Collectors vs. Archaeologists

Old January 26th 09, 06:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Welsh

Default Collectors vs. Archaeologists

The stance radical archaeologists have taken indicates that they do not want
collectors to have access to any material excavated by archaeologists.
Instead, they want it all kept as "public property" by institutions. One
leading radical archaeologist has even gone so far as to advocate
prohibiting the sale of any artifact that has presumably been excavated,
regardless of provenance.

It has been alleged that arguments advanced by radical archaeologists
against continuation of the present free collecting environment are nothing
more than a smoke screen cleverly put up to disguise their true motive,
which is to secure exclusive control of access to all "archaeological source
material" including such common artifacts as ancient coins.
Moneta-L listreaders should be under no illusions as to the true intentions
of these radical archaeologists. If they get their way, it will eventually
become impossible to continue private collecting of ancient coins. Paul
Barford comes to Moneta-L not to explore the truth as a bona fide
participant in our discussions, but as your enemy - a relentless critic of
ancient coin collecting who intends to prevent you from continuing this
time-honored and socially beneficial activity. His true objective in
participating in discussions on Moneta-L is to manipulate them so as to
advance that destructive goal.

The measures Paul Barford advocates would make it impossible for you to
lawfully acquire any ancient artifact that does not have provenance
traceable to its find spot, with proof of licit export from its state of
origin or to its presence in a collection prior to 1970. Very few ancient
coins have such a provenance. No one had ever thought it would be important
to document provenance of such common objects, before radical archaeologists
began lecturing collectors (and the public) about how we are causing looting
of archaological sites by collecting unprovenanced artifacts. That
allegation is being presented to the public as though it were scientifically
established truth, rather than what it really is - a mere hypothesis for
which no verifiable evidence has ever been presented.

I do not believe that this allegation can be proven, and in my opinion the
real "moral lepers" in this controversy are those who seek to deprive
collectors of their rights without demonstrating just cause.

Dave Welsh
www.classicalcoins.com

Old January 26th 09, 06:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
James Weston[_3_]

Dave, this is simply because archaeologists are thieves themselves and many
hoard for their own private and hidden collections. Also, they don't want
any "artifact wealth" in the hands of private citizens, hoarding it all for
their museums and themselves. They use the "loss of provenance and loss of
proper research" as an excuse toward this end.
This is also why entire nations are becoming involved in stealing
rightfully owned artifacts from private collections, even those that are
over a century old. It is a greed grab.

Old January 26th 09, 11:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Welsh

James,

What you say is perhaps true of some archaeologists but I don't think that
most in the discipline are really like that. It is the radical faction that
is causing all these difficulties.

Before Colin Renfrew began his anticollecting campaign, collectors and
archaeologists were allies.

Dave Welsh

Old January 27th 09, 10:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

A few years back a stupid female archaeologist on Time Team totally ruined a
Roman bronze coin by very harshly cleaning it.

I emailed Time Team suggesting that she is never allowed near a coin again.
Billy

Old January 28th 09, 08:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Welsh

Default Stupid Female Archaeologists [was Collectors vs. Archaeologists]

The Nickle Numismatic Collection of Greek coins [at the time, a very
important collection] was ruined by the idiocy of an ignorant and
incompetent female curator who sent them all out to be polished:

There seems to be no limit to the incompetence, negligence and rapacity of
those put in charge of coins and other antiquities that have been placed in
the custody of source state academic institutions and cultural ministries.
Nepotism and favoritism are rife, and those appointees who do not endanger
artifacts they are responsible for by ignorance and stupidity, all too often
steal them.

If one had to select custodial candidates for artifacts based upon
knowledge, competence, honesty and reliablility, collectors would rank far
above most curators and officials in museums and cultural ministries. It is
only the best institutions whose standards exceed that which the typical
collector would provide.

Dave Welsh

Old January 28th 09, 05:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

Old January 28th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

news
Arizona, nothing wrong with the subject line. You just need to
brush up on
your reading skills.

Something is a miss here.... SUBJECT LINE

Hello

I would say somone needs to brush-up on there TROLL SKILLS myself.

Lorrie S.

Mark B."

Johnny Pride"

"James Weston"

"Geoff Rockbridge"

Anyone want to bet they're all the same person? That's pretty common
for obnoxious troll sock puppets.

Old January 28th 09, 05:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Nick Knight

In , on 01/28/2009
at 05:45 PM, "mazorj" said:

I would say somone needs to brush-up on there TROLL SKILLS myself.

Lorrie S.

Mark B."

Johnny Pride"

"James Weston"

"Geoff Rockbridge"

Anyone want to bet they're all the same person? That's pretty common for
obnoxious troll sock puppets.

I only had posts from 2 of them in my keep, but it was interesting to see
that the posting hosts were the same, as was some of the other header info.
None of it proves that they are the same, but it's certainly unusual

Nick
Old January 28th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

"mazorj" wrote in message

news
Arizona, nothing wrong with the subject line. You just need to
brush up on
your reading skills.

Something is a miss here.... SUBJECT LINE

Hello

I would say somone needs to brush-up on there TROLL SKILLS myself.

Lorrie S.

Mark B."

Johnny Pride"

"James Weston"

"Geoff Rockbridge"

Anyone want to bet they're all the same person? That's pretty common
for obnoxious troll sock puppets.

You forgot the latest troll, Bob Golden