Morgan dollars....

Old August 26th 04, 10:52 PM
Jim Wild

Default Morgan dollars....

I understand now, how these Morgans are a coveted collection. I have an
interest in starting a collection of these in the future. However some
of these dates are just unreal. I was wondering why I could not find a
place that actually has 1892-1895 for sale. Well, no wonder! I went to
the PCGS price list to have a look at some of these things. The 1892-S
is listed at $225,000 in MS-66. Yikes! The 1895-P has a mintage of
12,880 according to the red book. The 1895-P is not even listed in PCGS.
Does that coin actually exist? Then between 1905 and 1920,,, there are
none. Why did they mint the 1921 after a 14 year break?

I do want a small collection of these beautiful coins. They are $22.00
or so for UNC 'P' mints in Coin World. I can deal with that. I suppose I
will just get a Whitman album with a couple blank dollar pages and fill
them with the P mints. (18 total) My local coin dealer told me that the
Whitman folders do not hold the coins properly. They fall out of their
ports easily. I believe in starting a collection and trying finishing
the book or at least 95% of it. But the CC's and 1892-1895's are more
than I care to deal with. Does anyone have a partial Morgan collection?
But with this coin collecting, I suppose that there are no rules, just
like cooking chili.

Jim

Old August 27th 04, 05:03 AM
UsterDay72

Subject: Morgan dollars....
From: (Jim Wild)
Date: 8/26/04 4:52 PM Central Daylight Time
[...]

Hi Jim,
I have a year set (one Morgan for each year of issue) in a Dansco Album I
enjoy a lot. They are AU's for the tougher years and Uncirculated for the
rest. I have yet to fill the 1895 hole and the 1893 hole, but I will
eventually. Another Morgan collection I enjoy and add to when I can, is a year
set of certified Morgans. That might be the place for you to start as you can
study the grading characteristics and learn what constitutes a truly
uncirculated coin. Most MS63's are attractive and reasonable for most years.
You also need to read as much as you can and some of your questions will be
answered when you do. I highly recommend the new Morgan Silver Dollar book by
Q. David Bowers. It's a paperback but a nice sized one and only runs about
$17. Well worth it.
Take your time, look at a lot of coins and buy only a few at first. Enjoy
the trip!
All the best, Pete
Old August 27th 04, 11:00 AM
Jerry Dennis

There was a nice Morgan starter set on ebay not too long ago that didn't sell.
I didn't see anything wrong with it; I just don't collect Morgans. If you
write the seller and ask, he may still have it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3925170 8
23&rd=1

Jerry

"Jim Wild" got the bitten by the Morgan bug:

Old August 27th 04, 11:45 AM
JSTONE9352

The 1892-S
is listed at $225,000 in MS-66. Yikes!

The price of a decent house in the
suburbs of much of the USA.

With these super price coins I
like to put them in that kind of
perspective and consider what
I would really want to spend the
money on (if I had that kind of money)
Old August 27th 04, 01:23 PM
PHILLIP COYLE

There is another thing about slabbed coins. Make sure that it is one of the
well known ones and not some off the wall type. I got taken that way some
time ago by not asking enough questions about who graded it. It was listed
as an MS-65 and what I got is one that I would have a hard time calling an
AU. Sure the guy said that he would take it back but I would then be out
almost 20.00 for the lost shipping. It was a no win deal and I am very shy
of slabbed coins that are not from one of the top 3 slabbers. I now keep it
as a reminder of earlier years of collecting.

Old August 27th 04, 07:23 PM
BAJJERFAN

Well it all depends on your situation of course. If it was your only $225,000
you might want to think about whats more important. Then again there are lots
of folks who could write out that $225K check for the coin without even battin
an eye. I'm glad they don't collect.