Decoupage ?

Old April 26th 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Default Decoupage ?

On Apr 25, 12:44 am, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
Decoupage refers to cutting not decoration.
The decoration was done with bits that were
cut during the decoupage action.

Bisects are a form of decoupage.
At other times, stamps were cut into 4 parts
and each part could be used for 1/4 of original
face value.

Example

Mayotte Dec 1975

Shortage of 50 franc stamps.
They cut 200 franc stamps in 4,
overprinted them and used them
as 50 franc stamps.

187 Picasso stamps were cut in 4..
73 orchid stamps were cut in 4.

Shortage of 10 franc stamps.
They bisected 20 franc stamps

500 bracelet stamps were bisected.

Reference: Decision 108 PM dated 17 Dec 1975.

Blair

In January 1976, a further order was issued to cut more stamps.

233 stamps (200 francs) showing the Grand Mufti of the Comoros
were cut into 4 pieces and used as 50 franc stamps.

75 stamps (100 francs) showing discovery of the leprosy bacillus
were cut in four and used as 50 franc stamps.

Blair
Old April 26th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Thanks Blair.

"Blair (TC)"
Reference: Decision 108 PM dated 17 Dec 1975.

???

This is the reference number of the official decision of the
Mayotte administration authorizing the cutting of the stamps.

Blair

Old April 26th 08, 06:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_3_]

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:00:53 -0700, Blair (TC) wrote:

233 stamps (200 francs) showing the Grand Mufti of the Comoros were cut
into 4 pieces and used as 50 franc stamps.

75 stamps (100 francs) showing discovery of the leprosy bacillus were
cut in four and used as 50 franc stamps.

I pretend to know French, so someone please discreetly correct me: why is
this "decoupage", and not just "coupage"? If the method involved
extracted the vignette from framed stamps, I could understand the de-....

--
Joshua McGee ‹(•¿•)›
APS, ATA, ISWSC, AFDCS, MBPC, MCC, BPS
Old April 26th 08, 06:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre Courtiade

Joshua McGee a écrit :
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 16:00:53 -0700, Blair (TC) wrote:

233 stamps (200 francs) showing the Grand Mufti of the Comoros were
cut into 4 pieces and used as 50 franc stamps.

75 stamps (100 francs) showing discovery of the leprosy bacillus were
cut in four and used as 50 franc stamps.

I pretend to know French, so someone please discreetly correct me:
why is this "decoupage", and not just "coupage"? If the method
involved extracted the vignette from framed stamps, I could
understand the de-....

Hello Joshua,

"Couper" is cutting.

Découper : my dictionnary says that découper is to cut, to divide into
several pieces (often in an artistic manner).
Another meaning is to divide up (for instance a cake)
Also, to cut following the outlines of a drawing.

HTH

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade