What is the stain on this dime?

Old August 25th 03, 08:56 PM
Barry K

Default What is the stain on this dime?

I'd appreciate comments about the reverse of this dime. It has a dark
stain on it. What do you think it is?
For background, it is in a SEGS slab, and there is a comment about the
stain, which I'll tell you later, not to influence your opinions.
Link he http://w2up.home.mindspring.com/1796-dime.jpg (~61K)
Thanks,
Barry
--
Note - Remove the X from my e-mail address for direct replies
Old August 26th 03, 12:59 AM
Barry K

On 25 Aug 2003 22:23:22 GMT, ospam (Ira Stein) wrote:

Barry Kutner asks:

I'd appreciate comments about the reverse of this dime. It has a dark
stain on it. What do you think it is?
For background, it is in a SEGS slab, and there is a comment about the
stain, which I'll tell you later, not to influence your opinions.
Link he
http://w2up.home.mindspring.com/1796-dime.jpg (~61K)
Thanks,
Barry
--

The coin has the porosity of a buried coin, and then cleaned. So the stain,whch
looks like similar to scorching I've seen on coins from a fire, could have been

I've also seen ink from black marker applied to a dipped or cleaned coin to
simulate toning. The coin has about 10% copper in its composition, and copper
will darken from burial.

So, what did Larry Briggs say?

Ira Stein

Larry Briggs said:
VF-20 obverse/reverse solder - which mystifies me.
Where's solder on the front? The die breakat S-1? That's a classic
JR-1.
He thinks that's solder on the back? It's perfectly flat.

Ira - you think this coin can be NCSed?
Barry
--
Note - Remove the X from my e-mail address for direct replies

1958 d Roosevelt dime Fred Coins 6 August 13th 03 10:54 PM
1935W Liberty Dime Question Larry Louks Coins 3 July 28th 03 09:31 PM
Foreign Coins Jason Ditz Coins 1 July 23rd 03 03:25 AM
1985-P FDR dime variant Harri Annala Coins 2 July 11th 03 09:52 PM
FA: 1838 PARTIAL DRAPERY SEATED DIME Barry K Coins 0 July 11th 03 03:02 AM