Reference catalog....

Old December 30th 04, 07:56 PM
Jim Wild

Default Reference catalog....

I have just ordered the "Standard Catalog of Paper Money 2004". From
what I understand from several different sources, this is the big daddy
of paper money reference books. Is everybody else who has one satisfied
with this particular catalog as a reference guide?

Amazon had if for $28. I've seen it for as much as $47. Thanks Owen.

I have a Chinese note that is probably pre-40's. Is there anyone who
could take a shot at helping me identify the year of it's print? The
catalog is only post-61.

I could send a scan of it if anyone cares to give it try. I would have
to send the scan to your address. I still don't know how to post it
here.

Interesting.... Ever since I started on the world paper money, I have
almost forgotten that I collect coins. How good is that? I certainly
have caught up on my geography knowledge at the same time.

Jim

Old December 30th 04, 08:31 PM
Owen Linzmayer

Jim,

The Krause catalog is "the bible" for world notes, tho it is far from
perfect. You will see notes listed therein at prices many collectors would
gladly pay, but those same notes NEVER appear for sale in any dealer's
inventory at any price, in any condition. Also, there are many
well-documented instances of errors in the catalog, and pricing strangeness
from one edition to another. Still, it's the book everyone refers to, so you
will appreciate having it in your library.

This newsgroup doesn't accept binaries, so please don't attempt to post same
here. Their large size would scroll off a lot of useful text messages.

As for learning geography via note collecting, I agree, it's a great side
effect. Now when I hear about something happening in some far off part of
the world, I think about the notes from there in my collection and I imagine
them also in the wallets of people on the other side of the globe.

On 12/30/04 11:56 AM, in article
, "Jim Wild"

Old December 30th 04, 09:20 PM
Jim Wild

I'm not sure what you meant by posting binaries in here, but I promise
not to do it.

As far as learning about the world, one can indeed refer to his
collection for events sake. I recently purchased notes from Sri Lanka
which are beautiful. And the latest news from there is tragic but note
worthy. Which is why after receiving all my notes from ebay and your
site, I will give my extras to my friends son, Aaron. He has an interest
in the coins and has collected them ever since I started him on it last
year. Now, with the world notes, it makes it all the more interesting.
The notes have a better eye appeal and are much more intriguing and
thought provoking. He is smart to begin with but this just heightens the
interest in the world in general. That to me is the most rewarding part
of it.

Thanks for all your help Owen, Jim

Old December 30th 04, 09:30 PM
Darren

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:56:32 -0500, Jim Wild wrote:

I could send a scan of it if anyone cares to give it try. I would have
to send the scan to your address. I still don't know how to post it
here.

Jim

Send me the scan - I'll take a stab at trying to identify it for you.

Interesting.... Ever since I started on the world paper money, I have
almost forgotten that I collect coins. How good is that? I certainly
have caught up on my geography knowledge at the same time.

I know what you mean, I only* collect one pound notes, from any country and
any time, obviously many of these notes come from the far flung reaches of
the British Empire as was but it helps to do some research and place them
in some context otherwise they're just bits of paper.

Thanks
Darren
(email address is backwards after the @)
*obviously the only is stretched as far as possible, I won't say no to
lire, lira, livre or even 20 shilling notes... oh, and I also collect
shillings - one from each King or Queen since Edward VI and Roman denarius,
oh and... and...
Old December 31st 04, 01:19 AM
Jim Wild

I tried your address, it didn't work. If you write to me directly, I can
send the scan.

I am

Thanks

Old December 31st 04, 03:28 AM
Jim Wild

I see what you mean now about binaries, sorry.

Old December 31st 04, 11:38 AM
Darren

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:19:54 -0500, Jim Wild wrote:

I tried your address, it didn't work. If you write to me directly, I can
send the scan.

I am

Thanks

Email sent. Hopefully it'll work!

Thanks
Darren
Old December 31st 04, 03:13 PM
Darren

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:38:08 +0000, Darren wrote:

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:19:54 -0500, Jim Wild wrote:

I tried your address, it didn't work. If you write to me directly, I can
send the scan.

I am

Thanks

Hi Jim

The Chinese lettering across the top of this note translates to:

Chung Kuo Lien Ho Chun Pei Yin Hang
We'd normally pronounce that as Federal Reserve Bank of China, that's our
first clue.

The central character of the larger three down the middle is 100, the
bottom character is the symbol for a dollar, or Yuan.

This is a 100 Yuan Federal Reserve Bank of China note, dating to around
1945, the note shows the Imperial Resting Quarters on the left and Huang Ti
at the right. Huang Ti was the first emperor of China, the guy buried with
the terracotta army. The catalogue number is J88, there is a grey and
red-brown version J88a

The Federal Reserve Bank issued notes from Peking when it was under
Japanese control, a puppet bank, the notes would have been issued from 1938
during the Sino-Japanese war which ended in 1945 when Japan surrendered to
the Americans.

Nice piece of history once you do a little research, that's why I like
notes!

If this was in my collection I'd get a little write up on the Sino-Japanese
war and a nice picture of a terracotta soldier!

Of course the note itself has no real value other than curiosity but then
that's the point isn't it?

Thanks, hope this is useful/interesting, I wonder if others can add
anything?

Darren
(also sent via email)