1996 silver penny

Old March 22nd 04, 03:34 AM
Cankersore

Default 1996 silver penny

I got a penny as change for a dime in a store the other day, and was
wondering if any of you fine people here would know what it might be worth.
Any help to find out if you don't know would be helpful as well. Thanks.
Old March 22nd 04, 03:42 AM
J. Craton

Cankersore wrote:

I got a penny as change for a dime in a store the other day, and was
wondering if any of you fine people here would know what it might be worth.
Any help to find out if you don't know would be helpful as well. Thanks.

Do you have an image? It could be a non plated lincoln cent or it could
be a lincoln cent struck on a dime planchet.
It could also be an altered lincoln cent that someone either painted
silver or someone dipped it in a solvent and it ate the copper plating off.

--
Jason Craton ---- CONECA N-3407 --- WINS #5
---------------------------

Nick is a DICK!
Reid is a troglodyte!

Old March 22nd 04, 03:55 AM
Padraic Brown

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 18:42:12 -0800, "J. Craton"
wrote:

Cankersore wrote:

I got a penny as change for a dime in a store the other day, and was
wondering if any of you fine people here would know what it might be worth.
Any help to find out if you don't know would be helpful as well. Thanks.

Do you have an image? It could be a non plated lincoln cent

I think I have one of those. Certainly no copper on it.

or it could
be a lincoln cent struck on a dime planchet.
It could also be an altered lincoln cent that someone either painted
silver

Possible, though more likely dipped in mercury.

or someone dipped it in a solvent and it ate the copper plating off.

Unlikely. This one is trotted out every time someone says they have a
"silver penny". Just about anything that can eat copper will probably
also vaporise the underlying zinc, which as we all know is a very poor
metal to use for coins. Nick a zinclon sometime and drop it in a weak
muriatic (if I recall the experiment right) acid bath. After a couple
days you'll have a shiny shell of copper.

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.
Old March 22nd 04, 04:06 AM
J. Craton

wrote:

Cankersore wrote:

[...]

There are plenty of altered zincolns out there that have had the copper
removed. An true unplated lincoln will have all of the characteristics
of a plated coin .... mint luster and all.

Old March 22nd 04, 01:38 PM
Cankersore

"J. Craton" wrote in
:

Cankersore wrote:

I got a penny as change for a dime in a store the other day, and was
wondering if any of you fine people here would know what it might be
worth. Any help to find out if you don't know would be helpful as
well. Thanks.

Do you have an image? It could be a non plated lincoln cent or it
could be a lincoln cent struck on a dime planchet.
It could also be an altered lincoln cent that someone either painted
silver or someone dipped it in a solvent and it ate the copper plating
off.

Here are your pictures.
Old March 22nd 04, 11:45 PM
eXistenZ32

On 2004-03-22, J. Craton wrote:

There are plenty of altered zincolns out there that have had the copper
removed. An true unplated lincoln will have all of the characteristics
of a plated coin .... mint luster and all.

I've got a de-coppered penny. Found it at my middle school back in 7th grade.
Under high magnification you can see pockmarks where it was eaten away by
something. Later, in 11th grade, my chem teacher showed us all kinds of acids
that could eat various metals. At the end of class, we had one penny with no
copper, and another beaker with only 2 slight films of the copper covering of
another penny (the rim was shaved down to expose the zinc, and placed in a
beaker of some acid that would eat it away.

--
______ ______
..-----.|__ ||__ | eXistenZ32
Old March 22nd 04, 11:52 PM
Keith Fletcher

Nick a zinclon sometime and drop it in a weak
muriatic (if I recall the experiment right) acid bath. After a couple
days you'll have a shiny shell of copper.

and the fun part, Hydrogen gas.

--K

Old March 23rd 04, 12:35 AM
Padraic Brown

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:38:02 GMT, Cankersore
wrote:

Bad bad bad! Post your pictures to a website and send the url here,
please!

Old March 23rd 04, 01:47 AM
Padraic Brown

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:45:36 GMT, eXistenZ32

On 2004-03-22, J. Craton wrote:

There are plenty of altered zincolns out there that have had the copper
removed. An true unplated lincoln will have all of the characteristics
of a plated coin .... mint luster and all.

I've got a de-coppered penny. Found it at my middle school back in 7th grade.
Under high magnification you can see pockmarks where it was eaten away by
something. Later, in 11th grade, my chem teacher showed us all kinds of acids
that could eat various metals. At the end of class, we had one penny with no
copper, and another beaker with only 2 slight films of the copper covering of
another penny (the rim was shaved down to expose the zinc, and placed in a
beaker of some acid that would eat it away.

Hm! What acid did you use to eat the copper and not the zinc?

Old March 23rd 04, 05:23 PM
Coin Saver

From: Padraic Brown
Bad bad bad!

Watcha gunna do?
Watcha gunna do when they come for you?

LOL
8-D
Coin Saver

1996 Silver Eagles, now what? mdp Coins 13 February 22nd 04 08:36 PM
Toning: real, artificial, in between? -- periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 0 January 11th 04 09:01 PM
Toning: real, artificial, in between? -- periodic post Reid Goldsborough Coins 0 December 3rd 03 04:26 AM
Coin Toning Question ynotan Coins 3 October 6th 03 09:28 AM
Coin Talk Needs You Peter T Davis Coins 51 September 16th 03 01:19 AM