See why the MSM should be questioned?

Old February 24th 09, 11:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default See why the MSM should be questioned?

This is an example of why the MSM (main stream media) should be
questioned in all time and all places.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/24/duk...oin/index.html

Whenever they write or produce a story about something that one really
knows about, one finds that the story is always full of errors and/or
distortions.

oly

Old February 24th 09, 11:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

oly wrote:
This is an example of why the MSM (main stream media) should be
questioned in all time and all places.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/24/duk...oin/index.html

Whenever they write or produce a story about something that one really
knows about, one finds that the story is always full of errors and/or
distortions.

Provided that your observation is not just another iteration of the tiresome
rightwing bellyache about "liberal" media and leftwing revisionist history,
I would agree. It seems that as the necessity to fill up time and column
inches expands, the overall quality deteriorates.

James

Old February 24th 09, 12:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

oly wrote:
This is an example of why the MSM (main stream media) should be
questioned in all time and all places.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/24/duk...oin/index.html

Whenever they write or produce a story about something that one
really
knows about, one finds that the story is always full of errors and/or
distortions.

Provided that your observation is not just another iteration of the
tiresome rightwing bellyache about "liberal" media and leftwing
revisionist history, I would agree. It seems that as the necessity to
fill up time and column inches expands, the overall quality
deteriorates.

I question the selection of Duke Ellington anyway.
Yes, he was a great musician and composer but he was also a racist who
refused to hire white musicians for his band until the early 1950s when
he hired Louie Belson as a drummer. Louie was married to Pearl Bailey at
the time.

Old February 24th 09, 01:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 24, 6:43*am, "RWF" wrote:

oly wrote:
[...]

the time.- Hide quoted text -

Whenever one is in the District (I spent three weeks there last
March), one is struck by the reverse racism. I have two cousins
living there for over a decade now, and they can regale you with
stories of the delusional diversities of the District.

The fact that they had to place Ellington's name on the coin suggests
how little he is known to the general public today. Of course, coins
can be used to educate, but the question is what subjects will be
chosen.

oly

Old February 24th 09, 01:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"oly" wrote in message
On Feb 24, 6:43 am, "RWF" wrote:

oly wrote:
[...]

_______________

There were few other options other than the tired old national monuments.
As soon as Marion Barry dies, I'm sure they'll want to submit a do-over for
their quarter. I've lived in the DC suburbs for over 40 years and had
worked in the city for the first 25. I would have a hard time coming up
with anything better than Ellington, although I never would have thought of
him in the first place. Red Auerbach, maybe, and you wouldn't even need his
name on the coin-- just that mug and the victory cigar.

Old February 24th 09, 01:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

oly wrote:
On Feb 24, 6:43 am, "RWF" wrote:

oly wrote:
[...]

Pearl Bailey at the time.- Hide quoted text -

Whenever one is in the District (I spent three weeks there last
March), one is struck by the reverse racism. I have two cousins
living there for over a decade now, and they can regale you with
stories of the delusional diversities of the District.

The fact that they had to place Ellington's name on the coin suggests
how little he is known to the general public today. Of course, coins
can be used to educate, but the question is what subjects will be
chosen.

The Duke's music is delightful both to listen to and to play, but most music
lovers of today know him only by ear, not by eyesight, whence the necessity
of an ID on the coin. That would be true of most any pre-rock composer,
bandleader, or musician. Almost everyone recognizes The Stars and Stripes
Forever when they hear it, but I doubt that one in twenty-five would even
recognize John Philip Sousa, arguably the premier American musical patriot.

James the Saxophonist

Old February 24th 09, 01:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

"oly" wrote in message
Whenever one is in the District (I spent three weeks there last March),
one is struck by the reverse racism. I have two cousins living there
for over a decade now, and they can regale you with stories of the
delusional diversities of the District.

So-called "reverse racism" is rampant throughout the nation.
Witness the calls for "diversity" in our colleges and universities yet
no one is calling for diversity in the so-called "black" colleges like
Grambling, etc.
And how about pro basketball teams which are predominately black,
where's the outcry for the poor oppressed white players?
The black population of the USA seems to want it both ways.
But what can you expect when they have "leaders" like Al Sharpton and
Jesse "Hymie Town" Jackson?

Old February 24th 09, 01:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank[_3_]

On Feb 24, 5:13*am, oly wrote:
This is an example of why the MSM (main stream media) should be
questioned in all time and all places.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/24/duk...oin/index.html

Whenever they write or produce a story about something that one really
knows about, one finds that the story is always full of errors and/or
distortions.

oly

I see no errors other than failing to mention "first African American
on a CIRCULATING coin", as
Jackie Robinson, Booker T. Washington, and George Carver have been so
honored on commemoratives.

Residents of the District have no vote on important issues such as
health care, education, Social Security,
environmental protection, crime control, public safety, foreign
policy, or their children and spouses
being sent to war.

--
RARE COIN AUCTIONS NO RESERVES www.frankcoins.com
http://myworld.ebay.com/frankcoins Texas Auction License

Old February 24th 09, 02:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Frank wrote:
On Feb 24, 5:13 am, oly wrote:
This is an example of why the MSM (main stream media) should be
questioned in all time and all places.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/24/duk...oin/index.html

Whenever they write or produce a story about something that one
really knows about, one finds that the story is always full of
errors and/or distortions.

oly

I see no errors other than failing to mention "first African American
on a CIRCULATING coin", as
Jackie Robinson, Booker T. Washington, and George Carver have been so
honored on commemoratives.

Either the writer was entirely ignorant of that fact, or knew that including
that fact would negate the entire purpose of the article in the first place.

Residents of the District have no vote on important issues such as
health care, education, Social Security,
environmental protection, crime control, public safety, foreign
policy, or their children and spouses
being sent to war.

All true, but hardly germane to the issue.

James

Old February 24th 09, 02:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank[_3_]

On Feb 24, 6:43*am, "RWF" wrote:

I question the selection of Duke Ellington anyway.

The residents of DC voted on it. Unless you have moved, you still
live in Nassau County, NY.

Yes, he was a great musician and composer but he was also a racist who
refused to hire white musicians for his band until the early 1950s

Perhaps a practical matter that since before 1955 blacks and whites
were kept separate
on trains, and generally could not stay at the same hotels,

http://books.google.com/books?id=kuiFWCbGLqYC&pg=PA170