Akai CR-80T Arrived!

Old November 27th 07, 11:39 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
trippin-2-8-trak

Default insane Charlie Nudo so delusional, he thinks his criminal past ?will just disappear

wrote in message
still_trackin wrote:
[ 1961 Revere T-2200 stereo tape deck]
DB might be able to say whether your set is way too early or way too
late for this, but I seem to recall that in a certain era, tube markings
switched from a glass etch and/or tough paint to some kind of water-
based ink or dye. The result is that if you're cleaning the dust out
of an old set (unplugged, right?) with a damp rag, it's easy to wipe
the markings right off of the tubes.
Matt Roberds

DB is the LAST person who could tell you anything about a decent tube set.
He's only 50 years old, which would make him around 5 years old when that
set was made and sold new. How would he know anything about it ?

If you want good advice and tech help on a tube set, go to someone who
repaired them for 30 years back in the day- not an unemployed "phone guy"
that plugged phone cords in for minimum wage...

Old November 27th 07, 11:48 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
trippin-2-8-trak

"still_trackin" Not much available online about
these machines. Since I already have a great tube preamp....Audio
Research SP-11 MK II, it doesn't really make too much sense running
other components thru the Revere and then into the preamp.
When I put together the other system which might be solid state
gear, I might give it a try to see if it gives it a warmer sound. I
know that cd players are available with tubes in the output stage, but
I'm not sure if running a source thru the revere would benefit the
same way.
I will test the T-2200 with a few of the 7.5 Ampex tapes that I
have.....Beatles,Stones,Zep,Tull etc., hard to find these tapes even
on e Bay at reasonable prices. Not sure if paying $25.00+ for other
titles would be worth it. Thanks again for the Revere info and I'll
keep you posted when I get it up and running.

If your Revere set is a single ended tube amp, it will add even-order
harmonics to the line source you put through it. Presently that is about
the best sound you can get on the planet. If it is a push-pull design set,
you will add both even and odd order harmonic coloration- which is not as
good, but still better than straight solid state amplification.

If you research that model number on Ebay and on the net, you'll eventually
find the info on tubes you need. As you can see here, no one gave you a
definite tube listing, all general answers. (DB bs'd through with another
long, boring, general answer with no specifics)

The problem with CD and digital sound in general, is it has no soul- it's
too perfect. Kind of like a really hot looking chick, that turns out to be
a cloned robot and not real. The coloration of a single ended tube set,
adds needed realism to a CD.

You will still get your best results with a clean analog source though. CD
sacrifices a lot, to get low/zero background noise.

3M is good stuff- Revere also made cameras which were very high quality for
their day.

Old November 27th 07, 04:06 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
STUPID in BUMLER

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 05:48:45 -0500, "trippin-2-8-trak"
wrote:

If your Revere set is a single ended tube amp, it will add even-order
harmonics to the line source you put through it. snip

Hence, it is NOT "high fidelity," but rather, a sound
coloration/distortion device, which adds several percent of harmonic
distortion, rather than passing and amplifying the signal current
without such distortions. Such traits are desirable in music
PRODUCTION devices, like guitar amps, Leslie speaker amps and other
sound producers. They're not wanted in sound REPRODUCERS.

Charlie Nudo, of limited intelligence and mental problems, doesn't
understand this concept.
Old November 27th 07, 04:09 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 07:48:42 GMT, wrote:

DB might be able to say whether your set is way too early or way too
late for this, but I seem to recall that in a certain era, tube markings
switched from a glass etch and/or tough paint to some kind of water-
based ink or dye. The result is that if you're cleaning the dust out
of an old set (unplugged, right?) with a damp rag, it's easy to wipe
the markings right off of the tubes. snip

The worst for this were Amperex, which used silk screened paint for
their designations. RCAs, GEs and Westinghouses, all had
heat-resistant etched markings up until the end. I believe some
Mullards also used painted markings, as well, but after awhile, one
can tell a 12AX7 from a 6AU6 with no trouble at all. The trouble
starts when you get into less common types. And yes, most tube gear
had a tube layout silk screen or printing somewhere inside, or a
crispy piece of paper.

I'll only replace them if I need to. Want to keep the NOS tubes if
possible.

Nit: The tubes that are in the set are only NOS if you're selling them
on Ebay. "Original" would be a better description. New Old Stock
tubes would be ones that have sat around unused for lo these many years.

Matt Roberds snip

Correct.
Old November 27th 07, 04:13 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
LOONY TUNES at BUMLER

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 05:39:28 -0500, "trippin-2-8-trak"
wrote:

DB is the LAST person who could tell you anything about a decent tube set.
He's only 50 years old, which would make him around 5 years old when that
set was made and sold new. How would he know anything about it ? snip

Let's see...I built my first Heath GR-53 color television kit when I
was what, 10 years old? Prior to that, I'd built ham gear, test gear,
audio gear, some from scratch, and was active in the local electronics
club at the local Boy's Club.

What kind of electronics experience did Charlie Nudo have before
trying to become an eBay snake oil salesman? NONE. Degrees in
electrical engineering? NONE. Degrees in ANY discipline? NONE.

If you want good advice and tech help on a tube set, go to someone who
repaired them for 30 years back in the day- not an unemployed "phone guy"
that plugged phone cords in for minimum wage... snip

You, as usual, have no idea what you're talking about, but that's
normal for a paranoid delusional welded washer salesman from the "coal
slum" of NE Pennsylvania, whose only steady income was a "wired" job
that Papa Noodles got for him because he's been a failure at
everything he's done in life...except be a petty criminal.
Old December 2nd 07, 08:04 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Robert

DeserTBoB wrote:

By '61, there was a newer RCA industrial numbered tube (I forget the
number) that was in favor for tape head preamps. *It had more voltage
gain than the 12AX7 used in cascode and was thus effectively quieter

that would be a 7025. that, & the 12AX7 are in big demand & command obsene
prices, especially N.O.S tubes. i have seen them bring as much as $75 on
Ebay & other sites. they were also used in guitar amp front ends as well.

Some
cheaper stereo models also used a 6DJ8 twin triode for tape head
preamps, with space saving and cost economy and little in the way of
performance improvement.

the 6DJ8 was used mainly in MATV distribution amplifiers & general purpose
RF amplifiers . they were not used in the vintage audio equipment (at least
not in the audio signal path). if (& when) they were used, it would be in
the front end of the FM receiver.

however
the current production hifi tube amps use them as well as those CD players
with a tube audio circuit. that because they are much cheaper than the good
NOS 12AX7s