"Unc.+" ???

Old April 13th 05, 11:53 AM
note.boy

Default "Unc.+" ???

A new grade for me, what does it mean?

I just love sellers that change ebay's colour scheme to some garish
colour. Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...99380 31&rd=1

Old April 14th 05, 05:52 AM
Ed. Stoebenau

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:53:04 GMT, "note.boy"
wrote:

A new grade for me, what does it mean?

Well as unc is a note that looks like one as it left the press,
and unc+ would apparently be better, it must be a note that looks
like it has not yet made it to the press. Must be a blank sheet
of paper.

--
Ed. Stoebenau
a #143
Old April 14th 05, 12:44 PM
Thomas Chao

We have Gem UNC, Choice UNC, and all the numerals in between such as Choice
UNC 63, Choice UNC 66 etc, so why not UNC+ ???

Old April 14th 05, 01:23 PM
note.boy

If a banknote is uncirculated it's as if it had just come off the
printing press, i.e. perfect, calling a note "unc+" is just plain silly,
or silly hype.

Please don't assign the many unc grades used in the USA for coins to
notes, unc is unc is unc, nothing "better" is required. Billy

Old April 14th 05, 02:11 PM
Thomas Chao

I agree. UNC is the only term I use to describe uncirculated notes. But I
see others use such terms as Gem UNC, Choice UNC. Official CGA grading uses
such terms as Choice UNC 63 through Choice UNC 68.

Old April 14th 05, 03:06 PM
note.boy

I presume that the CGA notes are slabbed, I would rather kiss a plague
carrier than buy a slabbed note. Billy

Old April 14th 05, 03:27 PM
RAV

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:23:11 GMT, "note.boy"
wrote:

If a banknote is uncirculated it's as if it had just come off the
printing press, i.e. perfect, calling a note "unc+" is just plain silly,
or silly hype.

Please don't assign the many unc grades used in the USA for coins to
notes, unc is unc is unc, nothing "better" is required. Billy

Being a relative newbie I don't yet understand the different points of
view. What do the people who DO use terms such as "UNC" and "GEM UNC"
believe the difference is between two notes that they classify in
those terms? Would you (Billy) say that what they're calling "GEM
UNC" is really the only true "UNC", and anything less (including what
they call "UNC") is not "UNC"? Thanks.
Old April 14th 05, 03:33 PM
Brian Blackwell

news:1113488843.f6e44477a0eeec06b5ceba049bf7078f@t eranews...
wrote:

If a banknote is uncirculated it's as if it had just come off the
printing press, i.e. perfect, calling a note "unc+" is just plain silly,
or silly hype.

Please don't assign the many unc grades used in the USA for coins to
notes, unc is unc is unc, nothing "better" is required. Billy

Being a relative newbie I don't yet understand the different points of
view. What do the people who DO use terms such as "UNC" and "GEM UNC"
believe the difference is between two notes that they classify in
those terms? Would you (Billy) say that what they're calling "GEM
UNC" is really the only true "UNC", and anything less (including what
they call "UNC") is not "UNC"? Thanks.

From what I've observed, the qualifiers seem to indicate centering. If the
note is UNC and off-centered to one side or the other then it's called UNC.
If the note has even margins all around then it's called GEM UNC. YMMV

Brian

Old April 14th 05, 03:50 PM
note.boy

A note is either unc or it's not.

A note that's not centred properly is an error note and being an error
makes no difference to the note's grade.

I would avoid buying from anyone that is offering a note graded higher
than unc as unc is perfect, how can a note be better than perfect?

If the guys that print the notes can't print correctly centred notes
they should be sacked.

A Scottish note with a centreing error would be regarded as a rare
error.

It would appear that in the USA a properly centred note is regarded as
some kind of exception. Billy

wrote:

If a banknote is uncirculated it's as if it had just come off the
printing press, i.e. perfect, calling a note "unc+" is just plain silly,
or silly hype.

Please don't assign the many unc grades used in the USA for coins to
notes, unc is unc is unc, nothing "better" is required. Billy

Being a relative newbie I don't yet understand the different points of
view. What do the people who DO use terms such as "UNC" and "GEM UNC"
believe the difference is between two notes that they classify in
those terms? Would you (Billy) say that what they're calling "GEM
UNC" is really the only true "UNC", and anything less (including what
they call "UNC") is not "UNC"? Thanks.

From what I've observed, the qualifiers seem to indicate centering. If the