How'd my dime get like this?

Old August 5th 04, 07:18 PM
Kyle Mutcher

Default How'd my dime get like this?

I have a few examples of Canadian dimes (pure nickle) that have the edge
widened. For what reason I could not guess. The one piece looks amazingly
smooth, and couldn't have been done with a spoon or hammer, it looks like it
was rolled in some sort of press. I will try to post a picture to apbn in
the next few days.

Kyle

"Bruce Hickmott" wrote in message
On 5 Aug 2004 12:04:08 -0500, "Sid H" is alleged to have
written:

"amh" wrote in message
. com...
Hi all,

I'm a coin enthusiast but I have no collection. I get my fix looking
at coin pics on ebay and other places. Saves me money and room in my
appartment.

The other day I was going through my coins, searching for laundry
quarters, when I came across a dime that was kind of odd (to me at
least).

It seems the edge of the dime has been ground smooth and and has been
raised higher above the surface of the coin. I end up with a dime of
slightly smaller circumference and a bit thicker (on the edge) than my
other dimes. I'm guessing some time in its history its edge was rolled
under some pretty good pressure.

My question is who or what would do this, intentionally or otherwise?
I pretty sure it isn't any sort of a rare and valuable mint error
(hope springs eternal?).

I couldn't get a sharp picture with my digital camera so I hope this
description works well enough.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

I have one just as you describe. I took it to a coin dealer about 20

years
ago and he offered my $20 for it, but didn't explain what it was.
I held onto that dime and still have it.
I'll try to post a shot of it with my digital camera tomorrow.

Somebody is making a spoon ring. They're called that because what you do

is take
a spoon and tap on the edge and cause the coin to flatten out. Once the

ring is
the right size, the center is drilled out and you're done. I've only seen

it
done to silver quarters, but it could be done to any coin except maybe the
nickel. Nickel is too hard.

Bruce

FA: Barber Quarter keys, Seated Dimes & Quarter, rare Bust Dime Barry Coins 2 March 16th 04 03:20 AM
1960 D/D dime, was: 1964 D/D dime discovered Edwin Johnston Coins 0 February 24th 04 07:15 PM
Dime experts please F B Coins 6 February 1st 04 11:59 PM
2003 Dime error? Shystev99 Coins 2 November 15th 03 10:03 PM
Foreign Coins Jason Ditz Coins 1 July 23rd 03 03:25 AM