NSM Satellite 200 - Carriage or CCU

Old October 25th 16, 03:17 PM
AndrewG AndrewG is offline
Junior Member

Default NSM Satellite 200 - Carriage or CCU

I purchased a non-working 1982 NSM satellite 200 in excellent shape. Initially the carriage wouldn't move. I replaced a burnt-out relay on the CCU. Now the carriage will track to a 45, load it, needle arm will move into position, and then the 45 is rejected, and the carriage will track about 10 spaces right and stop. No error codes. The needle arm will also not change position to select A or B side of a 45. Also, when I use the test button on the CCU, the carriage will move and the counter will go up to 250, after which it restarts at 200. Does anyone have any advice on whether this is a carriage problem, or still a fault on the CCU? Any suggestions?
Old November 20th 16, 06:09 PM
AndrewG AndrewG is offline
Junior Member

Found part of the problem - a weak solder joint on the led board on the carriage. It was producing the same result as if it was at the end of the record. I missed something in reassembling the carriage though. Does anyone have a good photo of the underside of an esiii carriage? I have the manual but I think I have something cross-legged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Old November 20th 16, 11:15 PM
seancalla seancalla is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I purchased a non-working 1982 NSM satellite 200 in excellent shape. Initially the carriage wouldn't move. I replaced a burnt-out relay on the CCU. Now the carriage will track to a 45, load it, needle arm will move into position, and then the 45 is rejected, and the carriage will track about 10 spaces right and stop. No error codes. The needle arm will also not change position to select A or B side of a 45. Also, when I use the test button on the CCU, the carriage will move and the counter will go up to 250, after which it restarts at 200. Does anyone have any advice on whether this is a carriage problem, or still a fault on the CCU? Any suggestions?
Hi
could you post a photo or email a photo of the control unit, I think there is a fusible resistor (ceramic type) on the unit which can open at its wire lead but can be resoldered, I know I had a satellite before and this caused records to select and reject straight away, also check that the reject button wiring to the remote is ok
seancalla
Old November 23rd 16, 03:49 PM
AndrewG AndrewG is offline
Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. I replaced the 200-ohm resistor. The player no longer rejects the record immediately. It will play, but about 30 seconds later, the power begins to cut in and out. I suspect it is a leaky capacitor on the CCU. It only happens when the record is playing, so I suspect its being triggered by the playback motor.

Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancalla View Post
Old November 25th 16, 05:50 AM
AndrewG AndrewG is offline
Junior Member

Solved other problems but now when the carriage scans it won't stop at the correct selection. It scans left and right no problem but it will just keep scanning. It counts up and down correctly but won't stop. Any suggestions?
Old November 27th 16, 02:21 PM
seancalla seancalla is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Solved other problems but now when the carriage scans it won't stop at the correct selection. It scans left and right no problem but it will just keep scanning. It counts up and down correctly but won't stop. Any suggestions?
Hi
is the trip relay and trip solenoid operating when the carriage scans past the selection
Old November 27th 16, 04:27 PM
AndrewG AndrewG is offline
Junior Member

No. The solenoid isn't activating.. if I manually force it into position the unit will select whatever record it's at and play it but when it's done it won't release position. just reloads record again. The three relays on the board have all been replaced.

QUOTE=seancalla;698199]Hi
is the trip relay and trip solenoid operating when the carriage scans past the selection[/quote]
Old September 2nd 18, 01:54 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

I know this is old but which led were you having problems with? I can’t get led203 to light up on my nsm satellite 200. Fuses are all good.
Old November 25th 18, 05:12 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

I did have problems with led 203 but it's been a few years since I tinkered with it. I know I replaced the relays to fix the not tracking problem, and the vr's on the ends of the boards to fix the voltage drop problem. I replaced the 200 0hm ceramic resistor as well - that might have fixed led 203. I left it for a few years as I couldn't solve issues with the carriage. Sent the carriage off to Tennessee to be rebuilt. Now I'm back with issues of not tracking the record numbers properly - error ff. if you start to tinker keep a record of what you've done in case you take a break and can't remember how you fixed something...