Jury Duty

Old February 23rd 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Duh_Oz

Default Jury Duty

On topic because being 02/22 I gave each juror a $2 bill after our
verdicts (gave the two standby theirs just before after they were told
they we no longer needed) came in. Gave the foreperson an additional
$2 for the extra work. Told them all they should bring them all luck
and they'll never have to serve on a jury again. Hope the poor souls
didn't believe me LOL They were all glad to see them. One
mentioned she hasn't seen one in eons.

For the record pay in Cook County is $17.20 / day.
Old February 23rd 08, 11:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

"Duh_OZ" wrote in message
On topic because being 02/22 I gave each juror a $2 bill after our
verdicts (gave the two standby theirs just before after they were told
they we no longer needed) came in. Gave the foreperson an additional
$2 for the extra work. Told them all they should bring them all luck
and they'll never have to serve on a jury again. Hope the poor souls
didn't believe me LOL They were all glad to see them. One
mentioned she hasn't seen one in eons.

For the record pay in Cook County is $17.20 / day.

You get paid to serve on a Jury in the USA? Billy

Old February 23rd 08, 12:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
scottishmoney

"note.boy" wrote in message

"Duh_OZ" wrote in message
On topic because being 02/22 I gave each juror a $2 bill after our
verdicts (gave the two standby theirs just before after they were told
they we no longer needed) came in. Gave the foreperson an additional
$2 for the extra work. Told them all they should bring them all luck
and they'll never have to serve on a jury again. Hope the poor souls
didn't believe me LOL They were all glad to see them. One
mentioned she hasn't seen one in eons.

For the record pay in Cook County is $17.20 / day.

You get paid to serve on a Jury in the USA? Billy

Yes you do, I believe everywhere. When I served in Texas on a coroners jury
several years ago I got paid $6 a day, but had to pay $8 a day for parking
in downtown Houston. Then to add insult to injury, you are really required
to declare the "income" on your taxes at year end.

--
My Website on Numismatics - Scottish in Particular:

http://www.geocities.com/scottishmoney

Old February 23rd 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Scott Stevenson

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 07:34:02 -0500, "scottishmoney"
wrote:

"note.boy" wrote in message

"Duh_OZ" wrote in message
On topic because being 02/22 I gave each juror a $2 bill after our
verdicts (gave the two standby theirs just before after they were told
they we no longer needed) came in. Gave the foreperson an additional
$2 for the extra work. Told them all they should bring them all luck
and they'll never have to serve on a jury again. Hope the poor souls
didn't believe me LOL They were all glad to see them. One
mentioned she hasn't seen one in eons.

For the record pay in Cook County is $17.20 / day.

You get paid to serve on a Jury in the USA? Billy

Yes you do, I believe everywhere. When I served in Texas on a coroners jury
several years ago I got paid $6 a day, but had to pay $8 a day for parking
in downtown Houston. Then to add insult to injury, you are really required
to declare the "income" on your taxes at year end.

The "plus" though, is that if you save the parking receipts, they
become a deductible expense.

take care,
Scott

Old February 23rd 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Daniel

"Duh_OZ" wrote in message
On topic because being 02/22 I gave each juror a $2 bill after our
verdicts (gave the two standby theirs just before after they were told
they we no longer needed) came in. Gave the foreperson an additional
$2 for the extra work. Told them all they should bring them all luck
and they'll never have to serve on a jury again. Hope the poor souls
didn't believe me LOL They were all glad to see them. One
mentioned she hasn't seen one in eons.

For the record pay in Cook County is $17.20 / day.

Yes, you better watch out what you say to people when handing out $2 bills.
Most think they are counterfeit. I use to kid people when I would spent my
fresh $2 bills. I would say I just printed them up this morning....... Gave
that silliness up, since too many people are so clueless these days, and
would think I was serious.

Old February 23rd 08, 08:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
scottishmoney

"Scott Stevenson"
The "plus" though, is that if you save the parking receipts, they
become a deductible expense.

take care,
Scott

At that point I was just very glad I did not get called to the jury for the
case right across the hall, the Selena Quintinilla murder trial, she was a
Mexican American singer that made it big ca. 1994 or so and then was killed
in 1995 by her maid or whatever. The media was all over that one.

Old February 23rd 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
note.boy

"scottishmoney" wrote in message

"note.boy" wrote in message

"Duh_OZ" wrote in message
[...]

I served on the jury in a high court case and got lunch only, no payments
are made to jurors in the UK except for expenses, if any. Billy

Old February 24th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
stonej

"note.boy" wrote in message

"Duh_OZ" wrote in message
[...]

are made to jurors in the UK except for expenses, if any. *Billy- Hide quoted text -

I served on a jury one time, I don't remember what I was paid but my
employer still paid me for the week minus the
amount I got for jury duty.

I was called for jury duty a few other times but was not chosen, one
case was a widely publicized gang rape case
and the other was a mugging. Nasty stuff, glad I didn't have to sit
through the testimony
Old February 24th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
scottishmoney

"stonej" wrote in message
I was called for jury duty a few other times but was not chosen, one
case was a widely publicized gang rape case
and the other was a mugging. Nasty stuff, glad I didn't have to sit
through the testimony

The only time I was called in the last 10 years was about 8 or 9 years ago
and it was a drunk driving case. I was quickly dismissed when I revealed
that relatives of mine had been hit by and injured by drunk drivers and I
thought such should be punished for attempted murder. I was not trying to
get off the case, just offering my honest opinion. On the coroners jury,
I was questioned as to whether I was in favour of the death penalty, which
then I was and stated so. I thought the defense attorney would have
dismissed me, but I was selected and sat on a one week long murder trial.
In the end we found the defendent guilty, and as we were preparing to come
back to the courtroom to render the verdict he plea bargained to 30 years to
life instead of 40 to life.

Old February 24th 08, 12:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Al[_3_]

You get paid to serve on a Jury in the USA? Billy

You get paid in England too. Thirty-something pounds per day.

Personally I have insurance that pays 300 pounds per day if called.

Al.

When were duty stamps first used on checks in the US? Jim D Paper Money 1 January 4th 07 09:07 AM
Import Duty on Coins Deforce Coins 38 May 30th 04 12:10 AM
Where does one's moral duty end? A.Gent Coins 11 October 26th 03 02:45 AM
double duty coins? crc2074 Coins 6 August 18th 03 02:55 PM
Tour of Duty Cast J Smith Autographs 0 July 26th 03 04:37 AM