How about a 10 kilo Silver coin?

Old August 29th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Harv

Default How about a 10 kilo Silver coin?

Someone had a thread going here about big coins. This afternoon I visited
Panda America (one of the biggest bullion / coin dealers in the country who
is a local drive away from me).. to buy a 2006 Buffalo. In order to avoid
the Calif. state sales tax, (no tax on any single purchase over $1000.00 at
a retail store).. I bought another coin, a 1/2 oz. AGE, so the total came
to $1001.00, saving me $82.50 in sales tax.

Anyway, as I'm standing in their showroom looking around and grabbing
literature while the guy goes back in the heavy security room to get the
coins, I spied this behemoth in the showcase:

http://www.amigazone.com/images/june/10kilo.jpg

It's a Chinese something or other. I couldn't see the reverse because it was
in a locked display case. You can get an inkling of its size by the coins
you can almost see to its left which are Dollar-sized 1 oz. Silver rounds.
The thing is about the size of a salad plate and probably half an inch
thick. Or more. Anyway, 10 kilos = 22 lbs of .999 Silver so about $4500.00
I think. I didn't ask.

Makes my huge Spanish Dali coin look tiny in comparison.

The 2006 Buffalo Uncs. come in a very interesting sealed "flip" sort of
affair with the Mint's name and official seal in blue on the outside, and
the coin itself is in a sort of round soft sealed capsule inside the flip so
it can't slide around or fall out. I've never seen any kind of US Mint
packaging like this before.

Gold was down to $615.00 today so I thought it'd be a good opportunity to
grab one. Of course, this means Gold will drop since I finally bought one,
but by doing it at a local dealer and not on eBay, or a mail order dealer I
saved the angst of squirming waiting for delivery, paying for freight and
insurance, and all the other drama that comes with those kinds of purchases.
And by getting my total over-the-counter purchase to exactly $1001.00 I
saved a wad on tax I didn't have to pay.

Harv

Old August 29th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

"Harv" wrote in message
http://www.amigazone.com/images/june/10kilo.jpg

It's a Chinese something or other. I couldn't see the reverse because it
was
in a locked display case. You can get an inkling of its size by the coins
you can almost see to its left which are Dollar-sized 1 oz. Silver rounds.
The thing is about the size of a salad plate and probably half an inch
thick. Or more. Anyway, 10 kilos = 22 lbs of .999 Silver so about
$4500.00
I think. I didn't ask.

I have seen it on their website, it cost well over $6K, so it is selling for
a lot more than the bullion value. Otherwise I would have to have one.

Old August 29th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
proud-collector.com

I started the thread about big coins, I have a 10 ounce 9999 silver
coin. I have a picture on my website (which I invite everyone to add
their collections to) of the coin in my hand (barely):

http://www.proud-collector.com/5/7/collection.aspx

Old August 29th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Harv

"Sibirskmoneta" wrote in message

"Harv" wrote in message
http://www.amigazone.com/images/june/10kilo.jpg

It's a Chinese something or other. I couldn't see the reverse because it
was
in a locked display case. You can get an inkling of its size by the

coins
you can almost see to its left which are Dollar-sized 1 oz. Silver

rounds.
The thing is about the size of a salad plate and probably half an inch
thick. Or more. Anyway, 10 kilos = 22 lbs of .999 Silver so about
$4500.00
I think. I didn't ask.

I have seen it on their website, it cost well over $6K, so it is selling

for
a lot more than the bullion value. Otherwise I would have to have one.

I posted too soon. (Engage brain before typing).. I just looked at some of
the literature I grabbed at Panda America and this huuuuuuuuuuuge coin is in
their leaflet.

The monster 10 kilo Silver coin is Australian, not Chinese. It's dated 2006,
"Year of the dog." So I thought it was Chinese. D'oh!.. The mintage is 1000.
There is also a 10 kilo GOLD version with a mintage of 20. I don't even want
to THINK about how much the Gold one costs :-/ ..

Harv

Old August 29th 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

"Harv" wrote in message

I posted too soon. (Engage brain before typing).. I just looked at some of
the literature I grabbed at Panda America and this huuuuuuuuuuuge coin is
in
their leaflet.

The monster 10 kilo Silver coin is Australian, not Chinese. It's dated
2006,
"Year of the dog." So I thought it was Chinese. D'oh!.. The mintage is
1000.
There is also a 10 kilo GOLD version with a mintage of 20. I don't even
want
to THINK about how much the Gold one costs :-/ ..

Harv

They charge way too much for the gold Kilo coins, when the bullion value is
about $21K, they charge $29K, a waste of $8K in my opinion. A reasonable
markup can be expected, but this is ridiculous.

Old August 29th 06, 12:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Christian Feldhaus

Harv wrote:

The monster 10 kilo Silver coin is Australian, not Chinese.

See the message that I posted about that 10 kilo coin a week ago. Here
is the link again, and no, I still do not plan to buy the beast g.

http://www.pandaamerica.com/details....grp=1&categ=19

I don't even want
to THINK about how much the Gold one costs :-/

C'mon, be brave and click the link below. ;-)

http://www.pandaamerica.com/details....grp=1&categ=19

The gold coin
Old August 29th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 07:01:23 -0400, Sibirskmoneta wrote:

They charge way too much for the gold Kilo coins, when the bullion value is
about $21K, they charge $29K, a waste of $8K in my opinion. A reasonable
markup can be expected, but this is ridiculous.

Isn't the whole point of bullion, that it's portable and fungable?
I can see an ounce or even 10 ounce unit, but when we're dealing with a
car or so of value, that's an awfully big increment to deal with. A few
one or ten ounce ingots, no biggie, pretty much any time you want to get
rid of that, no problem, instant cash. But this? I'm pretty sure my
local doesn't have that much cash on hand.

Old August 29th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael

Interesting. I purchased a 1-Kilo China Myth Animal coin from Franklin
Mint Japan www.franklinmint.jp
(http://www.franklinmint.jp/tmp_cart/detail.php?id=551) This was
designed and developed by Franklin Mint Japan but minted by Perth Mint.
The quality is excellent. Often I have noticed though...the larger
the coin the worse the sculpting looks.

Old August 29th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
WheatPenny

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 23:53:22 GMT, "Harv" climbed to
the top of the minaret and sang out:

[...]

What exactly are the dimensions (diameter/thickness) of this coin,
btw? Not that I'll ever own one, but As much as has been posted about
thiese coins lately, I'm really curious about just how big this thing
is.
---

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

(Charles M. Schulz)
Old August 29th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message Isn't the whole point of
bullion, that it's portable and fungable?
I can see an ounce or even 10 ounce unit, but when we're dealing with a
car or so of value, that's an awfully big increment to deal with. A few
one or ten ounce ingots, no biggie, pretty much any time you want to get
rid of that, no problem, instant cash. But this? I'm pretty sure my
local doesn't have that much cash on hand.

Even a Kilo of gold would be a bit difficult to peddle off.

I cannot imagine going to my local dealer and handing over 31lbs of gold in
the form of a monster coin and expecting him to shell over $210.000