
doesn't mean that I'm willing to give incompetence a pass, though.

James

Old February 23rd 08, 10:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Amistad

"Mr. Jaggers" pointed us to an interesting postal stamp:
I have commented on this phenomenon before, as it applied to coin shipments
that have gone astray on their way to me. I received a letter (not
coin-related, thank goodness!), originally sent from a post office 15 miles
away, on 10-17-07, but which arrived only today, stamped with an
explanation in bright red of where it has been all this time:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...sedlyEmpty.jpg

Sounds like the equipment is not the only thing there that's empty. Ergo,
the head of a nearby USPS employee might also fit that description. :-)

Amistad
'scratching my pate in Texas'

Old February 24th 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
JHL

i was once told i could not insure a package because it had value, and
therefore what would happen if they (the po) lost it?

Old February 24th 08, 04:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Provasek

On Feb 21, 4:36*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

I'm trying to understand how this can happen, but fail every time I try.
This was not mailed in an outdoor mailbox, or even in a slot somewhere, but
carried to the post office in a company's mail crate. *Doesn't anyone ever
look at this "equipment" to verify that it is indeed empty? *I mean, for a
period of over four months it escaped detection?

Could have gotten stuck in a mail bin or bag. Think of a forgotten
item in a shopping
basket that happened to be the first basket in the storage area, with
100 other carts behind it.
It might not be found until the next time the grocery store had a full
crowd using every shopping
cart.

Old February 24th 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"JHL" wrote in message
i was once told i could not insure a package because it had value, and
therefore what would happen if they (the po) lost it?

-------------------

Yeah, a couple of years back there was such a buzz going around among the
USPS, based on something a functionary in St. Louis included in a newsletter
to window clerks. I finally managed to steer the clerks in my town to the
truth, but just a couple months ago I tried to send a coin by insured mail
from a neighboring town, and the clerk gave me quite the ration until I
insisted that it was OK.

James

Old February 24th 08, 05:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Frank Provasek" wrote in message
On Feb 21, 4:36 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

I'm trying to understand how this can happen, but fail every time I try.
This was not mailed in an outdoor mailbox, or even in a slot somewhere,
but
carried to the post office in a company's mail crate. Doesn't anyone ever
look at this "equipment" to verify that it is indeed empty? I mean, for a
period of over four months it escaped detection?

Could have gotten stuck in a mail bin or bag. Think of a forgotten
item in a shopping
basket that happened to be the first basket in the storage area, with
100 other carts behind it.
It might not be found until the next time the grocery store had a full
crowd using every shopping
cart.

---------------------------------

Sounds possible, but four months to get first class mail sent in October,
before "all the carts" were out? And what were "all the carts" doing out
again during the dreary month of February? Seems to me that "all the carts"
would have been out during the Holidays, and the letter discovered at that
time.

James

Old February 26th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
George D[_4_]

Mr. Jaggers wrote:
I have commented on this phenomenon before, as it applied to coin shipments
that have gone astray on their way to me. I received a letter (not
coin-related, thank goodness!), originally sent from a post office 15 miles
away, on 10-17-07, but which arrived only today, stamped with an explanation
in bright red of where it has been all this time:

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...sedlyEmpty.jpg

I'm trying to understand how this can happen, but fail every time I try.
This was not mailed in an outdoor mailbox, or even in a slot somewhere, but
carried to the post office in a company's mail crate. Doesn't anyone ever
look at this "equipment" to verify that it is indeed empty? I mean, for a
period of over four months it escaped detection?

James

I was in the mailing business for most of my life and have found that mail you speak of.

Mail is transported from place to place in bags, trays, boxes, and tubs. when the postal people empty this "equipment" sometimes things just don't
fall out. They get in a hurry and don't look in the bottom of the bag. The old gray plastic trays had a space of about 1" between the bottom of one
tray and the top of the bottom of the tray under it. a nice hiddy hole for mail that was in trays that were not full.

One May I found one of these trays that never got to the canceling machine from the return addresses I could tell they were mailed in Albuquerque, I
live in Phoenix. Guess what tax returns. I requested that the mail get the proper endorsement but who knows.

Yes it does happen and often enough that the stamps are used every day in a large post office.

George

--
The real cause of crime is not a poverty of resources but a poverty of values.

http://www.johnlocke.org/agenda2004/crimepunisment.htm