Auction Bidding Help

Old December 12th 04, 11:38 AM
f b

Default Auction Bidding Help

I have started to buy on Ebay. Sometimes I just bid without seeing who
else is bidding. If the high bidder is a name I know from here, I resist
bidding. I don't think I have bid on any, knowing that an RCCer is
bidding on them.
I don't want anyone to think I am a shill, nor do I want to take
something from someone who REALLY wants it. I know there will be another
coming along soon, I am in no hurry.
What should I do?
Doris
it is fun however. :-))))

~ Farmers Fighting For Farmers ~
http://www.geocities.com/ampa_ltd/

Old December 12th 04, 12:17 PM
Larry Louks

"f b" asked:
What should I do?

I have had a few times where I recognized the top bidder at the time as
being a member of RCC. Like you, I have then hesitated to bid against him.
But the more I've pondered on it, I've since thought about the true nature
of an auction. It all depends on how badly you want an item, no matter who
you are bidding against.

Since I have been hanging out here in RCC, I can recall one instance (a very
special instance) in which RCC members were asked here in the group not to
bid on a certain coin. But other than that, it's "dog eat dog." So enjoy
your bidding, Doris!

Larry
'a man of many bids, and few wins'

Old December 12th 04, 12:34 PM
George D

f b wrote:
I have started to buy on Ebay. Sometimes I just bid without seeing who
else is bidding. If the high bidder is a name I know from here, I resist
bidding. I don't think I have bid on any, knowing that an RCCer is
bidding on them.
I don't want anyone to think I am a shill, nor do I want to take
something from someone who REALLY wants it. I know there will be another
coming along soon, I am in no hurry.
What should I do?
Doris
it is fun however. :-))))

~ Farmers Fighting For Farmers ~
http://www.geocities.com/ampa_ltd/

Doris IMHO you should bid on the coin if it is one you really want regardless of who else
is bidding on it. If it is a common coin that is available often than maybe you would
refrain from bidding.

It is somewhat unfair to the seller to not bid because someone else is bidding, in fact I
think that in some cases it is illegal to not bid if there is a agreement between two
people to not bid each other up.

--
George D
Phoenix, AZ

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.

Old December 12th 04, 12:51 PM
Dale Hallmark

"George D" wrote in message
f b wrote:
[...]

I think you should ignore the identity of the other bidders except to look
at some of their past auctions to learn how they bid on items.

I have hesitated to bid against a rccer in the past but did anyway.
Anyone bidding against me........., well good luck and I mean that sincerely,
however I am a pretty aggressive bidder in my niche area of items :-)

Dale

Old December 12th 04, 01:43 PM
Jerry Dennis

It is fun, and like you, I don't normally bid against a fellow RCC-er.

One thing that really gets to me is when there are a lot of a particular coin,
I bid one, and somebody comes long and outbids me when there are others
available (same date, mm, conditon, slab, etc.). So I bid on another one and
lose to someone else. Eventually I quit bidding all together for a while.

I was recently outbid on Jason's NGC-65 1970-D Kennedy. I max-ed out at $62
(for a $40 coin!) to another bidder who grabbed it at $63. Bad for me, great
for Jason. Well, like you said, there are others just down the road. Patience
and all.

Jerry

Old December 12th 04, 03:13 PM
J A M

f b wrote:

I have started to buy on Ebay. Sometimes I just bid without seeing who
else is bidding. If the high bidder is a name I know from here, I resist
bidding. I don't think I have bid on any, knowing that an RCCer is
bidding on them.
I don't want anyone to think I am a shill, nor do I want to take
something from someone who REALLY wants it. I know there will be another
coming along soon, I am in no hurry.
What should I do?
Doris
it is fun however. :-))))

~ Farmers Fighting For Farmers ~
http://www.geocities.com/ampa_ltd/

I think you should seek professional help for your offend-a-phobia!

Lighten up, and bid whatever you are willing to pay, no one will take offense.

JAM
Old December 12th 04, 03:14 PM
J A M

Larry Louks wrote:

Since I have been hanging out here in RCC, I can recall one instance (a very
special instance) in which RCC members were asked here in the group not to
bid on a certain coin.

Larry
'a man of many bids, and few wins'

This sounds almost like it's against the rules.

JAM
Old December 12th 04, 03:42 PM
Ian

f b wrote:
I have started to buy on Ebay. Sometimes I just bid without seeing who
else is bidding. If the high bidder is a name I know from here, I resist
bidding. I don't think I have bid on any, knowing that an RCCer is
bidding on them.
I don't want anyone to think I am a shill, nor do I want to take
something from someone who REALLY wants it. I know there will be another
coming along soon, I am in no hurry.
What should I do?
Doris
it is fun however. :-))))

~ Farmers Fighting For Farmers ~
http://www.geocities.com/ampa_ltd/

You concern yourself in relation to behaving `ethically' towards all us
curmudgeons who inhabit r.c.c ?

:-)

Doris my dear.......go4it! No self respecting coin addict is going to
withold themselves from bidding in an open auction for a coin they want.
Why should you ;-)

Ian
Old December 12th 04, 04:45 PM
linxlvr

f b wrote:
I have started to buy on Ebay. Sometimes I just bid without seeing

who
else is bidding. If the high bidder is a name I know from here, I

resist
bidding. I don't think I have bid on any, knowing that an RCCer is
bidding on them.
I don't want anyone to think I am a shill, nor do I want to take
something from someone who REALLY wants it. I know there will be

another
coming along soon, I am in no hurry.
What should I do?
Doris
it is fun however. :-))))

~ Farmers Fighting For Farmers ~
http://www.geocities.com/ampa_ltd/

You should definetly bid. That is what an auction is. As long as you
honestly want the coin even at your max bid, then there is nothing
wrong. If you don't bid on something you are honestly interested in you
are cheating someone... the seller.

If a coin is nice enough to warrant 60.00 from you, and lets say 50
from fellow_RCCer, but bid is only at 20, and say it goes at 20, whos
cheated there?

1)YOU: you did not get a coin that seemingly was more desireable to you
than fellow_RCCer

2)SELLER: A coin so desireable as to warrant 60.00 from you only got
him 20.00

--dw