Guy Kraus' Mississippi Obsolete Notes & Scrip

Old December 21st 03, 06:38 PM
Jim

Default Guy Kraus' Mississippi Obsolete Notes & Scrip

Anyone else buy a copy of this earlier this year?

It was a pre-publication venture advertised in late August. Presumably Denlys
and Hugh Schull have some copies for sale.

The author is Kraus (no E) whom I believe is no relation to "the" Krause and
this effort was "I believe" published by SPMC; no publisher was attributed.

My copy arrived a few weeks ago and I just managed to spend some more time with
it. It was presented as a followup to the L. Chandler Leggett, Mississippi
Obsolete Paper Money and Scrip (Krause Publications, 1975) publication.

I've been told this was a result of a nearly 20 year labor of love between the
author and his subject. As a supplement to the Leggett book and Wismer and
Muscalus references, it's a great "spackle" publication in that it fills many
of the blanks left to date. As a compendium publication by itself, very nice.
Not nearly as comprehensive as I would have imagined it to be and with far
fewer photos than any collector would like, still a worthy addition to any
Obsolete library.

If my ship ever does come in and time becomes NO problem, I've always thought
about publishing the ultimate New York reference to Obsolete PM, not so much
scrip, as was recently done by Gordon L. Harris, New York State Scrip & Private
Issues (2001).

Always here for my fellow syngraphist or oenophile.
Old December 22nd 03, 12:09 AM
JSTONE9352

Anyone else buy a copy of this earlier this year?

I got my copy about 2 months or so
ago. Pretty good overall.

I believe the total number printed was
restricted to the amount that was pre-ordered. Dealers such as Shull and
Denly would probably have ordered extra
copies for inventory.