Venezuela questions

Old April 27th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Default Venezuela questions

1. Why were the earliest stamps of Venezuela inscribed Escuelas? They were
used for all purposes (including revenue) until the first Bolívar issues of
1880, at which point their use was limited to internal post. Did the
schools get a percentage of the money?
2. What were the stamps inscribed Instrucción used for? Did schools get a
percentage? Why are they not listed in Scott?

Thanks in advance.

--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old April 28th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Apr 27, 11:32 am, "Tony Vella" wrote:
1. Why were the earliest stamps of Venezuela inscribed Escuelas? They were
used for all purposes (including revenue) until the first Bolívar issues of
1880, at which point their use was limited to internal post. Did the
schools get a percentage of the money?
2. What were the stamps inscribed Instrucción used for? Did schools get a
percentage? Why are they not listed in Scott?

Thanks in advance.

--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canadahttp://amedialuz.shorturl.com

Hi Tony:

They are revenues which were also allowed for domestic postage.
In Spanish the term used is "(Estampillas Fisco Postales)"

Until 1895, stamps inscribed "correos" were expected to be used for
international mail.

Until 1895, stamps inscribed "escuelas" or "Instruccion" were used
for domestic postage OR for revenue purposes. I always assumed
that those used as revenue stamps had all or part of the proceeds
go towards building the education system. (Scott is silent on the
specific use of the revenues.)

From 1895, stamps inscribed "escuelas" or "Instruccion" were
not valid for postage.

Here is a comment from the well known dealers , Earl P L
Apfelbaum of Philadelphia.

After 1876 two sets of stamps to prepay postage are used side by side,
the “Correo” (Post), or “Correos” (Posts), and the
“Escuelas” (Schools), altered lately into “Instruccion” (Education).
Some authorities declare the latter labels to be revenue stamps which
may be used for postage like some of the Australian fiscals; others
again say that stamps of the “Correos” class are used for Foreign
postage, the proceeds of their sale going to the Post Office
Department, while the “Escuelas” and “Instruccion” stamps are set
apart for Inland postage, the revenue arising from their sale being
handed over to the minister of education for the maintenance of the
State Schools. But, as Dr. Moschkau remarks, “It is strange that in
spite of prolonged researches no official decree could be placed
before us to prove that those stamps were used exclusively for Inland
postal service as is presumed by many philatelists.” Without entering
into this controversy we will at present take up the “Correos” stamps
only as being undoubtedly true postage stamps."

Blair
Old April 28th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

This any help Tony?
http://cjoint.com/data/eCestdQZXc.htm

The image is seen by navigating to pages to the Witt collection
by Riga stamps he
http://www.cinderellas.info/wittcoll/collection.htm

HTH

Old April 28th 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Hi Rod. Thanks for the Witt link -- I did find all my Instrucción stamps in
there. I still would like to know whether the School System got its cut
from the sales of these stamps. I also would like to know why there is no
sign of them in my Forbin.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old April 28th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

"Blair (TC)" wrote in message
[...]

From 1895, stamps inscribed "escuelas" or "Instruccion" were
[...]

Hi Blair.

I still would like to know if the school system got its cut. The reason I
ask is that among the departmental officials of Argentina there were
"M.J.I." (Ministerio de Justicia y Instrucción - Department of Justice and
Instruction) overprints and to the best of my knowledge all proceeds went to
the Justice Department; I still don't know why the School Systems were
thrown in with the Justice System. I know that the Venezuelan Instrucción
stamps were used for revenue/fiscal use -- so why is there no reference at
all to them in my 1915 Forbin? Oh well.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old April 28th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

In these cases of detailed info,
sometimes it is helpful to email webmasters on dedicated sites,
The response I find is about 20% successful.
Perhaps search for a Venezuelan collectors club.

(Then pass on your research to us

Your first query is a tad political, and the response would be positive
even if the schools didn't

Old April 28th 08, 10:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Apr 27, 11:32*am, "Tony Vella" wrote:
1. *Why were the earliest stamps of Venezuela inscribed Escuelas? *They were
used for all purposes (including revenue) until the first Bolívar issues of
1880, at which point their use was limited to internal post. *Did the
schools get a percentage of the money?
2. *What were the stamps inscribed Instrucción used for? *Did schools get a
percentage? Why are they not listed in Scott?

Thanks in advance.

--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canadahttp://amedialuz.shorturl.com

Hi Tony,

Take a look at this site ( I hope that ypur Spanish is adequate )

http://www.mystamps.net/stamps

where Willliams Castillo list some Escuela articles

I also sent you some stuff off line.

Jerry B