Post Office history (New Mexico)

Old December 23rd 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bobstamp

Default Post Office history (New Mexico)

I am continuing to do research on the post office in Arenas Valley,
New Mexico, but there are conflicting dates.

In a previous discussion here, in 2001, Ada Prill said she had found
the opening date December 20, 1944 on a government web site. The link
she provided is no longer working.

Olga Mae Harper (mother of my childhood friend, Ernest Harper) was
apparently the first postmaster; she was appointed on December 13,
1946, according to a copy of the official document in my possession,
signed by the then-Postmaster General Robert Hannegan. See
http://www.ingraham.ca/bob/~IMAGES/h...ntment_web.jpg.

On a private web site providing opening and closing dates of New
Mexico post offices, the Arenas Valley post office opened on January
1, 1947. However, the same web page also gives October 25, 1946 as the
date Mrs. Harper became postmaster. See http://newmexicoalhn.net/pogrant.htm.

I obviously cannot discount the evidence of Mrs. Harper's appointment,
but the date the post office actually opened for business is in doubt.
Can anyone provide any additional information that might clarify this
question?

Bob Ingraham
Old December 23rd 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
John Tollan

Hi Bob:
According to "Post Offices of New Mexico" (1981) by Richard W. Helbock,
Arenas Valley PO was opened on 1 January 1947. Helbock is usually 'spot
on' when it comes to PO openings and closings.
On Jim Forte's website (www.postalhistory.com) the office is listed as
opening in 1947.
Although I collect US covers from the 19th century only, it was
certainly common practice then to appoint a postmaster BEFORE the office
was (officially) opened.
Hope this helps!
A Happy Christmas to you and yours!
John Tollan
(remove "not me" and "jack" to reply)

Old December 24th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bobstamp

Thank you, John. I think we can safely assume that the January 1, 1947
date is correct.

I have published a web page about the post office and some of my early
philatelic (and other) experiences in Arenas Valley. I invite any and
all rcsd participants to read it and comment if they wish. My
childhood friend Ernest Harper plays a role in the story. Yesterday I
decided to contact him, and spent about half an hour on the phone with
him and with his wife, Doris, who was another of the kids in Arenas
Valley. It was the first time since the summer of 1966 that I had
spoken with Ernest. The URL: http://www.ingraham.ca/bob/arenasvalley.html.

Thanks again for your help. This group continues to be a treasure,
despite MI5 "persecution"!

Bob
Old December 24th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bobstamp

On Dec 23, 1:46*pm, John Tollan wrote:
Hi Bob:
According to "Post Offices of New Mexico" (1981) by Richard W. Helbock,
Arenas Valley PO was opened on 1 January 1947. Helbock is usually 'spot
on' when it comes to PO openings and closings.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that it was Richard Helbock
who was instrumental in helping me to obtain the only Arenas Valley
covers in my collection. He recommended that I get in touch with a
collector in Las Cruces, New Mexico. That collector passed my request
for Arenas Valley covers to his son, and one day out of the blue the
cover on my web page and one or two others arrived in the mail, as a
gift. There really isn't a better community in the world than this
one!

Bob
Old December 24th 07, 06:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
John Tollan

Bob, you're welcome. It's good to be able to answer a "postal history"
question on the group! PH is my thing!
You are quite correct in saying that the philatelic community worldwide
is an exceptional one. I have received so much help and advice over the
years. Just today - Christmas Eve! - I picked up a package from the post
office mailed from England. A collector there searched and found for me
two out of print books I have been trying to obtain for months and months.
Richard Helbock is now living in Australia (as I do!) and has been a
great help to me as well. He's still researching, writing, and
publishing that fine US Postal History Journal "La Posta". He describes
himself as "being on a permanent vacation".
Cheers:
John