Ebay Seller = Huge Scam?

Old December 22nd 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace,rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
ElParagon

Default Ebay Seller = Huge Scam?

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:24:10 -0800, "Richard C." wrote:
"Nomen Nescio" wrote in message
.. .
Five timers in past 2 weeks, I was the highest bidder until a few seconds
before deadline.

Then, miraculously I get a notice that in the last few seconds, some
mysterious buyer overbid me by several HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS, rather than
the $10 which is supposed to happen.

On several of his lots, I bid $333 or so, then get his message that
someone paid $690!! In last few seconds!1

=======================================
You sound like a troll!

If you bid $333 or so, the most the next bidder could go would be $350 (or
so).

That is why the OP was complaining.

He had the Ebay IM to notify him of higher bids.
There were no messages from Ebay, which seems to indicate that there were no
higher bids than his.

In the last few seconds, it would be IMPOSSIBLE for bids to jump HUNDREDS OF
DOLLARS, even by sniping!!

You obviously do not know how eBay works.

This is happening repeatedly, which is highly suspicious.

I see in newsgroups, apparently this type of activity is happening with
some other regular sellers.

Is this legal?

Certainly it discourages normal people from bidding, especially when
combined with supposed "private bidders"

This particular Power seller has a large number of "private bidders" which
seems very suspicious.

Pro tem, I am not bidding on suspect sellers.

By the way, Ebay ARe investigating this New York based seller, since there
have been a number of complaints.

Old December 22nd 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace,rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
ElParagon

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:27:26 -0500, Alan wrote:

It's very possible to get lots of bids in the last 5 seconds with
automatic sniping. If you bid 333 and some one bid 600 on the close
with someone else bidding 700 it would go for 620.

There was no reserve, according to the listing.

Also if there was a reserve of 600 and the highest bid till then was 333
then last minute someone bid 700 it would sell for 620 jumping directly
to 620 from your bid

ElParagon wrote:
[...]

Now, it seems that the Power Seller is re-selling one of the supposedly sold
lots, again!!

Old December 23rd 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace, rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

ElParagon wrote:
[...]

It sounds like he has a couple of shill bidders working for him.
can you give us a URL for the new sale so that we can track it?

Blair
Old December 23rd 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace,rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
ElParagon

ElParagon wrote:
[...]

It is lot # 310008659597, which seems similar to 4 other lots supposedly sold
for hundreds of dollars more than the highest bidder at 9 seconds before
closing!

Old December 23rd 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace,rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Nick Knight

In , on 12/23/2007
at 12:06 AM, ElParagon said:

It is lot # 310008659597, which seems similar to 4 other lots supposedly
sold for hundreds of dollars more than the highest bidder at 9 seconds
before closing!

While all 4 lots (3 sold, 1 newly listed) do look quite a bit similar, there
are enough differences in the first couple of pictures that, to me, they
look like 4 different lots. I'm not interested in comparing ALL pictures to
find duplicates ... I'll leave that as an exercise for someone else

However, I believe this is the lot that the OP was referencing. Note that I
went right to the bid history to show 12 bids from what appears to be 4
unique bidders AFTER his $333 bid. A handful were during the last 10
seconds:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=310007862599

I don't see anything too very suspicious here. The i*** guy did manage to
bid very fast, like within 7 seconds of a previous bid. However, when I
used to snipe manually, I would open several browser windows, having at
least one open to a bid confirmation, so bidding multiple times, fast, IS
possible.

Anybody else see it?

Nick

Old December 23rd 07, 07:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace,rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 22:18:49 -0500, "Nick Knight"
wrote:

In , on 12/23/2007
at 12:06 AM, ElParagon said:

[...]

I have also done this in the past. Failed on first snipe, slam the
2nd snipe closer to the bell.
Old December 24th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace,rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Richard C.

If the OP would show us the actual Auction number, we could all look
at the bids ourselves and see just what happened.

Want to bet that number is never posted?

======================================

Old December 24th 07, 04:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace,rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Richard C.

"ElParagon" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:27:26 -0500, Alan wrote:

It's very possible to get lots of bids in the last 5 seconds with
automatic sniping. If you bid 333 and some one bid 600 on the close
with someone else bidding 700 it would go for 620.

There was no reserve, according to the listing.

===========================
Post the Auction number, or give it up!

Old December 24th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace,rec.collecting.stamps,rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Richard C.

"Alan" wrote in message
Richard C. wrote:
"ElParagon" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 17:27:26 -0500, Alan wrote:

It's very possible to get lots of bids in the last 5 seconds with
automatic sniping. If you bid 333 and some one bid 600 on the close
with someone else bidding 700 it would go for 620.

There was no reserve, according to the listing.

===========================
Post the Auction number, or give it up!

Posted here 12/22

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=310007862599

=========================
Nothing at all wrong he
unklharry( 1574) US $610.00 Dec-21-07 10:16:49 PST

i***.( 29) US $600.00 Dec-21-07 10:16:59 PST

i***.( 29) US $560.00 Dec-21-07 10:16:52 PST

n***3( 3144) US $540.00 Dec-21-07 10:16:52 PST

i***.( 29) US $520.00 Dec-21-07 10:16:40 PST

n***3( 3144) US $506.50 Dec-21-07 10:16:05 PST

i***.( 29) US $500.00 Dec-21-07 10:16:32 PST

i***.( 29) US $460.00 Dec-21-07 10:16:25 PST

i***.( 29) US $440.00 Dec-21-07 10:14:49 PST

i***.( 29) US $422.00 Dec-21-07 10:12:36 PST

i***.( 29) US $400.00 Dec-21-07 10:04:08 PST

o***o( 360) US $380.20 Dec-21-07 10:11:53 PST

6***p( 34) US $333.33 Dec-21-07 09:36:46 PST

It looks like a typical end of auction frenzy by sniping - both manual and
automated.
Happens all the time. I do it frequently.
You just bid too little.

I have dealt with this company several times - always great stuff!

Richard