First African-American

Old February 24th 09, 08:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

Default First African-American

"Frank" wrote in message
On Feb 24, 8:48 am, Johnny Doe wrote:

How about George Washington Carver and Booker T. Washington? At least
they were on REAL coins, not some NCLT junk.

Those were also NCLT (Non circulating legal tender)

Many found their way into circulation though, as did many other
commemorative coins.
Looks like Provasuck is wrong (as usual!)

Old February 24th 09, 10:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Marotta

-- The Saint Gaudens $20, of course.--
-- Hettie Anderson --
http://www.sgnhs.org/Augustus%20SGau...els/Hettie.htm

When I saw the news this morning, I knew that there would be a slew of
RCC posts.

Not following modern commems, I missed Crispus Attucks, myself, but
did tally the BTW and GWC commems as well as the Hard Times Tokens.
Not government issues, of course, the HTTs -- am I not a Man and a
Brother; am I not a Woman and a Sister -- make the point. You could
also cite a slew of other private money, banknotes from the 1830-1860
era that depict African Americans.

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"No J. Edgar Hoover coins, darn it."
Old February 24th 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_7_]

"RWF" wrote in message

"Frank" wrote in message
On Feb 24, 8:48 am, Johnny Doe wrote:

How about George Washington Carver and Booker T. Washington? At least
they were on REAL coins, not some NCLT junk.

Those were also NCLT (Non circulating legal tender)

Many found their way into circulation though, as did many other
commemorative coins.

They are still NCLT.

Looks like Provasuck is wrong (as usual!)

Looks like you are projecting your failures on others (as usual).

Old February 24th 09, 11:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Terry

"Mike Marotta" wrote in message
-- The Saint Gaudens $20, of course.--
-- Hettie Anderson --
http://www.sgnhs.org/Augustus%20SGau...els/Hettie.htm

When I saw the news this morning, I knew that there would be a slew of
RCC posts.

Not following modern commems, I missed Crispus Attucks, myself, but
did tally the BTW and GWC commems as well as the Hard Times Tokens.
Not government issues, of course, the HTTs -- am I not a Man and a
Brother; am I not a Woman and a Sister -- make the point. You could
also cite a slew of other private money, banknotes from the 1830-1860
era that depict African Americans.

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"No J. Edgar Hoover coins, darn it."

The article has been rewritten !!!!! Now with caveats.

Old February 25th 09, 03:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Yep...Last night NBC news perpetuated the error, also stating that the
DC quarter is the first US coin depicting an African-American.
Old February 25th 09, 05:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Jud" wrote in message
Yep...Last night NBC news perpetuated the error, also stating that the
DC quarter is the first US coin depicting an African-American.

At least Katie on CBS did mention "circulating". Maybe her people did some
actual research.