stain removal tips

Old July 9th 04, 07:42 PM
DaveW

Default stain removal tips

I did a bad thing. I put my Sheaffer Triumph Imperial (by far the best
$12 pen I've ever encountered!) in my shirt pocket with the cap posted.

The ink is from one of the black cartridges that came with the pen. They
are not marked like they were in the old days, so I can't tell if it is
supposed to be permanent or not.

In any event, this is a poly-cotton broadcloth dress shirt, and a rather
new one at that. I rinsed it immediately and kept it wet until I got it
home. I tried Spray 'N Wash along with a goodly scrubbing with liquid
ALL to no avail.

Any suggestions? The shirt is not fit to wear in public as is.

Best Regards,

DAve
--
Fan of the Late, Great Southern Pacific and the Small Old Santa Fe, not
to mention Sheaffer, Parker and Waterman pens.

Old July 9th 04, 09:01 PM
Sonam Dasara

DaveW wrote:
Any suggestions? The shirt is not fit to wear in public as is.

Oxyclean. Sprinkle some directly over the stain.

--
Cordially,

Sonam Dasara

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully
as when they do it from religious conviction."
Blaise Pascal, Pensees, No. 894 (1670)

dovekeeper+at+electric-ink+dot+com

Old July 9th 04, 09:26 PM
Nancy Handy

Sonam Dasara wrote:
Oxyclean. Sprinkle some directly over the stain.

And further more, don't give up after only one try.

A few years ago, one of my kids hid his red Flintstones vitamin in his
shirt pocket to avoid eating it, and it went into the wash with all 3
kids' white shirts - 21 school dress shirts (we have extras so I don't
HAVE to do laundry once a week). I thought they were ALL ruined. I
forget, but it took around 5 - 7 times through the washer -( hot cycle
plus second rinse )- to get every last shirt TOTALLY clean. Be sure you
don't put it in the dryer till after you're done or the stain will set
in.
I can laugh about it now.

Let us know how many times through it takes your shirt to get clean.

Nancy
Old July 9th 04, 09:45 PM
Mark Atwood

DaveW writes:

In any event, this is a poly-cotton broadcloth dress shirt, and a
rather new one at that. I rinsed it immediately and kept it wet until
I got it home. I tried Spray 'N Wash along with a goodly scrubbing
with liquid ALL to no avail.

Any suggestions? The shirt is not fit to wear in public as is.

Dye the shirt black.

--
Mark Atwood | When you do things right, people won't be sure
http://www.pobox.com/~mra | http://www.livejournal.com/users/fallenpegasus
Old July 10th 04, 12:20 AM
DaveW

Mark Atwood wrote:
DaveW writes:

In any event, this is a poly-cotton broadcloth dress shirt, and a
rather new one at that. I rinsed it immediately and kept it wet until
I got it home. I tried Spray 'N Wash along with a goodly scrubbing
with liquid ALL to no avail.

Any suggestions? The shirt is not fit to wear in public as is.

Dye the shirt black.

With the Rolling Stones blaring in the background, naturally. Actually,
I the thought did cross my mind. But is it light green plad, and I just
don't think that will work.

I'll try the Oxiclean. I actually have some, but always forget it is there.

Best Regards,

David

--
Fan of the Late, Great Southern Pacific and the Small Old Santa Fe

Old July 11th 04, 12:20 AM
Penny Howland

Goof Off from Home Depot. I have to use it on my white lab coats all the
time. Does well on FP ink but not on Gel Rollerball Ink which is really
permanent!! More permanent that any FP ink I have found. P

Old July 11th 04, 02:38 AM
Michael

"Penny Howland" wrote in message
Goof Off from Home Depot. I have to use it on my white lab coats all the
time. Does well on FP ink but not on Gel Rollerball Ink which is really
permanent!! More permanent that any FP ink I have found. P

Heloise might suggest hair spray. That stuff sometimes works
really well to dilute ink.

Mike

Old July 11th 04, 05:42 PM
Chuck Swisher

Penny Howland wrote:

"Penny Howland" wrote in message
Goof Off from Home Depot. I have to use it on my white lab coats all the
time. Does well on FP ink but not on Gel Rollerball Ink which is really
permanent!! More permanent that any FP ink I have found. P

Have you tried the waterproof Noodler's fountain pen inks? You might find
them just as permanent (if not more) than the gel refills. If you try some,
don't get the waterproof black, red or blue inks on a cotton shirt ;-)

Best wishes,

Chuck Swisher -

Swisher Pens, Inc. -
www.swisherpens.com

Tele: (757) 471-7445, TF: 1-888-340-7367, Fax: (757) 925-2787

Old July 11th 04, 06:12 PM
Al Wesolowsky

Penny Howland wrote:
:Goof Off from Home Depot. I have to use it on my white lab coats all the
:time. Does well on FP ink but not on Gel Rollerball Ink which is really
ermanent!! More permanent that any FP ink I have found. P

Indeed. A recent AARP (American Association of Retired Persons) magazine
had a piece on different kinds of scams, ranging from bogus home repairs
to check-washing. The latter involves a signed check (for a utility
bill, say) that was filched from your outgoing mail. The scammer will
place cellophane tape over the signature, on the front and back of the
check, and soak the check in acetone/fingernail polish remover.

According to the article, the bath removes all the writing you've done
one the check except for the (authentic) signature. The printed parts of
the check are unaffected. The check is dried, then a new amount with
lots of zeros is written in and the check presented for payment.

The article says that ink from Impact Gel pens are impervious to this
scam and suggests people write all their checks with them. Unless, of
course, they use india ink in Rapidographs.

--
Al B. Wesolowsky o Unlike J. W. Hardin, my foolish moves
o have been many.
Old July 11th 04, 06:38 PM
Mark Atwood

"Chuck Swisher" writes:

Have you tried the waterproof Noodler's fountain pen inks? You might find
them just as permanent (if not more) than the gel refills. If you try some,
don't get the waterproof black, red or blue inks on a cotton shirt ;-)

He has a red?!