2003 Dime error?

Old November 15th 03, 08:24 PM
Shystev99

Default 2003 Dime error?

Hi all,
I recently bought a 2003 Silver Proof set and recieved it yesterday, As I was
examining it under a magnified light I found it was one of the sets with the
"Vanishing 3" on the Lincoln Cent, As I was looking at that I glanced over at
the Dime in the same lense and noticed the "2" in 2003 also would vanish much
like the penny.
I haven't heard of any errors on the Dime like this but was wondering, Could it
be possible there could be a strike error on the dime as well? (If these are
truly considered strike Errors) The Dime isn't as visible as the penny but to
make sure I wasn't seeing things I grabbed one of my other Silver proof set, A
different year. Just grabbed one at random and held it under the same magnified
light and it didn't do the same thing. The 2 in that other set DID NOT vanish
or dissapear.
I'm trying to figure out if anyone else has heard of or seen this or if it's
just my imagination and eyes playing tricks on me? I did several websearches
and visited several coin sites but nowhere does it mention this possible error.
What are the odds of getting a Silver proof set with a Double Strike Error? And
is it possible for these errors to lie on a single coin or do these types of
errors usually occur in multiple coins at once at the time of minting?

It's not real visible like it jumps out at you but it is there, Whatever it is.
lol
I have the set placed in an envelope now so what I may do is just write on a
sheet of scratch paper making a note of what I THINK I see and put it in the
envelope as well.
Thanks,
Steve

Old November 15th 03, 09:51 PM
C. Urch

Actually, I've heard that the sets without the vanishing 3 in the penny are
rarer than those that have them. They are actually quite common.

Old November 15th 03, 10:03 PM
Shystev99

Actually, I've heard that the sets without the vanishing 3 in the penny are
rarer than those that have them. They are actually quite common.

I think from what I've seen myself surfing Ebay and other coin sites I think
your right, The faded 3's do seem much more common than the regular pennies,
Just from what I've seen.
I was contemplating buying 2 2003 proof sets one with the faded 3 and one
regular set, Still trying to decide if it's worth getting the second set.
I didn't buy this current set based solely on the faded 3, It wasn't even
advertised when I bought it. I just found it when I opened it and started
looking. Then saw the Dime as well.
Either it's my imagination or something so rare it hasn't even been discovered
or atleast reported yet. I kind of doubt that though. lol, That'd be about the
equivilant of getting a winning lottery ticket in my view.
Steve