Dali coins have been issued

Old May 14th 04, 09:19 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Default Dali coins have been issued

The Spanish "Salvador Dalí" commemorative coins are available now: three
different 10 euro pieces (silver), a 50 euro coin (silver with gold
plated insert) and 400 euro (gold). Here is a picture (from the website
of a German dealer) that shows the five pieces:
http://www.honscha.de/bilder/480sp04g.jpg

Christian
Old May 14th 04, 09:32 PM
Ian

Christian Feldhaus wrote:
The Spanish "Salvador Dalí" commemorative coins are available now: three
different 10 euro pieces (silver), a 50 euro coin (silver with gold
plated insert) and 400 euro (gold). Here is a picture (from the website
of a German dealer) that shows the five pieces:
http://www.honscha.de/bilder/480sp04g.jpg

Christian

I'm not so sure that they do his art the full justice.

The inclusion of a 400 euro gold piece put the thought of wanting to buy
a set completely out of my mind.

Purely for the rich collector methinks, or the die hard collector of
things `Dali'.

Ian
`pass'
Old May 14th 04, 09:49 PM
Keith Fletcher

Hello, Dali, yes hello, Dali, it's so nice to see you back where you belong,
you're lookin' swell, Dali, I can tell, Dali ...

What a fine song that was!

--K

Old May 14th 04, 10:46 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Ian wrote:

I'm not so sure that they do his art the full justice.

Difficult ... the coins are not colored (fortunately, I might add g),
so one of the key elements of a painting has been eliminated. But I
think that putting Dalí's art on coins is still a very good way of
celebrating his anniversary.

(Side note: Quite often we are shown "pictures" of coins to be issued at
a later stage. Those images look appealing even without any color mainly
because the grayscale image allows for many more shades than the actual
coin can have. Here is a nice example of what I mean:
http://europassion.webdynamit.net/upload/50310euro.jpg
Interesting design, I think, but Europa on the bull will certainly not
look that "plastic" on the final coin g.)

The inclusion of a 400 euro gold piece put the thought of wanting to buy
a set completely out of my mind.

If you wanted a complete set, you would indeed have to spend more than a
thousand euros. But the Spanish Mint, and most dealers, will also sell
individual coins or "silver sets", for example. See
http://www.fnmt.es/es/html/moco/p_pr_moco_34.html

Purely for the rich collector methinks, or the die hard collector of
things `Dali'.

Sí, señor. They did the same thing (3x10/silver, 50/silver, 400/silver)
with the Antoni Gaudí coins two years ago. At that time I got the three
10 euro coins since I like Barcelona and find his architecture quite
interesting. But I bought just one of the Dalí pieces - the one that, in
the image, got "decorated" by the dealer's TH initials ...

Christian
Old May 14th 04, 11:33 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Bruce Hickmott wrote:

Those are cool! Don't normally do non-us coins, but for those I'll make an
exception.

Yes, quite nice coins indeed ... but unfortunately quite expensive as
well (see my reply to Ian). Here is some more info, in English, from the
Spanish Mint's web site, by the way:

http://www.fnmt.es/en/html/moco/p_ca_moco_34.html

Christian
Old May 14th 04, 11:38 PM
Ankaaz

Christian wrote:

"The Spanish 'Salvador Dalí' commemorative coins are available now: three
different 10 euro pieces (silver), a 50 euro coin (silver with gold plated
insert) and 400 euro (gold). Here is a picture (from the website of a German
dealer) that shows the five pieces:
http://www.honscha.de/bilder/480sp04g.jpg "

I love them! My favorite is the obverse of the 400 euro, a mustachioed Dali
with long hair. Fantastico!

Anka --- I remember his flamboyant flourish of his hands and then the shout,
"DALI!"

Old May 15th 04, 12:28 AM
Denise

Christian Feldhaus wrote:
The Spanish "Salvador Dalí" commemorative coins are available now: three
different 10 euro pieces (silver), a 50 euro coin (silver with gold
plated insert) and 400 euro (gold). Here is a picture (from the website
of a German dealer) that shows the five pieces:
http://www.honscha.de/bilder/480sp04g.jpg

Christian

How do I buy them in the US?

Old May 15th 04, 01:41 AM
Harv

Bruce Hickmott wrote:

Those are cool! Don't normally do non-us coins, but for those I'll make

an
exception.

Yes, quite nice coins indeed ... but unfortunately quite expensive as
well (see my reply to Ian). Here is some more info, in English, from the
Spanish Mint's web site, by the way:

http://www.fnmt.es/en/html/moco/p_ca_moco_34.html

Christian

I can't find any links anywhere on their site to place an order. Can it be
done??.. All I can find is a phone number to their shop..

Harv