Circulation Question

Old September 9th 03, 12:33 AM
Bill

Default Circulation Question

I've been going around to old houses with my metal detector.I've been
consulting a 1867 map. Maybe you would need a crystal ball to answer
this question but what coins could you expect to find in circulation
during this time period ? Capped bust dimes,Draped Bust dimes,Classic
Head one centers ? Think maybe collectors back then would have had
these coins out of circulation....
Old September 9th 03, 12:58 AM
Ed Hendricks

"Bill" wrote in message
I've been going around to old houses with my metal detector.I've been
consulting a 1867 map. Maybe you would need a crystal ball to answer
this question but what coins could you expect to find in circulation
during this time period ? Capped bust dimes,Draped Bust dimes,Classic
Head one centers ? Think maybe collectors back then would have had
these coins out of circulation....

My guess would be Braided Hair ½ ¢ and 1¢, silver 3¢, Liberty cap and Seated
½ dimes, dimes, quarters and maybe a few halves. Possibly some early 2¢
pieces and a very few Seated dollars. I doubt that there were enough
collectors to make a difference. They don't call this the hobby of kings
for nothing. In those days one almost needed to be a king (in terms of
wealth) to be able to afford to collect as a hobby. And the common person
tended not to lose things as large and as valuable as a dollar coin or even
a half.

--
Ed Hendricks
ANA# R178621

Old September 9th 03, 04:36 PM
Coin Saver

From: billhwye

I've been going around to old houses with my metal detector.I've been

consulting a 1867 map. what coins could you expect to find in circulation
during this time period ?

Keep your eyes peeled for some Civil War Tokens, Two-cent pieces, both silver
and nickel 3¢ pieces, and Shield Nickels; then there's Seated Liberty
Half-Dimes, Dimes, Quarters, Half Dollars, and Dollars.

Think maybe collectors back then would have had these coins out of

circulation
Collecting "back then" was definitely not the hobby it is today.

8-/

Coin Saver